Windows 10: Install/Repair Keep Option disabled

Discus and support Install/Repair Keep Option disabled in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; W-10 Build 14915 pre-release 160826-1902 Downloaded what I think is the latest iso. "Win10_1607_English_x64.iso" "CCSA_X64FRE_EN_US_DV5" I get as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cfourkays, Sep 8, 2016.

1. cfourkays Win User

Install/Repair Keep Option disabled

W-10 Build 14915 pre-release 160826-1902
    Downloaded what I think is the latest iso. "Win10_1607_English_x64.iso" "CCSA_X64FRE_EN_US_DV5"

I get as far as the "Choose what to keep" and can't get past "Nothing"

"Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory or your trying to install an older version of Windows."

I got the version from the "Brink-Link" on the tutorial.
    Thinking I might need an Insider Build, I went to the 10 Insider Preview ISO site but my only options there are:
    Insider Preview Builds 14393 and 14372.

I guess I need the ISO for 14915.
    I see a couple 3rd party downloads, one in Russian, but not sure if I want to use any of them.

Guidance????

Pete

:)

cfourkays, Sep 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 Version 1511 KB 3163018 will not install

If you have tried everything,

I see no other option than do a repair Install that would keep everything and reinstall windows .

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I hope you have disabled AV and malware scanner and then installng the update-worked for many

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 8, 2016
  3. Black Screen after Windows 10 login (even in Safe Mode)

I have tried numerous things:

Uninstalling display driver

Updating display driver

System Restore to a prior date

Startup Repair (which it says it can't repair)

Disabling Startup Options

Running SafeMode

Nothing works!

Now I keep getting a svchost.ext - Application Error.

Help is greatly appreciated.

JulieAndrews-Walker, Sep 8, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Yeah you guessed right - one can't downgrade a build and keep stuff.

Wzor is relatively safe regards clean downloads - ESD's downloaded thru' WU, however do not have a common hash, thus no way to be absolutely sure.

Superfly, Sep 8, 2016
  5. cfourkays Win User
    cfourkays, Sep 8, 2016
  6. cfourkays Win User
    Well, that didn't work.
    At least it got partially there if someone wasn't worried about settings and apps.

cfourkays, Sep 8, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    Bummer... make sure it's the exact same build, including language (prior to any language packs)

Superfly, Sep 8, 2016
  8. cfourkays Win User

You caused me to look again at the ESD.
    When I used the correct one, 7-Pro,
    it went through and did its repair worked.
    Rebooted and all is good.

I'd say that site downloads are OK to use. (With caution)
    Thanks for the help.
    And we didn't even need Brink.*chuckle

Pete

cfourkays, Sep 9, 2016
  9. Superfly Win User
    Welcome bud,

and yup, exactly... who needs @Brink anyways? What does he know? LOL!

Superfly, Sep 9, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    I've interacted with the principal behind WinAero, Sergey Tkachenko, for three years and more. He's completely on the up and up, and I've used his ISOs and other downloads, and some of his software tools are quite helpful. He's got a nice re-implementation of the Windows Experience Index, or WEI, his ESD decrypters usually come out pretty soon after the releases and have always worked for me, and his RestartExplorer has gotten me out of a jam once or twice. YMMV, but I give him two thumbs up, and blog about his work at least half-a-dozen times a year.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 9, 2016
  11. cfourkays Win User
    Thanks, Ed.
    Good to know.
    I had problems with Wzor a while back and have been careful with the non-MS downloads.
    I'll keep WinAero in my good guys folder.
    Pete

cfourkays, Sep 10, 2016
  12. Superfly Win User
    He is a member here... had a run-in with him in the early days of Tenforums about promoting his site etc... haven't seen him since.

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install/Repair Keep Option disabled - Similar Threads - Install Repair Keep

2. Windows keeps installing GPU drivers EVEN WITH OPTION to do so DISABLED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps installing GPU drivers EVEN WITH OPTION to do so DISABLED: Hi, as stated above windows updates keeps installing AMD drivers for my gpu over the ones I manually installed even though I should have disabled the option to do so both in the system setting advanced system settings > Hardware > Device installation settings > No and in the...
  3. Windows keeps installing GPU drivers EVEN WITH OPTION to do so DISABLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keeps installing GPU drivers EVEN WITH OPTION to do so DISABLED: Hi, as stated above windows updates keeps installing AMD drivers for my gpu over the ones I manually installed even though I should have disabled the option to do so both in the system setting advanced system settings > Hardware > Device installation settings > No and in the...
  4. Windows keeps installing GPU drivers EVEN WITH OPTION to do so DISABLED

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 installation, Keep files option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installation, Keep files option: Hey guys, I was just wondering which of the options I should choose when doing a windows 10 install. I am upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I want to do a fresh install, but keep my old files on my HD so I can sort through it later and transfer what I need to. I know...
  6. Windows 10 installation, Keep files option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation, Keep files option: Hey guys, I was just wondering which of the options I should choose when doing a windows 10 install. I am upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I want to do a fresh install, but keep my old files on my HD so I can sort through it later and transfer what I need to. I know...
  7. Win 10 Installation Repair Option Not Helpful

Win 10 Installation Repair Option Not Helpful: When I insert my USB drive used to install Win 10 Pro and select the Repair option a menu appears.. The menu has 3 options: Continue, Troubleshoot and Turn off PC. If I select Troubleshoot a menu appears with options for System Restore, Go Back to Previous Version and...
  8. Windows 10 installation not giving me an option to repair...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 installation not giving me an option to repair...: [ATTACH] Last night my BIOS reports "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system." BIOS boot error So I removed the boot drive and hooked it up to another PC to see if I can read it... all the files were there and...
  9. how do you disable restart automatic repair option ?

how do you disable restart automatic repair option ?: I tried the bcedit option only to get the following result Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.137] (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcedit /set recoveryenabled NO 'bcedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,...
  10. "Nothing" only choice to keep for repair install

"Nothing" only choice to keep for repair install: Hey All, I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 10 with an .iso DVD. My only choice is to keep nothing when I want to keep personal files & apps. There is a message at the bottom that says "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current...