Windows 10: Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home

Discus and support Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Guys, On my laptop, I had Windows 8.1 Base/ Home pre installed. Then I updated the laptop to Windows 10 Home successfully. If I can now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fahid, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Fahid Win User

Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home

Hello Guys,
    On my laptop, I had Windows 8.1 Base/ Home pre installed. Then I updated the laptop to Windows 10 Home successfully.

If I can now somehow buy a Windows 7 Pro license and install W7 Pro on this laptop and then upgrade it to W10. Will it then be a W10 Pro installation with a new W10 license or will it still get the old W10 Home license which was previously activated on this laptop?

I checked an well known online shop giving a good price on W7 Pro license. And who wouldn't love to have W10 Pro instead of W10 Home!

:)

Fahid, Aug 4, 2015
  2. S.K. LAM Win User

How to downgrade the Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 7 Home)

It means there is no way for Win 10 Pro downgrade to Win 10 home (upgrade from Win 7 Home) unless I reinstall the win 7 home then upgrade to win 10 home?

If I do the clean install of that PC installed Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home (upgraded from Win 7 Home) and skipped the inserting key steps then connect internet, will my PC activate automatically for Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro?

S.K. LAM, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Mr Tarks Win User
    Reserving Windons 10 Pro Edition

Hi

I only have 1 PC that is currently running Win 8.1 Home. I have reserved my copy of Win 10 so I should end up with Win 10 Home.

I have a Genuine Win 7 Ultimate DVD that's is not currently installed. I have read that this would normally get upgraded to Win 10 Pro edition.

What are my options if I want to get upgraded to Win 10 Pro.? Is it possible to reserve Win 10 Pro ver without having to downgrade now from Win 8.1 to Win 7 ?

I have tried to install windows 7 alongside win 8.1 but the win 7 installation fails.

Thank you.

Mr Tarks, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Fahid Win User
    Thanks but can you please be a little more specific in my foreseen scenario?

I have already upgraded the device to W10 Home because of W8.1 OEM license.

It is said that MS server binds a specific certificate to my Hardware hash.

Wouldn't it just take my device's hardware hash and just validate my installtion through the certificate that is already associated to my device hardware profile, wherein the Edition of Win10 is Win10 Home?

Fahid, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If the PC is activated with 7 Pro, it'll update the registration for Windows 10 Pro when upgrading to 10.

If you were to clean install 10 instead, then yeah you would get what it was last activated with, which in your case would be Windows 10 Home.

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Fahid Win User
    Now that explains it much better.
    If I upgrade from W7P - I get W10P
    If I perform clean install - I get the license of my Last upgrade

Like if after upgrading from W7P to W10P, next clean install will get me W10P and not W10H, am I right?

Fahid, Aug 4, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

as Brink says -- it WILL give you W10 RTM PRO

However in order to do this do the following steps. Note SWITCH OFF PROTECTED BOOT in the BIOS if you have it and also UEFI (keeps it simpler - W7 runs into problems sometimes with UEFI boot)

1) BACKUP existing system - in case of failure so at least you will be able to restore and have a working system again.
    2) Clean install W7 - and I mean CLEAN install W7 -- DO NOT ENTER PRODUCT KEY at this stage. At install delete all the Windows existing partitions using the options in the install menu -- or format HDD before starting.

The install menu will show you your existing partitions when it asks you where would you like to install Windows - from the options just delete all the partitions on the HDD you want Windows on. (Don't delete your DATA partitions or other HDD partitions of course).

3) Depending on your W7 ISO you might have to download 1GB or more of updates --even on an SP1 ISO. You MUST APPLY ALL UPDATES before any W10 update.
    5) Don't install any USER applications apart from say Drivers (video / card readers etc).
    6) Activate Windows - either directly over the Internet --if it doesn't activate first time then choose change product key and enter your W7 key.
    7) after all this just Re-boot. You should see after the reboot the Windows Update Logo in the system area (normally Right hand side of bottom taskbar). Don't use this as this generates an email to Ms. Keep following the instructions here to complete upgrade process.

8) Apply your update using the Media creation tool -- now you'll have updated RTM W10 PRO edition.

(Depending on where you live you might be prompted DURING the install process that the Update to W10 is ready - I Ignored that and updated via the media creation tool - worked fine).

Note there are a LOT of updates from W7 from a clean re-install of it. There are over 1GB of downloads -- If you want W10 pro it's easier if you can find a CHEAP W8 or W8..1 Pro !!! to upgrade from.

Note also - Installing from "Activated" systems using unofficial activators or unofficial KMS servers WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED after Install so only use VALID KEYS.

Cheers

Jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Fahid Win User
    What about the clean install thereafter?

Once I have upgraded my device to Win 10 Pro from Win 7/8.1 Pro

Now, will a clean install give me Win 10 Pro?
    or Win 10 Home, because I have previously upgraded this device to Win 10 Home from Win 8.1 Base/ Home?

If a clean install will still get me Win 10 Home, then why bother buying Win 7/8 Pro at all even for One Euro

Fahid, Aug 4, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I thought the whole idea was to get Windows 10 PRO when your original installation was a W10 HOME edition.

If you just want the W10 HOME edition simply upgrade from the OS you already have.

However assuming you want and have W10 PRO already on your PC (and activated) a CLEAN install of W10 will keep it activated and as W10 PRO --YOU DO NOT NEED TO RE ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEY.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  11. tamo Win User
    This is nearly exactly the way I had to do it from a retail copy of W8.1PRO that I had . I was unable to use the bios/uefi embedded product key which was also WIN 8.1 PRO . which I though was/is odd so if any thoughts on that Jimbo give me a shout please .

Thanks
    If you follow Jimbos instructions you wont go far wrong .

12. Fahid Win User
    Thanks a lot all you guys, you are the helping hand I needed to clear my mind. Thanks

Fahid, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home - Similar Threads - Install Pro already

2. Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro: I have just bought laptop MSI WS66 11UKT which came with pre installed Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit Ver.2009.I want to upgrade the OS to Windows 10 Pro. But before that I want to make a clean install for it. I have Windows 10 Pro with DVD inside the...
  3. Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro: I have just bought laptop MSI WS66 11UKT which came with pre installed Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit Ver.2009.I want to upgrade the OS to Windows 10 Pro. But before that I want to make a clean install for it. I have Windows 10 Pro with DVD inside the...
  4. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro Upgrade: I have purchased online Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro upgrade. My Internet connection failed during upgrade download. Activation key was not received with the Invoice. How to restart download and activate Win 10 Pro?...
  5. upgrade win 7 pc to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade win 7 pc to win 10: hey.this is my desctop pc for my work place.i want to upgrade win 7 to win 10.i use import software about my work place.if i upgrade with windows update assistant my software maybe removed/?//?...
  6. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  7. win 10 home upgrade to win 10 pro

win 10 home upgrade to win 10 pro: how do i upgrade win 10 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-home-upgrade-to-win-10-pro/8cd98369-24b6-4a40-ae10-4e67706373f3
  8. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...
  9. upgrade win 10 home to win 10 pro

upgrade win 10 home to win 10 pro: i try to upgrade my laptop with pre-installed windows 10 home to windows 10 pro. but there is an eror with activate the serial number of windows 10 pro. i have tried by online with: start--setting--update & security---activation---go to microsoft store an error as pictured...
  10. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917