Windows 10: INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help

Discus and support INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I don't understand why people think that the USB must be formatted with FAT32, This restriction is only applied to the UEFI Firmware prior to version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cereberus, Apr 4, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help

It really does vary from device to device. My laptop will not boot from an ntfs formatted pc and it is about 4 years old. Fat32 is guaranteed to work on all pcs.

This document from MS last year is quite categoric about the EFI partition being fat32.

I accept that may not apply to winpe but nonetheless.

UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
  2. RBCC Win User

Two questions :
    What is the maximum size for the file Install.wim? ANd HOw do I make a bootable from a bootable USB and make it sure it will boot?? JOhn*Sleepy

:)

3. Error code 0xc0000428 after installing Windows udates on Windows 10.

Error 0xC0000428

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for INSTALL.wim of the Windows 10 image. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

download the Windows 10 ISO
    file and install it from the bootable media. See

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Apr 16, 2018
  4. INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help

windows 10 preview 14986 iso will not fit on a dvd

I have downloaded 14986 insider preview build the size of the build is 4.8 GB and not fitting on DVD. How to create bootable USB from ISO.

Narasimha MurthyKasibhotla, Apr 16, 2018
  5. SIW2 Win User
    There isn't a max size for install.wim as far as I know.

If you are using fat32 filesystem on your usb drive - there is a 4gb limit on file size.
    In that case you could split the wim , or just use exfat filesystem instead.

Easiest way is to use something like Rufus to extract the normal MS iso file to usb.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Then replace the normal usbdrive\sources\install.wim with your larger one

6. cereberus Win User
    Usb drive will not boot from an exfat or ntfs partition of uefi as most are.

What you can do is have a bootable fat32 partition and an ntfs partition

This link gives general idea

USB Flash Drives, UEFI and large WIMs | Mikes Tech Blog

cereberus, Apr 16, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Thanks for that info

I always wondered why I couldn´t get a 64GB USB drive to boot on a UEFI computer whereas an 8GB drive worked just fine.

Did your suggestion and partitioned the drive

Booted just fine.

Nice still to learn something new everyday.

There is another "get around" -- you can with a USB3 drive create both a Winpe (Macrium recovery) and a Linux live distro on a larger (better have a USB 3 one) device .

If the boot partition (/boot) is made XFS or EXT4 you at boot will get a prompt to select either the Macrium recovery (WIN PE) or the Linux Distro -- good to have both tools on a reasonably fast USB device. The Macrium recovery should be NTFS and the Linux can be any file system the distro supports. There's no reason why you couldn't do this method to have Windows install partition as well. Linux only needs about 4GB (if that for live distro) so plenty of space for the rest -- /boot only needs to be about 500MB as well.

You could also add another bootable tool like a partition manager on it (but with the live Linux distro you can install GPARTED anyway).

The Linux /boot will support multi booting from the USB3 stick -- I've found this an excellent "recovery" system used loads of times.

Thanks though about the exfat thing on UEFI.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 16, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

You can compress the wim file

Samuria, Apr 16, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    the problem is in booting the wretched thing in the first place !!!!

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 16, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    Not by much - maybe 25%.

cereberus, Apr 16, 2018
  11. cereberus Win User
    Your alternative solution sounds like a Heath Robinson solution - *chuckle.

INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help [​IMG]

cereberus, Apr 16, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    For the adventurous, or incurably curious, Kari has a tutorial on dealing with .wim files of 4GB or greater size: DISM -- Split install.wim file. Check it out. Fun stuff!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 16, 2018
  13. topgundcp Win User

I don't understand why people think that the USB must be formatted with FAT32, This restriction is only applied to the UEFI Firmware prior to version 2.0.
    My PC is 5 year old MSI-Z77 and all bootable are formatted with NTFS. The only restriction is: All disks/USB must be MBR disk type to support both UEFI and MBR. See screen shot:
    • PE_BAKE (customized version of PE similar to KYHI's) set as Active for both MBR and UEFI boot (Disk 2).
    • Win10 Installation UEFI only since only one partition can be set Active on the same internal disk (Disk 2). To be able to boot with MBR, set this partition Active.
    • Macrium Rescue is on internal disk (Disk 3) Set Active for both MBR and UEFI boot.
    • Another version of Windows 10 Installation on a Removable Sandisk. Formatted with NTFS since the Install. wim is 4.7GB, slip stream with the latest update of Version 17133.73

NOTE: If the USB does not boot, might need to run from admin command: bootsect /nt60 X: where X: is the drive letter of the USB
    NOTE 1: When ever a new version is available, just use 7-ZIP, set it to override to unzip all the files from ISO. No need to use Rufus , No need to re-format.

INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 16, 2018
Thema:

1. INstall.wim maximum size and Bootable USB to bootable ISO help - Similar Threads - INstall wim maximum

2. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  3. Bootable USB problem - no run from ISO?

Bootable USB problem - no run from ISO?: Hi. I ve created USB f32 format, moved win10 ISO from the official website, the Microsoft just stuck in Verifying DMI pool data when I selwct it to boot. I did previously in CMD select partition of the USB to be active. Best regards....
  4. Bootable USB - Does size matter?

Bootable USB - Does size matter?: Hello- I am completing my first computer build from scratch and will soon get to the step where I install Windows from a flash USB. Regarding the USB itself, I have read that 8 GB is a minimum. Is there such thing as too big? I have a 256 GB pen drive, I'm not sure if the...
  5. Bootable ISO Failure

Bootable ISO Failure: To start, last January, due to a mangled Windows 10 Home (skipping the details), I created and booted into the USB ISO, chose the option "Install Windows and keep files", which installed a new, clean copy. Last Friday, I suddenly lost my WiFi Internet, and have not yet been...
  6. USB Bootable

USB Bootable: Using Tutorial below. .(Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC.) After step 7. I don't get step 8 to select USB I get :- 8GB of free disk space needed on (C:) Move files you no longer need or use Disk Cleanup to create space then try again Help please.. Thanks 152136
  7. Bootable USB help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bootable USB help: Hi, so my laptop uses aptio setup utility and I really need to boot windows 10 from USB. The problem is I've tried almost everything that I can think of or what the internet has told me and nothing seems to work, the only thing that all these options have had in common is I...
  8. Converting old bootable DVDs to ISO or directly to bootable USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Converting old bootable DVDs to ISO or directly to bootable USB: So I have decided to finally, finally get rid of all my CDs and DVDs. For non-bootable program installs or data, I simply copied all the files to a folder on a very large HDD.*Cool But I also have these bootable CDs for Win XP and Windows 7. I don't want to simply pitch...
  9. 12GB WIM File (Making it into a bootable USB Installer)

12GB WIM File (Making it into a bootable USB Installer): Hello everyone, I'm trying to automate a Windows 10 installation with my customized WIM image. From the tutorials I've read, the best practice is to split the DMG (which doesn't do the windows setup screen for automation using autounattend.xml) or creating two partitions...
  10. System Crash & Bootable USB With Win10 ISO

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Crash & Bootable USB With Win10 ISO: Background Info next followed by my main ?'s listed at the very bottom A few months back my Laptop that came with Win 8.0, upgraded to 8.1, and finally to W10 crashed. My son installed Win7 but I didn't like it. I typed out some help issues regarding this to an on-line...