Windows 10: Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed?

Discus and support Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a W10 Home OEM DVD, and used it to install this OS on to an SSD. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble with this SSD, so I bought another one.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by W10User123, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed?

I have a W10 Home OEM DVD, and used it to install this OS on to an SSD. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble with this SSD, so I bought another one. It's the same capacity, but made by a different manufacturer. Can I install the OEM OS on to the new drive OK? Or will MS complain, thinking that I am installing this OS on to a second PC? I don't intend to keep both SSDs running for that long, but I'd like to boot between both of them for say a couple of weeks, before I'm happy that the new SSD is working OK, at which point I'll probably format the first SSD, and use it for something else. Thanks for any comments/tips, etc.

:)

W10User123, Dec 8, 2016
  2. jkmscomm Win User

when try to install w10 pro oem on disc - w10 home is instead installed

Hello. I purchased Windows 10 Pro oem(oei) disc. I have a Lenovo h30-05 desktop which came with Windows 10 Home oem. I wipe clean the hard drive that contained Windows 10 Home oem, and did a new install of Windows 10 Pro oem. It installed but the new install
    is Windows 10 Home not Windows 10 Pro. The disc has Windows 10 Pro Full Version 64-bit printed on it, and the disc sleeve has Microsoft Windows 10 Pro oem sticker with the product key. Does anyone know why this disc installs Windows 10 Home instead of Windows
    10 Pro? In my Lenovo bios, the "System Information" has the following (after I wiped the hd and before I installed Windows 10 "Pro") : Preinstalled OS License SDK0J40700 WIN -> which (it seems) to be the Windows 10 Home oem that came with the computer. Note
    that "Preinstalled OS License SDK0J40700 WIN" is still there (still recognized by bios) even when I disconnect the hard drive from the system board - And at the same time bios indicates there is no hard drive connected (which is correct). Do I have to remove
    the bios recognition of this Preinstalled OS License? If so then how do I do this? Also note that I did not activate the Windows 10 Home oem. And note that I uninstalled the Windows 10 Home oem product key in "Command Prompt (Admin)" by entering the command:
    slmgr.vbs /upk. Are there anything else I have to do for Windows 10 Pro to install? Or is this disc (maybe) Windows 10 Home and not Windows 10 Pro? Thank you.

jkmscomm, Dec 8, 2016
  3. when try to install w10 pro oem on disc - w10 home is instead installed

Because of the OEM Marker on the motherboard, it will always reinstall Windows 10 Home by default.

To work around this:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How
    to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10

After upgrading, proceed to enter the Windows 10 Pro OEM product key.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

Andre Da Costa, Dec 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed?

There won't be any issues with activation if they are both for the same computer. Running both at the same time does violate the End Users License Agreement, however.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  5. Thanks. If I attach both SSDs to the same computer, and periodically boot between them, am I right in thinking that neither installed OS will actually be running at the same, and consequently this configuration will not violate the EULA.

W10User123, Dec 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No

d. Multi use scenarios.
    (iv) Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  7. If the OP purchases a Retail version, would that allow him to run two versions on the same machine ?

storageman, Dec 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If the computer had an OEM originally than yes. 1 license = 1 installation of Windows, regardless of if it is retail license or OEM license. But I sure wouldn't purchase a second license just for testing and troubleshooting an SSD.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  9. Thanks. So it's OK to install the W10 OEM OS on to a second drive, connected to the same PC as the first drive, providing that I don't use the initial install of it on the initial first drive? (I could wipe it, for instance.) The reason I ask for clarification on this matter is that I remember years ago when installing an MS OEM OS on to hardware, if there were more than 3 changes to that hardware, the installation/registration of it might not be successful.

W10User123, Dec 9, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    The EULA/End User License Agreement has words to the effect of the Retail version is allowed to be installed on a REPLACEMENT computer, can't be on 2 computers at the same time. As mentioned the OEM version is tied to the computer it came with, can't be moved/used again. The change with Win10's digital entitlement does make things somewhat questionable as to what we can actually do.

Berton, Dec 9, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You won't have any problems with activation on the same motherboard.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed? - Similar Threads - Install W10 Home

2. Upgrade W10 Pro to W11 Pro with programs installed on two drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade W10 Pro to W11 Pro with programs installed on two drives: I'm running W10 Pro on a machine withe a relatively small SSD C drive, so I have installed most of the apps on a different, large disk to save space and thus have two sets of Program Files and Program Files x86 directories, one set on each of the C and E drives. I would like...
  3. Upgrade W10 Pro to W11 Pro with programs installed on two drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade W10 Pro to W11 Pro with programs installed on two drives: I'm running W10 Pro on a machine withe a relatively small SSD C drive, so I have installed most of the apps on a different, large disk to save space and thus have two sets of Program Files and Program Files x86 directories, one set on each of the C and E drives. I would like...
  4. recovery drive of W10 Home

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery drive of W10 Home: I have decided, for 'just in case something happens', to make a recovery drive of my Windows 10 Home (version 10.0.19042) on a 32gb usb drive. In doing so, Windows has deleted most of my personal documents on the C: drive (mostly doc/pdf/xls), but not some of the ones on...
  5. New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please

New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please: I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 Slim (A515-54) It shipped with W10 Home on a 500G NVME SSD. The W10 Home key is apparently set in the BIOS. It also has a space to hold a second (regular) SSD, and came with a bracket\ribbon for this purpose. I installed the second drive,...
  6. New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please

in Windows 10 Support
    New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please: I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 Slim (A515-54) It shipped with W10 Home on a 500G NVME SSD. The W10 Home key is apparently set in the BIOS. It also has a space to hold a second (regular) SSD, and came with a bracket\ribbon for this purpose. I installed the second drive,...
  7. Re-install OEM version of W10 Home

Re-install OEM version of W10 Home: A few years back Dec 2015 I bought my laptop with an OEM version of W10 Home and Office Home but in the meantime I have done consulting work for two different companies who each installed W10 Enterprise and Office365; I needed to integrate into their infrastructure. However,...
  8. Windows 10 Home OEM install

Windows 10 Home OEM install: Hey, I had something strange occur with an install today, and hoping someone can help me. I have a laptop that had Win 10 Ent installed. Using Windows 10 Home install media I booted into the install, deletyed all previous partitions from the previous Windows 10 Ent...
  9. Two W10 drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two W10 drives: I just got a new DELL with a single HDD. I would like to take the system drive from my old HP Pavilion and install it as a second drive in the DELL (The drive is a very nice new WD). When I first boot up, the PC will see two system drives. Will this cause a problem? How...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. preinstalled os license sdk0j40700 win

2. preinstalled os license windows 10 SDK0J40700 WIN