Windows 10: install SSD

Discus and support install SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Installing Preview on two ssd.128gb and 64gb. Install shows 33gb used.After update to latest version they show 58gb used. This does not happen when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fred0843, Oct 30, 2014.

1. fred0843 Win User

install SSD

Installing Preview on two ssd.128gb and 64gb.
    Install shows 33gb used.After update to latest version they show 58gb used.
    This does not happen when installed on a standard Harddrive.

:)

fred0843, Oct 30, 2014

2. SSD Installation

Your SSD vendor should have a data migration utility available. Try that to migrate just your OS and installed software to the SSD. Of course it might fail to fit depending on your current system's level of bloat. In that case the best thing to do would
    be a clean install as suggested above.

RobertJWin, Oct 30, 2014
  3. installing ssd

No, you don't need to purchase a new license. You can simply install Windows 10 and it should reactivate automatically.

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation
    Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function
    in Windows 10.

If there is a problem, you can use your Windows 7 key to reactivate:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-window...

If you wish to clone or transfer, learn how:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clone-move-win...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 30, 2014
  4. AddRAM Win User

install SSD

Pick 1 machine, choose 1 ssd, delete or format your install partition, install 9841 and get back to us with the numbers.

How much memory is involved, remember your page file takes up space.

And please fill in the specs of that machine so we can help you *Wink

AddRAM, Oct 30, 2014
  5. fred0843 Win User
    Disk shows 33gb used

Asus M4A88T-M-USB3 Motherboard
    eveg nvideo gt 420 graphic card
    AMD phemon ll x 2 560 CPU
    8gb memory

May have some thing to with the way I'm formatting the drive.
    I reformat it with parted Magic.

I did a new install with a new SSD out of the box no OS installed and it gave me 13gb used

fred0843, Oct 30, 2014
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Best is if you analyse the content with WinDirStat. Then you know exactly what's on the disk (except for the shadowstorage).

To determine the size if the used shadowstorage, you have to run this command:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

7. Ztruker Win User
    If you updated then there is a Windows.old that you need to delete.

Ztruker, Oct 30, 2014
  8. fred0843 Win User

install SSD

Windows.old only shows 6.5gb. After I remove it still 52GB used.

Two different machines and ssd. I get the same 52GB used.

Reinstall Windows 8.1 on one ssd. 22gb used. Which I think is what I should get.

fred0843, Oct 30, 2014
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Did you make the checks I suggested in post #4 and what were the results.

10. fred0843 Win User
    yes
    c: drive 52gb

win 52gb

I think win should be 13gb can not see the 39gb of use

fred0843, Oct 30, 2014
  11. AddRAM Win User
    With 8.1 or 10 and 4 GB of memory I come up with 21 GB for each OS, right on the money.

Actually, 10 Build 9841 is only 18 GB

My page file for 8.1 Pro is only 1344 MB, strange, I should raise that to 4 GB.

And it`s exactly the same with 10 *Wink But that just makes perfect sense.

AddRAM, Oct 30, 2014
  12. LittleJay Win User
    A clean install of W10 TP with the page file set at a maximum of 2 GBs takes up 19.2 on my SSD.

LittleJay, Oct 30, 2014
  13. fred0843 Win User

install SSD

What get me is a new ssd out of the box I get the right GB usage.The old ssd I get the large amount of usage.

I'll try another install of window 0 preview again.

fred0843, Oct 30, 2014
  14. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Oct 30, 2014
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    Did you look at the individual files and what they are - the big ones only.

Thema:

install SSD

1. install SSD - Similar Threads - install SSD

2. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  3. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  4. Windows is bluescreening after installing new SSD. How can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is bluescreening after installing new SSD. How can I fix this?: I recently built a PC and I have tried installing Windows 10 and 11 on a new drive. I have tried two new NVMe drivers and a SATA drive. Windows 11 seems to work better but both versions of Windows cause blue screens and system resets after I use the pc for about 2 minutes. I...
  5. Windows is bluescreening after installing new SSD. How can I fix this?

Windows is bluescreening after installing new SSD. How can I fix this?: I recently built a PC and I have tried installing Windows 10 and 11 on a new drive. I have tried two new NVMe drivers and a SATA drive. Windows 11 seems to work better but both versions of Windows cause blue screens and system resets after I use the pc for about 2 minutes. I...
  6. Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?: I built a custom PC some time ago and purchased and installed Windows 10. I recently built a new PC where I did a fresh install of a new purchased Windows 11 USB and moved the SSD from the old computer to the new one.I want to give my old PC to my parents to use. Can I...
  7. Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?

Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?: I built a custom PC some time ago and purchased and installed Windows 10. I recently built a new PC where I did a fresh install of a new purchased Windows 11 USB and moved the SSD from the old computer to the new one.I want to give my old PC to my parents to use. Can I...
  8. Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive: I have a windows 11 notebook.. further win 11 upgrade corrupted my SSD drive. Now it boots to a notebook which says there is no network hardware in notebook. I am furious that a Microsoft "ambassador" led me down a path to no results, said he was transferring me to technical...
  10. Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive

Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive: I have a windows 11 notebook.. further win 11 upgrade corrupted my SSD drive. Now it boots to a notebook which says there is no network hardware in notebook. I am furious that a Microsoft "ambassador" led me down a path to no results, said he was transferring me to technical...