Windows 10: install using gpt, uefi required?!?

Discus and support install using gpt, uefi required?!? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; is there any possibility to install w10 using gpt on and old pc without uefi?!? thanks 52181 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pietro, Jun 2, 2016.

1. pietro Win User

install using gpt, uefi required?!?

is there any possibility to install w10 using gpt on and old pc without uefi?!? thanks

:)

pietro, Jun 2, 2016
  2. VAinc Win User

Create partition for clean install of Windows 10

When you convert your disk to GPT rather than to MBR, you might need to start your machine using UEFI rather BIOS.

UEFI and BIOS are not parts of the same. They are different technologies and approaches.

Typically Windows installation media comes with two options for loading its preinstallation environment - BIOS way or UEFI way.

BIOS loaded installation environment will install windows on MBR partitions only.

If you want to install your windows on GPT disk, you might need to load installation using UEFI. Loading installation in BIOS way might refuse to install a system because it does not understand or support GPT disks. (BTW, it will state this clearly as reason
    why you can't install, when you click on that GPT partition.)

VAinc, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Why do new laptops come installed with GPT formatted hard drives?

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

You get the GPT message when you boot into the Legacy version of the install media and try to install on a GPT (UEFI) configured drive. The install media has the ability to boot as UEFI or Legacy and depending on your system, needs to be chosen at boot
    using a boot device menu. USB drives formatted as NTFS will not boot as UEFI.

Yes, you need an x64 version to be able to use UEFI of Windows 7, 8.1 or 10.

And as has been mentioned, GPT is the configuration for the Entire Drive, not just one partition.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Jun 2, 2016
  4. pietro Win User

i tried *Biggrin ok, have to prepare the partitions i nedd before installing...

pietro, Jun 2, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    No you don't. Just install and it will make the partitions it requires. Boot from your USB key, delete all partitions (assuming you don't want anything already on the disk) and then install.

lx07, Jun 2, 2016
  6. pietro Win User
    i need more than four, windows install doesn't do it

pietro, Jun 2, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    Why do you need more than 4?

As a minimum Windows requires (for BIOS) 1 partition. For EFI (which you aren't using) it requires 2.

If you partition using MBR partitioning scheme you can make the final partition extended to increase the limit of 4.

Are you trying to dualboot or something?

lx07, Jun 2, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

My experience has been that it is better to let Windows setup make the partitions on a blank disc during setup, then adjust them to what you want using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free after setup is done and Windows is running.

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  9. pietro Win User
    just a logical seperation of the hd. system, data, users etc ....

pietro, Jun 4, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    By all means create separate partitions for data and keep as much as reasonably possible away from the OS partition.

I would suggest caution if you are relocating user folders normally on C: (as is supported) - several people have got themselves into some difficulty having attempted that. You might like to search the forum to find such threads.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Storing user folders on other drives is built in properly to windows 10 - just go to setings , storage to change.

This was essential to be able to manage tablets/hybrids often with a 32GB mmc drive.

Since 10586, you can install apps as well (not sure about win32 programs).

cereberus, Jun 4, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    @Cerberus - agree, it's built in, as I said. Have you seen some of the difficulties people have found themselves in after using it?

My personal view: it's easier and safer to simply create your own folders on a separate disk/partition and use those. They can be added to the libraries if desired. Also avoids all the folders programs installed put in Documents, Videos etc.

I have moved my Desktop and Favorites elsewhere.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Yeah totally agree for sure, but regrettably many users just do not understand why (or even how) to do even basic stuff like that, and still end up using default user directories. We just forget sometimes that the average user knowledge is just not great :-(.

cereberus, Jun 5, 2016
  14. x509 Win User
    Plus, if you keep all your data on a separate partition, when (not if) you need to reload Windows, there are no concerns about backups. As long as you don't blow off all partitions on the drive as part of a clean install.

I've been doing that for like 10+ years on all the systems in my house, and that has saved me what would have been untold hours of data-recovery grief.

15. The real answer is sort of .. on a Legacy boot, you can initialize the drive as GPT and you can dism install Windows
    BUT... you lose recovery (and possibly more things) - the hidden/backup MBR in GPT drives isn't the same as a true MBR.

I suggest using an extended partition and logical drives on a Legacy boot system.
    3 Primary parts, one Extended part(with as many logical drives as you deem needed).

I'd have to see your Disk Management to advise further.

Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

dmDskmgr-vd.zip
    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console
    You'll get an output similar to this:

install using gpt, uefi required?!? [​IMG]

Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.
    Option 2: Use Disk Management in the x-Menu (right click the Windows logo, select Disk Management)
    Select View > Bottom > Disk list
    Maximize the window and grab the screen shot.

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2016
Thema:

1. install using gpt, uefi required?!? - Similar Threads - install using gpt

2. Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt: For some reason Secure boot is unsupported even though i have uefi and gpt I just wanna upgrade to windows 11 man https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secureboot-unsupported-with-uefi-and-gpt/4ecbea94-66a5-4900-8727-902125e0b6df
  3. Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt: For some reason Secure boot is unsupported even though i have uefi and gpt I just wanna upgrade to windows 11 man https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secureboot-unsupported-with-uefi-and-gpt/4ecbea94-66a5-4900-8727-902125e0b6df
  4. Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  6. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  7. MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.: I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using CMD. Now in bios I have selected UEFI and disabled legacy, but OS is not booting. How do I get it to boot?...
  8. GPT - UEFI problem, reinstall required?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT - UEFI problem, reinstall required?: Hi guys, New to the forum, thanks for the help you provided in the past *Biggrin Hope you can help as my PC is now inaccessible. Yesterday I installed the new MB and CPU/RAM. Everything was fine, I started Windows, installed chipset drivers (moved from Intel to AMD),...
  9. installing with UEFI/GPT - 1803 build

installing with UEFI/GPT - 1803 build: trying to install a UEFI/GPT setup, but keep getting "unauthorised changes on firmware/OS or UEFI drivers" message. When i disable CSM/UEFI in BIOS it works but I cant seem to get the installer to create the extra three partitions for a proper install, only one. 120137
  10. Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI: Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s). [img] [img] While both were in "normal legacy BIOS" way, non-UEFI I was able to make it dual BOOT but now my favorite, EasyBCD can't make working BOOT...