Windows 10: Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know how I install, not upgrade, W10 Pro on a laptop that has W10 Home? I bought a W10 Pro licence key off eBay and downloaded the W10 ISO... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by yoyoma, Dec 14, 2015.

1. yoyoma Win User

Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home

Does anyone know how I install, not upgrade, W10 Pro on a laptop that has W10 Home?
    I bought a W10 Pro licence key off eBay and downloaded the W10 ISO file from Microsoft, but when I try to reinstall from the ISO file (on USB) it rejects a clean install.
    I already tried to use the key as an upgrade through Control Panel but it got 'rejected' & on live chat with Microsoft they said it doesn't register.
    The seller is adamant its a legitimate product key (sells plenty of keys). I have PayPal protection.

:)

yoyoma, Dec 14, 2015
  2. CharlieWS Win User

Windows 10 clean install

If you have a Windows 10 Home running on your hard disc, then do a clean install using the Windows 10 ISO install disc, the clean install will be Windows 10 Home.

The same with Windows 10 Pro, the install will be Windows 10 Pro.

But if you start out with a blank hard disc, what version will be installed, Home or Pro?

Charles.

CharlieWS, Dec 14, 2015
  3. LindaBCC Win User
    Is there a way to perform a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on a computer that originally shipped with Windows 10 Home?

I get the same result as No Not - your suggestion results in a clean Windows 10
    Home edition...which requires yet another upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I don't mind performing the clean install, I just want it to be Windows 10 Pro when the clean install completes...WITHOUT having to perform a subsequent upgrade.

To clarify:

Is there some other way to perform a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on this computer that originally shipped with Windows 10 Home
    without having to perform a clean install of Windows 10 Home followed by
    an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

LindaBCC, Dec 14, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

You mean Microsoft said it was an invalid key? If they said it is invalid then it is (as it is their servers that validate it) and you should try to get your money back.

5. yoyoma Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is it possible that a Pro licence key only registers for a full install and not for an upgrade?
    Doesn't make sense to me.

yoyoma, Dec 14, 2015
  6. Porthos Win User
    Probably another counterfeit key. Do not buy keys on eBay. Post the eBay link and let us see if it seems fishy.

Porthos, Dec 14, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    It does sound like a counterfeit key.

However, you have not mentioned this method. Give it a try and see if the key is rejected too......................

Start button> left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key >

enter this generic Win 10 Pro product key.............. VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    That starts changing from Home to Pro version, but NOT activation.
    After that, use your Pro key and try to activate.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Before ending up with a Windows 10 Pro that cannot be activated, I would run showkeyplus from this forum. Use the check product key option, enter the purchased Windows 10 Pro product key and see if it shows as valid.

Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    If you do that you end up with unactivated 10 Pro. If your Pro key is invalid there is no way back to 10 home except to clean install as you can only upgrade not downgrade using generic keys....

10. davidhk Win User
    Yes. So if it does not activate, then do a clean install.
    But what if it does activate ?

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then his Pro key was valid.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2015
  12. davidhk Win User
    So, how does one know if it is actually valid or not if one does not try it ?
    Seems to me, verdict has already been passed without giving it a thorough try.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  13. davidhk Win User

I am not trying to defend eBay.
    But not all sellers are crooked.
    When Win 8 was released, I went to eBay, against others' advice, and bought an upgrade version of Win 8 Pro. Why ? Cheaper.
    I upgraded my old Vista to Win 8 Pro > then Win 8.1.1 Pro > now Win 10 Pro.
    What I bought from eBay was perfectly genuine.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  14. Porthos Win User
    In most cases it depends on HOW MUCH Cheaper. If its too good to be true......

Win 8 was only $39 and 14.99 if you just purchased a qualifying computer.

Porthos, Dec 14, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    True (I sell things on ebay and I'm not a crook) but if MS say the key is not valid then the key is not valid.

Thema:

1. Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Install Pro clean

2. Clean Install Windows 10 Pro on a Laptop with Pre-installed Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install Windows 10 Pro on a Laptop with Pre-installed Windows 10 Home: Would like to confirm if can I do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro OEM on a laptop with pre-installed windows 10 Home? Is there any issue on this ? Laptop has windows 10 home pre-installed I purchased a windows 10 pro OEM license -As per sales I can't upgrade windows 10...
  3. Windows 10 Home Laptop, upgraded to Pro and clean installs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home Laptop, upgraded to Pro and clean installs: Hi, If I get a laptop with Windows 10 Home pre-installed, then upgrade it to Pro, what happens during a clean install? Will it install to Home with me having to upgrade to Pro again, each time I do a clean install? This will be a batch of machines for a business, with a...
  4. WINDOWS 10 PRO CLEAN INSTALL

WINDOWS 10 PRO CLEAN INSTALL: Just a real ODD/FRUSTRATING/BAFFLING Windows 10 Pro installation glitch. Doing clean install, and Windows 10 installation gets to disk partition installation option, and says it cannot install UEFI MODE because the Partition has GPT, and to select a Partition with a MBR....
  5. clean installation Windows 10 pro

clean installation Windows 10 pro: I had made a stick from the MCT but read it was for other pcs -I plan on getting one so it is not a waste. However, in looking for the best way to do a clean install of my pc with Win 10 Pro I got confused. I do not not have the 25 characters. I have an upgrade. Should I do...
  6. windows 10 Home clean install

windows 10 Home clean install: Hi, I want to do clean install windows10. I have upgraded from Windows7 to Windows10.I got windows 7 from LenovoY570. I would like to know if I do clean install,my windows license works or do I need to buy new license. Please let me know the details. Regards Sateesh...
  7. Windows 10 pro. clean install.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 pro. clean install.: Hi, I am running windows 10 pro. 32 bit on a HP laptop. It was a upgrade from assistive technology which I'm using. How do I do a clean install of windows 10 pro. And install a 64 bit this time. And I have a flash drive 16 GB. Will someone walk me through it please. Thanks....
  8. Windows 10 pro. clean install.

Windows 10 pro. clean install.: Hi, I am running windows 10 pro. 32 bit on a HP laptop. It was a upgrade from assistive technology which I'm using. How do I do a clean install of windows 10 pro. And install a 64 bit this time. And I have a flash drive 16 GB. Will someone walk me through it please....
  9. Windows 10 Pro clean installation

Windows 10 Pro clean installation: Hi, I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creations Tool. When choosing 'Create installation media for another PC' it doesn't give me the option to choose the Windows 10 Pro edition. It just says 'Windows 10'. I downloaded...
  10. Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC

Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC: The computer would get a digital license for Pro stored on Microsoft Activation servers and after the first install, subsequent installs of either Home or Pro on that computer would activate without a product key (although the product key for Windows 10 Home is likely...