Windows 10: Install Win 10 on new computer build and keep old computer running

Discus and support Install Win 10 on new computer build and keep old computer running in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am in the process of building a new PC. After updating the old existing Win 7 32 bit desktop to Win 10, can I do a clean Win 10 64 bit install on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xITguy, Sep 2, 2015.

1. xITguy Win User

Install Win 10 on new computer build and keep old computer running

I am in the process of building a new PC. After updating the old existing Win 7 32 bit desktop to Win 10, can I do a clean Win 10 64 bit install on the new build and keep the old computer running while I install all the necessary programs and files?
    In previous versions, we could install software on the computer and have 30 days to activate before we lost functionality. Is this still true for Win 10 or would I need to contact MS to get delayed activation permission for the new build in order to load it with software and test it out before making the change over?

:)

xITguy, Sep 2, 2015
  2. RandyRick Win User

Building new computer, can I clone Windows 10 and just apply new retail key

I'm building a new computer with parts I have selected (I7-6700K) but would like to keep my current computer (I7-3770) as a backup.

I have Windows 10 Pro installed on it (but am not sure if its retail or OEM how does one tell?). Upgraded from Win7>8>8.1>10

For the old computer Windows is on its own 256mb SSD. Applications are on either a 1TB SSD or 2gb SATA drive.

Goal:

For my old I7-3770 system, I would run it on a backup copy of the current Windows 10 Pro and keep it as a backup computer.

I would like to bring the current system SSD and two application disks over to my new I7-6700k and just install a fresh license key from a retail Win 10 cd. Or install from CD if necessary, but retaining the registry with the applications.

is this do-able? any gotchas?

RandyRick, Sep 2, 2015
  3. new coputer

If i build a new computer can I transfer all my stuff to use on a new computer I have win 10 pro on my old computer

alan cobra1, Sep 2, 2015
  4. tamo Win User

Cant be done . You need to do an in place upgrade from win 7 ,8 ,8,1 to activate then clean install . windows 10 will clean install on your new pc but will never activate even if you have a valid product key for win 7 ,8 ,8.1 .

tamo, Sep 2, 2015
  5. MS has drastically changed the activation method for the free Win10 Upgrade. Unlike with previous OS versions, you can not enter the product key of an earlier OS version to activate; instead, the activation is done automatically as part of the in-place Upgrade. And, you're not going to get permission to delay the activation -- it simply won't activate the way you're planning to do the install.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Win 10 on new computer build and keep old computer running - Similar Threads - Install computer build

2. Building a new Computer-Win 11 Install question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Building a new Computer-Win 11 Install question: I am building a new machine which will have 2- 1tb m.2 ssd drives and several HDD storage drives. Question is when to install Win 11. Do I install the primary m.2 drive that will be the C drive and install the OS or can I install both m.2 drives and the HDD drives before...
  3. Building a new Computer-Win 11 Install question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Building a new Computer-Win 11 Install question: I am building a new machine which will have 2- 1tb m.2 ssd drives and several HDD storage drives. Question is when to install Win 11. Do I install the primary m.2 drive that will be the C drive and install the OS or can I install both m.2 drives and the HDD drives before...
  4. new computer build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new computer build: can i put my existing hard drive with win 10 on a new computer build https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-build/5b16ff02-4555-4139-9664-8e5af6ca70fc
  5. Building a new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Building a new computer: Hello! I currently have Windows 10 Pro on my PC, building a new computer from scratch tomorrow and I have the installer on a USB key. How can I re-use my key? Is that possible? Thanks! submitted by /u/MSK13 [link] [comments]...
  6. New Computer Build, Fresh Win 10 install, no network or internet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Computer Build, Fresh Win 10 install, no network or internet access: Hello. New build. Asus B360M-A MB. Install, reinstall of Win 10 Pro. No apps are installed Runs fine, but cannot connect to the network. NIC does not receive an IP via DHCP. If I enter a static address, doesn't help, fix issue. Can ping loopback. I've tried all the netsh...
  7. transfer of contacts old old win 7 comp to new win 10 computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer of contacts old old win 7 comp to new win 10 computer: I have copied the .pst file from old computer that seems to be contacts or an old back up or something as is dated older than when all data moved to new comp, how do I get the latest file of all contacts, but in trying to import into new email setup (Microsoft 2010) it keeps...
  8. Install old computer on new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install old computer on new computer: I have an HP LaserJet 1018 printer. There is no driver for Windows 10. This printer was installed on my Windows 7 laptop when I upgraded to Window 10. After the upgrade, the printer still worked fine. I now have a new Windows 10 laptop and I would like to be able to use...
  9. Old game wont run on new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old game wont run on new computer: My old computer crashed and I purchased a new one. Both came with windows 10 but now an old game will not run though it did on the old one. Game comes with DirectX 3 but it is being blocked somehow. Any ideas as to a fix?...
  10. New install of Win 10 on older computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New install of Win 10 on older computer?: I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and HDD with some spare parts I had. The HDD had a old installation of Win 10 from when I replaced it with a SSD. The laptop is...