Windows 10: Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10

Discus and support Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Internet Explorer in Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 is still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by hTconeM9user, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10

How to: Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Internet Explorer in Windows 10

Internet Explorer 11 is still included in Windows 10 along with Microsoft Edge. You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer since Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, but you can turn it on and off.

If Internet Explorer is turned off, it's not available for use by any users on the PC and can't be launched for any reason, even if no other browser is available on the system. The program files to launch and use Internet Explorer are removed to a separate storage location as a backup copy so that a user can turn Internet Explorer back on.

When Internet Explorer is turned off using Windows Features, Internet Explorer is only hidden so that there is minimal impact on third-party programs (and other parts of Windows itself) that call upon Internet Explorer app services, because the Internet Explorer files that provide functionality to third parties and other parts of Windows are left intact.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to turn on or off IE11.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn Off (uninstall) Internet Explorer 11 in Windows Features
    • Option Two: To Turn On (install) Internet Explorer 11 in Windows Features
    • Option Three: To Turn Off (uninstall) Internet Explorer 11 in PowerShell
    • Option Four: To Turn On (install) Internet Explorer 11 in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn Off (uninstall) Internet Explorer 11 in Windows Features
    1. Open Windows Features.

2. Click/tap on the checked box of Internet Explorer 11 to uncheck it, and click/tap on Yes when prompted to confirm. (see screenshots below)

Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Windows will now apply the changes. (see screenshots below)

5. Click/tap on Restart now to finish turning off Internet Explorer 11. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On (install) Internet Explorer 11 in Windows Features

*note This is the default setting.
    1. Open Windows Features.

2. Check the Internet Explorer 11 box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

3. Windows will now apply the changes. (see screenshots below)

4. Click/tap on Restart now to finish turning on Internet Explorer 11. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn Off (uninstall) Internet Explorer 11 in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64" -Online
    3. When prompted to restart the computer to apply, type Y, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn On (install) Internet Explorer 11 in PowerShell

*note This is the default setting.
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64" -All -Online
    3. When prompted to restart the computer to apply, type Y, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

hTconeM9user, Oct 19, 2015

2. How do I uninstall Internet explorer 11 and install IE10?

I just installed Windows 10 with Internet Explorer 11 installed. How do I uninstall and revert to Internet Explorer 10?

[Original title: Internet explorer]

Jim Angerer, Oct 19, 2015
  3. How to reinstall Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10?How to reinstall Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10?

Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows Features On or Off, then tick ( install ) or untick ( uninstall ) "Internet Explorer", click [OK] and Restart when prompted.

For more details see - Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10

George222(2), Oct 19, 2015
  4. dkwalton Win User

Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10

Sorry folks, but this is a crock. I hate to see deliberate misinformation from Microsoft disseminated.

Before even reading this post I uninstalled Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10, restarted, checked to make sure that the Internet Explorer 11 box was unchecked, and then hit the Internet Explorer 11 shortcut on the task bar. Voila! Internet Explorer 11 launched.

I then went back to see if the status status of the check box had changed and it was still unchecked.

This was done on a clean, good install of Windows 10. Try it for yourself.

dkwalton, Apr 19, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    Before you go accusing people of misinformation, please read the Info box which clearly says you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer. However, you can turn it on or off. There is a big difference in the two.

essenbe, Apr 19, 2016
  6. dkwalton Win User
    Pardon me, sir, but I was not accusing anyone here of disinformation, I was accusing Microsoft of disseminating misinformation which unfortunately happened to be repeated here.

You are quibbling. OK fine not "uninstall", "turn off", but it does not turn off. I encourage you to try it for yourself. Internet Explorer 11 will still launch and operate as always regardless of whether the box is checked or not.

dkwalton, Apr 19, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    I did. That's why I am typing this from Edge. It works just like the tutorial says it does. I can't even find Internet Explorer with a search for it.

essenbe, Apr 19, 2016
  8. dkwalton Win User

Internet Explorer 11 is Edge.

dkwalton, Apr 19, 2016
  9. dkwalton Win User
    My bad, I was misinformed. I was led to believe that Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 was called Edge.

dkwalton, Apr 19, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    They are completely different in quite a few ways. But, no problem.

essenbe, Apr 19, 2016
  11. Adela Win User
    Please forgive my intrusion, essenbe, but where can I go to find the IE I had many years ago? It doesn't show in my Programs & Features. I have Firefox with which I'm ok, but because I'm having problems with transferring photos, I was suggested to install IE, but if it's somewhere in my computer maybe I can find it instead of struggling to try to install it?
    Again I'm sorry to intrude in this thread and thanks so much for your help. *Smile

Adela, Jul 25, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 25, 2016
  13. Adela Win User

Thank you so much Brink!!! I found it and pinned it in my taskbar, so I'll have both browsers. What I didn't find was the column at the left in the Start page. When I got Win10 I started moving/deleting around the content and I lost most of it. Have been searching very frantically to find out if there was a way to restitute that Start page as when it came with, but never got any answer. If by chance you know how, ill appreciate it a lot to let me know? No rush, I lived with this since I got Win10 so I can wait more..... lol! Again thanks so much!

Adela, Jul 25, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
  15. Adela Win User
    Oh thanks so much for the Edge Startup page for W10! I’ll go and try to see if I can reinstate that page on my computer, after I fix the IE matter.

Yes, the IE I pinned in my taskbar won't open when I click on it. It works when I go to your site, but when I close your site and I want to open the IE to do other things, it won’t open. When I right-click it says: "IE add-on installer" and "Unpin from taskbar". Any ideas?

Is it because I didn't make it the default browser? I wasn’t sure if I should since I intend to use both browsers, but just the same I wanted to do it but didn't find the place for it. Any other ideas why this IE won’t open now? Thank you again.

Adela, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Install or Uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install Uninstall Internet

2. Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Following a Windows Update, I discovered that Internet Explorer was removed without warning. I work in the security cameras industry and almost all systems sold until two years ago use plugins that are only compatible with Internet Explorer and nothing else. By taking out...
  3. Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Following a Windows Update, I discovered that Internet Explorer was removed without warning. I work in the security cameras industry and almost all systems sold until two years ago use plugins that are only compatible with Internet Explorer and nothing else. By taking out...
  4. Internet Explorer for windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internet Explorer for windows 10: Since upgrade suddenly lost internet explorer and now can not reload it. some of my applications needs ie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-for-windows-10/1d5ff8fe-08f4-41ba-80ac-d2521d87cba6
  5. internet explorer 11 uninstall from windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    internet explorer 11 uninstall from windows 10: How to completely uninstall internet explorer from windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-11-uninstall-from-windows-10/6dfe463d-c343-422b-96c7-87bca484fb5f
  6. Uninstall Internet Explorer Windows 10 . . .

Uninstall Internet Explorer Windows 10 . . .: I have, a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 Pro . . . I might be, the only one? But, I hate Internet Explorer . . . But, in the control panel. It's not listed. As an uninstall program? How can I uninstall it? If, I can't see it? I could go to, c://program files/x86. And,...
  7. Internet Explorer and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internet Explorer and Windows 10: What version of Internet Explorer should I have on my PC before installing Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-and-windows-10/03fb287c-da9f-49c2-9327-85a8b4b64205
  8. Install Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Install Internet Explorer: Install Internet Explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-internet-explorer/62308c0f-27c2-449d-b0a7-8ed8fff4f54c
  9. Internet Explorer won't uninstall.

Internet Explorer won't uninstall.: One day, Internet Explorer appeared in my taskbar, and I clicked unpin from taskbar, but it keeps popping up. I went to uninstall it, but when I get to the Programs and Features part, there is no Internet Explorer for me to uninstall. I'm very confused and getting a little...
  10. internet explorer vanished since windows 10 installed?

in Browsers and Email
    internet explorer vanished since windows 10 installed?: hi just installed windows 10 onto my acer p3 tablet/lap top . with it comes microsoft edge (which i'm not overly impressed with) , internet explorer which i still need/use for some applications mainly sky go for tv programs etc seems to have disappeared with even the icon...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does internet explorer keep installing on my taskbar and i cannot uninstall