Windows 10: Install Windows 10 along side Windows 7, keeping Windows 7 activated

Discus and support Install Windows 10 along side Windows 7, keeping Windows 7 activated in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, I currently have a PC running Windows 7 that I would like to install Windows 10 on in order to try it out and see how it performs. I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BMR777, Oct 27, 2017.

1. BMR777 Win User

Install Windows 10 along side Windows 7, keeping Windows 7 activated

Hello All,

I currently have a PC running Windows 7 that I would like to install Windows 10 on in order to try it out and see how it performs. I want to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, along with Linux Mint, which I plan to install last.

My question is concerning licensing. I would like to try Windows 10, either in a trial state or unlicensed, but my concern is that by doing a clean install alongside Windows 7 that Windows 10 will see the Windows 7 license and de-activate it and activate itself.

Am I correct in assuming that this will not happen and that the only way Windows 10 will get activated is if I do an upgrade installation or later purchase a separate product key / license?

Thanks!

:)

BMR777, Oct 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 refuses to activate

I own a legitimate legal version of Windows 7 and 8.1.... I upgraded to windows 10 and it was ok for a few days. Then the motherboard failed so I had to replace it along with the CPU and memory. Now it is telling me to activate windows again. It refused
    to activate no matter what I did.

I formatted the drive and installed windows 7 and activation was fine. It ask to upgrade to windows 10 where upon activation failed again.

Microsoft is becoming a joke.

Looks like I will have to stick with windows 7.

And why does windows 10 keep downloading each time using my valuable bandwidth.

Yours fed up .

BarryGregorick, Oct 27, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Trying unsuccessfully to do a 2nd Win10 install

You cannot enter the win 7 license when you are installing win 10. Win 7 must be activated
    beforeyou begin the win 10 install. Start all over again and activate win 7 first if windows 7 is not activated on either drive. Windows 10 must be installed over your main activated operating system not on a separate drive
    or partition with the same win 7. After the upgrade you will not be able to use or transfer win 7. You lose all rights to windows 7 after the upgrade. If you want to keep windows 7 in a dual boot you will have to buy a windows 10 license and do a clean install.

edit-- you have a problem installing win 10 because of the the other installation. You cannot install it twice. Use the Recovery options on the win 7 on the main boot drive that was upgraded to select rollback to windows 7. Then you can start the upgrade
    again--or not if you decide to keep win 7 instead of upgrading. Rollback is only available for 30 days after the upgrade, so keep that in mind. The free upgrade will still be available until 7/7/16.

mlg63, Oct 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    As I expect you know, the official period for upgrading for free is long over. It's true that people found Win 10 was activated for a long time after the official date. I'm told people still find it works. There was also a concession for certain groups of people which extended that period.

I looked at the precise license terms, and my strict reading of them is that you can't have two activated installations on the same PC - even if they have different licenses. One activation- one PC. You might get an interpretation of that from MS. That seemed to catch someone out who had a 32 bit and a 64 bit installation of Win 10, for example. Or that might just have been a quirk. Maybe MS has tightened the check.

But then you can ask - well, what about Win 7 vs Win 10? Win 10's basis of activation is different- so in practice, would MS actually cross check between builds of Windows? And anyway, do they actually have a record of Win 7 licenses vs machines at all, in the way they have for Win 10?

For interest, the 'recommended' way:
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If you were to clean install Win 10 on a separate disk with Win 7 on another disk or partition, you can direct Win 10 where it is to be installed.

I'm sure you'll get appropriate comment on establishing the dual boot from someone who's done it that way.

dalchina, Oct 27, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    @BMR777 ,

There is no "trial" of Windows 10 allowed by the End Users License Agreement (EULA). The EULA requires that Windows 10 be activated in order to use it. Also, since you only have 1 license for Windows, dual booting Windows 10 and the Windows 7 the license came from also violates the EULA. This is what I would do, if I were you:

Make a backup image of your current Windows 7. Macrium Reflect Free is the most highly recommended program here to do that with. You will need another physical drive to store the backup image on, though.

Then upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Microsoft is still allowing this for free. This does two things for you. It lets you try Windows 10 without violating the EULA. But, more importantly, it saves a digital license for that version of Windows 10 for that computer on Microsoft Activation Servers that can be used any time later to re-install and activate the same version of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) on that same computer.

Then, if you don't like Windows 10, restore the backup image you made of Windows 7. The license for Windows 7 will not be affected by upgrading to Windows 10 - you just can't have both installed at the same time without violating the EULA.

That is not true at all. I can have as many copies of Windows installed on the same computer as I have licenses for. I can have a Windows 7, Windows 8, 32-bit Windows 10 Home and 64-bit Windows 10 Pro all on the same computer so long as I have 4 licenses for Windows. 1 activation per license - it does not matter if it is on the same computer or different computers.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member

I said my reading of the precise license text was that.

I did not say that it wasn't feasible in practice.

One case recently where one person was trying to do that seemed to suggest the perhaps MS has now become better at detecting such cases. But, before you make the point, that's only 1 recent example from which a pattern cannot be drawn.

dalchina, Oct 27, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Per the Windows 10 EULA:
    2. Installation and Use Rights.
    b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.

Two partitions = two devices. Windows A installed on Partition 1 activated with License A, and Windows B installed on Partition 2 activated with License B = two completely separate and distinct installations of Windows on two completely separate and distinct "devices". If I have two licenses for Windows, I can legally install two copies of Windows on two separate motherboards, one two separate partitions on the same drive, on two separate drives connected to the same motherboard, or one as the host OS and the other as VM running on the host.

This is the restriction in the EULA that prohibits "trial" use of Windows 10:
    5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2017
  8. miata54 Win User

OK, now this question arises.

I just did a WIn7 to Win10 upgrade to which a Digital License was created/activated for my PC. Did MS use the product key for my Win7 OS as the Digital License that was applied to my Win10 upgrade, allowing me to use the upgrade?

miata54, Oct 27, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Microsoft uses the Windows 7 Product Key as the basis for granting a digital license for Windows 10. Nothing happens to the Windows 7 product key during that process, it can continue to be used for Windows 7 under the previous terms. However, you still only have 1 "entitlement" for Windows - it is an either/or situation. You can use the existing product key for Windows 7, OR you can use the digital license for Windows 10 created from it for Windows 10. But not both at the same time.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2017
  10. BMR777 Win User
    So, this doesn't invalidate the windows 7 product key? I have read that by upgrading to windows 10 the windows 7 license becomes invalid. Or is it only invalid if installed at the same time as Windows 10?

BMR777, Oct 28, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    That would make it rather difficult to roll back to your previous Windows if you didn't like Windows 10. *Smile

When I upgraded my machines from 7 to 10, first I made system images, took out the original drives and restored the image to a new drive. It was this drive that I upgraded. So each machine still has a spare drive with Window 7 on it. Periodically I swap them back in to keep their updates current. Their Windows 7 is still activated, despite having earned a digital licence for 10.

That would seem to be NavyLCDR's 'using one licence on two devices' scenario - it's against the EULA.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What Microsoft allows and what actually violates the EULA are two different things. The Windows 7 Product Key does not become physically blocked ("invalid") by Microsoft in any way just due to the upgrade to Windows 10. The Windows 7 Product Key will get blocked, at least from online activation, through repeated uses to install Windows 7, though.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Windows 10 along side Windows 7, keeping Windows 7 activated - Similar Threads - Install along side

2. activate window 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    activate window 7: how to activate my window 7 , i have product key also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-window-7/ca320176-f38f-4ed0-acf3-cd6349b3a38e
  3. activation windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    activation windows 7: can you help me with eror code 0x80072f8f, cant activativation my windows 7 for bussiess. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-windows-7/66335398-e055-4a0d-b862-1f5f00c6e384
  4. activation windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    activation windows 7: can you help me with eror code 0x80072f8f, cant activativation my windows 7 for bussiess. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-windows-7/66335398-e055-4a0d-b862-1f5f00c6e384
  5. activate windows 7

activate windows 7: im trying to activate an old copy of windows 7. i bought a 3 pack way back and only used 2 activations now want to use the 3rd on a new install and will not activate. i still have my product code....
  6. Windows 7 activation

Windows 7 activation: i want to activate my desktop windows 7 professional but the website is giving me an error message failing to connect to online activation. How can i overcome this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-activation/8b1a52bd-f3b9-40ca-8698-131e46d9a8ec
  7. Activate Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 7: Split from this thread.message said windows7 was not leigaland i have had it working until my hard went outthen i had to copy windows 7 again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-windows-7/0d482c80-c8f2-4068-a2f5-10d96a49dead
  8. Activation of windows 10 on windows 7

Activation of windows 10 on windows 7: I have got a laptop with windows 7 with Test Mode Build 7601. Got activation key for window10. Downloaded the media creation tool. When I tried to upgrade from 7 to 10 by media creation tool. While using media creation tool I selected Upgrade this PC At the end it gave error...
  9. WINDOWS 7 KEY TO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 7 KEY TO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 ?: I WAS USING ORIGINAL WINDOWS 7 AROUND 10 YEARS BACK. THEN FOR INTERNAL SERVER PURPOSES, I FLASHED WINDOWS 7 AND INSTALLED LINUX OS. NOW CAN I USE THAT WINDOWS 7 KEY TO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 IN THE SAME SYSTEM ? THANKS AND REGARDS...
  10. window 7 activation

window 7 activation: i recently removed my activation key permanently. i dont know how i did that. there is no option showing for product key in system properties. how do i re get that [img] 5598