Windows 10: Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ?

Discus and support Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ? I am helping a friend with his Asus laptop. The hard drive is damaged, and there is no hope of using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobDownUnder, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ?

Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ?

I am helping a friend with his Asus laptop. The hard drive is damaged, and there is no hope of using the recovery (re-install) partition on his hard drive.
    He was wary of the cost of a new drive, and the cost of a new W10 Pro license, and is seriously considering purchase of a new laptop.
    I have popped in a second hand 40GB drive, that scans OK, and I would like to do the following -
    1) Download the W10 64bit ISO (I am doing that now, using the Media Creation Tool running in my W10 desktop)
    2) Install the W10 64bit ISO into his laptop/
    3)Demonstrate it to him, and tell him that all he has to do is purchase a license within 30 days.

Is all of that do'able ?
    IE Can I install it now and register it a bit later ?

Thanks,
    Rob
    PS I have an unused copy of W8 Pro (still in the box with a License)
    I offered to give that to him, but his wife(who owns the laptop) is convinced that Software being released now and in the future, won't work in W8. I don't believe that is the case. What do you all think ?

PPS I was responding guys, when the later posts came in, so I am a bit confused.
    I will hold back from muddying the waters until I read the links in the latest post

:)

RobDownUnder, Oct 6, 2017

2. How do I change which version of Windows 10 I will get?

Hello,

Where exactly are you able to unlock W10 Pro? I did a clean install of W10 Home by accident and can't activate it with my W8 Pro key. IF I can convert my W10 Home edition to W10 Pro, I can use my key to activate without having to reinstall W8 and upgrade
    it to W10. Please let me know how you unlocked W10 Pro.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andre

MagicalMind, Oct 6, 2017
  3. elymebill Win User
    Has anyone used the free upgrade for w10 pro from w8.1 pro and had windows w10 home installed?

I have upgraded two separate laptops. Both have installed w10 home in lieu of w10 pro. Both laptops have been OEM's. Any one else have the problem. I called Microsoft without a call back as yet.

elymebill, Oct 6, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

He can use any legitimate 7, 8 or 10 key of the same edition as long as it's not installed on another machine. It should also self activate with digital license tied to his MS account if he has one.

Tony K, Oct 6, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - just skip key entry during installation - it will activate automatically.

cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Since this is a laptop....odds are that it's an OEM install and most likely wont self activate using the ISO from the media creation tool. More than likely a phone call to MS to reactivate it is going to be needed. And for that you can use this link.......
    Activate Office 2010 - Office Support

Plankton, Oct 6, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I do not think you really know what you are talking about.

Firstly link is for MS Office not Windows.

Secondly, virtually all installations get granted a digital licence unless running a very old version of Windows 10.

It is totally irrelevant if it's an oem install or a retail stand-alone install.

Anyway, as hard drive has failed, and unless he had a record of original key, how could MS reactivate it anyway?

Even if key was oem, OP would not need to call MS.

OP would only need to call MS if there was no digital licence, and the oem key (assuming he knew it) failed to activate. This is VERY UNLIKELY.

cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Oct 6, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    I agree. He stated he had Windows 10 Home Anniversary update, but the thing is it was on the HD he was placing on another MoBo in another machine, of which if he signed in with an MS account I think it would still be activated or will activate if not so. Unfortunately the OP did not post his results so we'll never know.

Actually it is the rest of the discussions in the thread that I wanted to point this OP to for reference/knowledge.

Tony K, Oct 6, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    The original RTM 10240 called it a 'digital entitlement'. The name later changed to a 'digital licence', but as far as the activation servers are concerned it's one and the same thing.

12. Sorry if I was not clear.
    The original drive (the one that came with the Asus laptop) is 750GB. It originally had W8, and during the free period it was auto updated to W10 Pro 64bit.
    That drive is disintegrating (severely), and cannot boot (continuously attempts to repair, and cannot complete that)
    I had a 40GB lying around, that probably had XP in it in the past.
    I have replaced the 750GB with the 40GB, and I wish to install W10 Pro 64bit into it

RobDownUnder, Oct 6, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Then it will activate automatically - no need to buy a new licence.

cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    We understood you. It will activate. If by any chance he/you have a problem, run the activation troubleshooter.

Tony K, Oct 6, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Then it has a digital licence on Microsoft's activation servers. A change of HDD doesn't count as a significant hardware. Being a W8 machine it should have the original key embedded in the firmware. Setup should find this and install Pro again without asking for a key.

If it doesn't, choose to install Pro and skip entering a key if asked. Activation will be automatic as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

Thema:

1. Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ? - Similar Threads - Install W10 Pro

2. I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro installed without a Product Key and no repercussions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro installed without a Product Key and no repercussions.: I purchased a computer made in 2008 from a trading site. It came without a hard drive. I installed a new SSD and downloaded the Media Creation Tool and installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I installed it without a Product Key. I read that there would be a watermark and I would...
  3. I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro installed without a Product Key and no repercussions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro installed without a Product Key and no repercussions.: I purchased a computer made in 2008 from a trading site. It came without a hard drive. I installed a new SSD and downloaded the Media Creation Tool and installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I installed it without a Product Key. I read that there would be a watermark and I would...
  4. I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro installed without a Product Key and no repercussions.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. W10 pro not recognizing on w11 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 pro not recognizing on w11 key: I got my driver wiped out and need to install new windows. My system downgraded to windows 10 but it won't accept my windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-pro-not-recognizing-on-w11-key/a698d68f-6be5-436d-a014-3d7067aa91e7
  6. W10 pro not recognizing on w11 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 pro not recognizing on w11 key: I got my driver wiped out and need to install new windows. My system downgraded to windows 10 but it won't accept my windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-pro-not-recognizing-on-w11-key/a698d68f-6be5-436d-a014-3d7067aa91e7
  7. W10 pro not recognizing on w11 key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Upgrade pre-installed Home to Pro without a key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade pre-installed Home to Pro without a key: Hello - I have a pre-installed Home version which I am looking to upgrade to a Pro version. I already have a key bought from elsewhere but the system does not take the key when I enter it as it is the key for a pro version. I would thus like to be able to install the Pro...
  9. W10 Workstation Pro edition - Anybody here yet

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Workstation Pro edition - Anybody here yet: Hi folks Just wondering if anybody on these Forums is usimg Windows 10 Workstation Pro yet and if so what's the difference between that and standard W10 Pro or W10 Enterprise. Cheers jimbo 116495
  10. How to re-install W10 without losing activation key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to re-install W10 without losing activation key: After a spectacular crash on my Acer Aspire laptop, I spent several hours on MS Chat who were as helpful as possible. However, the conclusion was that a re-installation was necessary. I downloaded the .iso advised by MS and formatted a USB device ready to boot. However, I...