Windows 10: install size Update vs Clean

Discus and support install size Update vs Clean in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Running on a 128GB SSD card, the Windows directory is around 50 GB's. Not much room left for anything else. Windows 8 was significantly less. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamthedood, May 5, 2015.

1. install size Update vs Clean

Running on a 128GB SSD card, the Windows directory is around 50 GB's. Not much room left for anything else. Windows 8 was significantly less.

After every update I delete the $Windows~BT directory and the Windows.old directory to free up about 8GB's.. but it's not enough.

Would a clean install remove a lot of the junk in the Windows directory or is that always going to be the size?

:)

iamthedood, May 5, 2015

2. Upgrade Vs Clean install.

Hi Baha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have a few doubts regarding Windows 10 upgrade. Let me help you.

If you are selecting Upgrade keeping all old applications and files
    your programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook (Office) etc are preserved.

If you are choosing Upgrade and delete all application and files
    all your data and application will be gone.

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a
    Clean Installon first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through
    Windows Update
    or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings >
    Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

For further reference, Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope the information helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, May 5, 2015
  3. Upgrade Vs Clean install.

Greetings:

Question: what is the percentage of speed improvement?

I understand I have 3 options moving from Windows 7 to windows 10,

• Upgrade keeping all old applications and files
    • Upgrade and delete all application and files
    • Clean install by downloading an ISO file and using that to install windows 10 from scratch.

Should I expect any technical challenges?

I use primarily MS office and web browsing.

Thanks

Baha Habashy, May 5, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

install size Update vs Clean

I'm going to take a stab at this and say you should save some space by doing a clean install. If I recall I used much less space when I did a clean install yesterday with build 10074.

HTH
    Jeff

BunnyJ, May 5, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    What on earth do you have in your Windows folder? I have Build 10074 installed on three machines, this laptop I am using at the moment has the biggest Windows folder, about 21 GB.

install size Update vs Clean [​IMG]

Kari, May 5, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    C:\Windows usually ~ 20GB:

• Delete everything in C:\Windows\Panther, those files were used during installation and no longer needed
    • Delete everything under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Windows stores all downloaded updates.
      NOTE: Don't delete while Windows Updates is running.
    • From Admin Command prompt, run: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup to reduce the size of WinSxS folder

topgundcp, May 5, 2015
  7. Roger Win User
    What's the size of your Windows SxS folder?

Roger, May 5, 2015
  8. Vladimir Win User

Build 10102 (upgrade from 10056)
    Windows folder size ~ 15GB (after deletion of unused system files)

*Smile

Vladimir, May 5, 2015
  9. Roger Win User
    Ahhh, seems like a good time to research DISM.exe and all the benefits it provides!
    I posted a few days ago that I whittled 10GB off my Win8.1 Windows SxS folder using DISM.
    Brink has posted information about using it but I think the info you're looking for was posted back in the Win7 forum.
    DISM will analyze SxS folder, advise whether it should be cleaned, and then provide a means to clean it.
    Mine dropped from 16GB to 6GB.............. YMMV......

Roger, May 5, 2015
  10. Dude Win User
    Close to 15Gb for me too. I agree with all above, clean install is the best option.

11. Roger Win User
    I've violated the clean install rule when there was no ISO available (10041?) but you can still save 9 or10GB of space by cleaning your Win SxS folder. Did you analyze yours to see if it can be reduced?

Roger, May 5, 2015
  12. Vladimir Win User
    Nice. I'll research a bit about it too.

*Smile

Vladimir, May 5, 2015
  13. Roger Win User

topguncp, you're a nice feller *Smile yep....
    smart as a whip.........................*chuckle............
    jump right in there with an answer............. yep
    and good answers too *Biggrin
    BUT:
    "QUOTE=topgundcp;234874]C:\Windows usually ~ 20GB"
    My Win8.1 machine Windows folder is 16.0GB
    my Win10/64 machine Windows folder is 12.5GB
    my Win10/32 machine is 8.28GB
    SO: Your 20GB is no where near usual *Wink
    and:
    Now that you posted the instructions on cleaning it, why don't you post the rest of the instructions on how to determine if it should be cleaned *Huh
    If I run your command to clean it and there's no change I'll be back with "didn't work!", what do I do now????*Huh
    just a thought............................*Think

Roger, May 5, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    I said ~20GB but actually it is 17.5GB to be exact.
    It is very easy to explain. Here's is my desktop Windows10X64 build 10102 with a few applications installed and yes it is 12.3 GB:

Now the question is How many applications software did you install in yours ? Don't forget when you install third party software, majority of DLL's are also put in C:\Windows, C:\Windows\system32.

The screen shot I've shown in previous post are fully functional Windows 10 Build 10074, same desktop, with tons of third party software + MS Office installed:

So The difference between 17.5GB from my previous post and 12.3 GB are from the third party software, not from Windows.

Hope this clears up the confusion !!! *Smile

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. install size Update vs Clean - Similar Threads - install size Update

2. Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems: So bear with me, this may be a little long and potentially confusing... At a client, using local AD, ~80 PCs about 60 are Win11 Pro, remaining are Win10 Pro, their policy is when they get a new system, say a Dell OptiPlex, that the system be formatted with an ISO downloaded...
  3. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  4. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  5. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Is this the correct size for clean install of Win10Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is this the correct size for clean install of Win10Pro: Hello, I have done a new install on a brand new SSD and would like to know if this is the correct size. I loaded some win7 drivers to get the device manager correct. The user profiles were moved to another partition. The only software loaded is Macrium Reflect as I made a...
  7. Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Advanced Recovery option offers recovery solutions which can help you bring back Windows 10 to a working condition. These are extreme solutions when nothing else can be done. That said, before one uses one of these solutions, its [...] This post...
  8. Clean install vs refresh or restore

Clean install vs refresh or restore: Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors I have updated to win10 from 8 which carried over all my previously installed programs, but was considering a clean install via usb and reinstalling all the...
  9. Reset vs Clean Install?

Reset vs Clean Install?: I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then running Setup. I would now like to do a clean reinstall. Since I do not have bootable external media for the notebook, I'm...
  10. Upgrade vs Clean Install

Upgrade vs Clean Install: The fix for many problems seems to be a Clean Install but this is defeating part of the test process. When 10 is released, I would bet 90% of the people who switch will do an upgrade because that is what they are being offered. Few will know what a Clean Install is, much less...