Windows 10: Install WIN 10 on a PC tha has a WIN 7 key.

Discus and support Install WIN 10 on a PC tha has a WIN 7 key. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Searched the forum for possible solutions but did not find any. I have machine to convert to Win 10. The PC came with WIN 7 installed, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Geoff Daniell, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Install WIN 10 on a PC tha has a WIN 7 key.

Hi,

Searched the forum for possible solutions but did not find any.

I have machine to convert to Win 10. The PC came with WIN 7 installed, but this was replaced with Win XP ( the current installed OS).

I have a USB media stick with WIN 10 on it created from a direct download.

Can I simply wipe the HDD, and then directly install WIN 10 seeing I have a win 7 key available?

:)

Geoff Daniell, Mar 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 and 7 Pro OEM activation

Hi,

From what I understand the Win 10 Pro OEM key can be used to activate Win 7 Pro OEM. Bascially I have a request to build a PC with Win 7 Pro, as this is need for the software used by the business. I have run out of copies
    of Win 7 Pro OEM.

I've tried using a Win 10 Pro OEM key for a Win 7 Pro OEM activation, but it's not working, tells me the key is not valid. Am I suppose to install Win 10 pro OEM, activate it, and then install Win 7 pro OEM, and activate
    with the same key. I'm still getting orders for PCs with Win 7 Pro, and finally run out of copies.

What is the correct procedure to activate an Win 7 Pro OEM install with a Win 10 Pro OEM key?

Thanks

DavidKent1, Mar 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade

I recently upgraded my Win 7 pc to Win 10. But it isn't up to running win 10! if I upgrade or replace my pc, can I just install a clean copy of win 10 and use the win 7 activation key to install the new os?

Martinoleary, Mar 12, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Install WIN 10 on a PC tha has a WIN 7 key.

So long as it is latest version and you have your windows 7 key, then that will work.

You do not need to format disk, just delete all partitions.

cereberus, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Thanks for the response.

I am busy doing a backup of the files and folders. There is only one partition.

Plug in the media stick and run the process?

This assumes the Win 7 key is still stored somewhere in the machine.

Geoff Daniell, Mar 12, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Hang on - you need to know your key. Windows 7 keys are probably not stored as you installed xp. If pc came with windows 7, key is usually on a blue sticker on base of pc.

cereberus, Mar 12, 2016
  7. Yes the key is on the bottom of the PC.

Geoff Daniell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Install WIN 10 on a PC tha has a WIN 7 key.

1. Install WIN 10 on a PC tha has a WIN 7 key. - Similar Threads - Install tha has

2. Win 7 to Win 10 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 7 to Win 10 key: I have a laptop with win7 key OEM, I updated to windows 10 without problem. Now the Hard Disk is failed, I replace it and now I cant install win 10 with the same key, What can I do?...
  3. Win 7 to Win 10 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 to Win 10 key: I have a laptop with win7 key OEM, I updated to windows 10 without problem. Now the Hard Disk is failed, I replace it and now I cant install win 10 with the same key, What can I do?...
  4. Win 7 to Win 10 key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 7 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 key: Had to reinstall Win 7. Bought from closing computer store. Label Part No. :X18-81962going to repair Internal Part: FQC-08289 Win Pro 7 SP1 x64 English 1pk DSP OEI DVDEnd Item PN : FQC-08289 Carton N0. :SP14000106218COA Barcodes : 00186091927986 Installed 2 yrs ago. Drive...
  6. Win 7 key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 key: Had to reinstall Win 7. Bought from closing computer store. Label Part No. :X18-81962going to repair Internal Part: FQC-08289 Win Pro 7 SP1 x64 English 1pk DSP OEI DVDEnd Item PN : FQC-08289 Carton N0. :SP14000106218COA Barcodes : 00186091927986 Installed 2 yrs ago. Drive...
  7. Win 10 installation with win 7 key still possible?

Win 10 installation with win 7 key still possible?: I bought an win 7 pro key several year ago. I used it and upgraded it later on my old PC to win 10 and used it without any problem. Now I bought a new pc. I tried using me win 7 key to install win 10 but it won't work. When I upgraded it on the old one it didn't even asked...
  8. Win 7 key

Win 7 key: Hello I have win 7 key oem , i tried to use it on my pc to activate win 10 pro and the windows was activated is this normal ?? Also when i tried to check the type of key on my pc after using win 7oem key it's appear retail how this happend???...
  9. Clean install win 10 on win 7 running PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install win 10 on win 7 running PC: I have intel i5 6th generation PC that has Windows 7 Professional 32bit. If I do windows 10 clean install Can I get windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-win-10-on-win-7-running-pc/29e86df3-77a2-4af8-9b7a-7b9fcadbe3c8
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?: Hello All: I just did the free upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I was quite surprised to see that MS still offered the free upgrade. MY PC is a CTO which came with Win 7 Home, 6 years ago. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of a few new drivers for some...