Windows 10: Install Printer using Generic / Text Only

Discus and support Install Printer using Generic / Text Only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; We have receipt printers which connect via parallel port. We are changing to newer printers which connect via USB port. Because of an important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fred3, Sep 2, 2017.

1. fred3 Win User

Install Printer using Generic / Text Only

We have receipt printers which connect via parallel port. We are changing to newer printers which connect via USB port. Because of an important application (from our Application Service Provider), the receipt printer needs to use the Generic / Text Only driver (which also becomes the printer name when it's selected).

We have not found the magic formula to get the new printers to work.
    I have not found a way to print to the printer outside the app.
    If I run a command prompt:
    print /d:"Generic / Test Only" [path]\test.txt
    I get:
    Unable to initialize device Generic / Text Only

If I run a command prompt:
    print /d:USB001[path]\test.txt
    I get:
    Unable to initialize device USB001
    where USB001 is the (only) Virtual Printer Port for USB and assigned to this printer.

Things that have worked (all the computers are Windows 10 Pro 64):
    One computer does work:
    I didn't set this one up but my understanding is that they:Left the parallel port printer installed with the Generic / Text Only driver.
    Disconnected the parallel port.
    Connected the new printer to a USB port.
    Changed the printer properties to use the USB00n Virtual Printer Port for USB.
    and that was all .......Other computers we've tried don't seem to work:
    Best case is that we've been able to get the printer to "act like" it's printing mechanically but there's no ink on the paper. (Multiple computers, multiple printers, multiple print cartridges).
    Usual case is that we can't even get it to do that!

I'd sure like to be able to test the printer OUTSIDE the app because using the app is inconvenient and requires at least one other person.

:)

fred3, Sep 2, 2017
  2. JC_1966 Win User

WIN10 Generic Text Printing - how to generate a *.txt (as previous Windows versions)

I have a Legacy application I cannot modify that is based internally on text. I need to print it to text file. Prior to WIN10 I could install a Generic Text only printer and generate a *.txt file that I need. With WIN10 the Generic Text printer only gives
    me option of *.prn which is of no use.

I am trying to generate a *.txt I am not trying to print anything.

Best workaround so far is to print to PDF then copy that as text. However that messes up the formatting so I have to waste time correcting that to get the text output I need.

One other workaround tried was to try print to OneNote, but that gives an image, not text.

I've re-installed the driver a few times but same effect.

JC_1966, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Cloie74 Win User
    Generic/Text Driver deletes with Updates

We install the Star receipt printer, it assigns a USB port (USB 001 usually) When we install the Generic text, we install it to use that same port So they are sharing the USB001.

The star printer can also be shown under unidentified printers and still work with the Generic Text. This happens because even though the printer is showing as unidentified, it STILL assigns a USB Print driver and port.

The Generic Text driver is the bridge between the printer and whatever POS Software you are using.

Most POS Software cannot use a receipt printer without the Generic Text. Therefore every time Windows does a MAJOR update, and removes the G/T Driver on it's own it causes a tech support nightmare!

Cloie74, Sep 2, 2017
  4. Gordon7 Win User

Hi - welcome to tenforums.com try this:

Install Printer using Generic / Text Only [​IMG]

Gordon7, Sep 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Install Printer using Generic / Text Only - Similar Threads - Install Printer using

2. generic/text only printer driver for windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    generic/text only printer driver for windows 11: This is another familiar and useful Windows feature that's missing in Windows 11. Please can anyone relate how to install it?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generictext-only-printer-driver-for-windows-11/84dd73f9-00f3-4331-8bd7-3d017c4e3bc2
  3. generic/text only printer driver for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    generic/text only printer driver for windows 11: This is another familiar and useful Windows feature that's missing in Windows 11. Please can anyone relate how to install it?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generictext-only-printer-driver-for-windows-11/84dd73f9-00f3-4331-8bd7-3d017c4e3bc2
  4. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected: I have configured a generic / text only printer to print instrument and alarm status in our company. I needed the file in notepad. It previously worked, printed properly with all the right details. However, for some reason I can't determine, it has failed to show the data I...
  5. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected: I have configured a generic / text only printer to print instrument and alarm status in our company. I needed the file in notepad. It previously worked, printed properly with all the right details. However, for some reason I can't determine, it has failed to show the data I...
  6. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues

Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues: I have a virtual printer on Raspberry which is configured as raw. On windows it is defined as a Generic / Text only printer. If I have a simple txt file consisting of umlauts ä, ü, ö and when sending to a virtual printer, the data comes in corrupted , , . When saving the...
  8. Generic / Text only Driver

Generic / Text only Driver: I have a virtual printer on Raspberry which is configured as raw. On windows it is defined as a Generic / Text only printer. If I have a simple txt file consisting of umlauts ä, ü, ö and when sending to a virtual printer, the data comes in corrupted , , . When saving the...
  9. Generic / Text only Driver

Generic / Text only Driver: Good Day, How do i get the Generic / Text Only driver to work in windows 10? Regards Dexter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-text-only-driver/14f4a56a-a108-41ae-b50a-41a446e5e99f
  10. Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10

Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10: I run an application that requires printing to the Generic Text only print driver. Hsve been running it for years - fitst in WinXP, then in Windows 7 and it ran fine - no problems. Renently set up new computer with win10 pro x64 and cannot get the generic only text driver to...