Windows 10: Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

Discus and support Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell workstation (xeon mpu) with dual 1 TB HDDs... Win 7 pro is installed on one drive, and the other is blank, newly formated... I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jsj825, Nov 17, 2015.

1. jsj825 Win User

Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

I have a Dell workstation (xeon mpu) with dual 1 TB HDDs... Win 7 pro is installed on one drive, and the other is blank, newly formated...
    I want to be able to boot off either drive... the win 7 HDD, or off the Win 10 HDD. I realize I may have to deal with BIOS boot sequence for now, and later change both drives to Win 10 pro...

When I boot from DVD with Win 10 Pro OEM version, It cannot find either drive... the box is blank... it will see external USB HDDs, but not my SAS drives...

What am I missing?

:)

jsj825, Nov 17, 2015
  2. bbinnard Win User

Will MediaCreationTool allow me to downgrade 10 Pro to 10 Home?

So are you saying that the MediaCrationTool will NOT install Win10 Home on top of Win10 Pro, and in fact will only install Win10 Home on top of pre-Win10 OS such as WIn8 or Win7?

I understand I can do a clean install of Win10 Home and it will activate OK - because I have done a normal Win10 Home upgrade using my Win7 boot disk. Note that this is a separate disk from the one where my Win10 Pro is installed.

But if I did a clean install of WIn10 Home on my current Win10 Pro disk I would have to reinstall all my software and re-customize everything.

IF - and I understand it is a big IF - I can use MediaCreationTool to install WIn10 Home on top of my existing Win10 Pro system and tell it to "Keep all apps and settings" I won't have to do the lengthy and laborious re-install of all my apps etc.

bbinnard, Nov 17, 2015
  3. TuRaSa Win User
    How to use Win8 Pro key for Win10 Pro upgrade?

i have a Win7 Home laptop, which was automatically updated to Win10 Home by Microsoft push. I had purchased a Win8 Pro key earlier but I had not updated my laptop to Win8 Pro before Microsoft's auto update. By default Microsoft installed Win10 Home. Now
    I am not able to upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro as the Activation screen keeps on telling me that the Win8 Pro key is not valid for Win10 Home.

How can I upgrade my laptop to Win10 Pro using my Win8 Pro key and not needing to purchase a separate Win10 Pro key?

TuRaSa, Nov 17, 2015
Thema:

Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

1. Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro - Similar Threads - Install win10 pro

2. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  3. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  4. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Massive update problem Win7 pro to Win10 Pro

Massive update problem Win7 pro to Win10 Pro: Hi all,this is sooo boring ..... i have the same problem as so many windows users in the world - upgrade to Win10 pro from Win7pro is not working at all.I did everything people suggested e.g. clean boot, disable any antivirus, putting the windows source to an USB.Nothing,...
  6. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  7. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  8. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. free upgrade to win10 from oem win7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    free upgrade to win10 from oem win7 pro: i have another laptop with pre-installed of win7 pro. its oem license and activated. i can download win10 media creation tools from microsoft website and installed it into that laptop and that win10 shows it is activated. my question is do i need to purchase license for win10...
  10. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...