Windows 10: Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Discus and support Install Windows 7 on a separate partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have an existing Windows 10 PC. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I want to make a partition and install Windows 7 on that partition. Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Clockwork, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Clockwork Win User

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Hello, I have an existing Windows 10 PC. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I want to make a partition and install Windows 7 on that partition. Microsoft says that installing the older operating system last can "render your system inoperable", so I'm not sure. Obviously, Windows 10 is already installed so I can't "install the older OS first." Any help or answers? Can I do it without screwing my system? Thanks!

:)

Clockwork, Mar 15, 2016

2. Install windows 7 on a separate partition while keeping windows 10

Dear All,

I have upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 and I need to install windows 7 too. If I install windows 7 on a separate partition, will windows 10 work?

amara

Damith Amarasena, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Install windows 7 on a separate partition while keeping windows 10

Hi Damith ,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    I know how this concerns you, let me help you to resolve this issue.

Dual boot is a configuration where you can have two or more operating systems installed on your computer. If you would rather not replace your current version of Windows with say Windows 10, you can setup a dual boot configuration. All that is required
    is the creation of a partition or availability of a spare hard disk ready where you can install it.

Let's try to refer to the article, created by Andre Da Costa November 28, 2014, to fix your issue.

How to dual boot Windows 10 and older versions of Windows:
    How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Hello Clockwork Welcome to the Ten Forums!

Yes it will by rewriting the mbr information in favor of the 7 install you are planning. You then would need to repair the boot sector either by the command prompt option if electing not to use the Startup Repair tool also seen in 10 as well as in Vista/7.8.8.1! The rewrite to correct the boot sector would then see 10 back but may not see 7 until added in as a boot option.

Here besides seeing both 10 Pro and Home VMs as well as 7 Pro and Ultimate now on VM I also have two desktops both seeing 10/7 dual boots but on two separate drives. The boot entry for each is simply added into the other version's BCD store using a free app called EasyBCD you may have heard of already! The first version of that one was seen for Vista many years ago and commonly used. First however you will want to review the guide for setting a dual boot of 10 with 7, 8, 81. seen at Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Mar 15, 2016
  5. Clockwork Win User
    Alright, thanks dude! Guess I'll just install Linux on that partition.

Clockwork, Mar 15, 2016
  6. I saw your other two threads about XP and 7 suggesting you were now looking to get 7 going. Here I decided to keep 7 running on both machines since 10 can't connect by WiFi on the portable 7 case while 7 can't connect by ethernet there either! Kind of a mixed up batch of problems! *Eek*Roflmao2

On the main build 10 was initially being looked over and later I simply bought a Black Friday deal on 10 providing a separate license key. The 10 drive is now the host/boot drive and the lastest EasyBCD 2.3 works on 7 as well as 10 to see have boot entries where you can be booted in one and see that set as the default or the other back and forth! Infoworld provides a direct download link where you don't have to enter any email address as you would at the neosmart site. Download EasyBCD 2.3 For Windows 10

Night Hawk, Mar 15, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    I installed my other operating system including a few Linux flavors in virtual partitions that reside on an external SSD attached via USB3. And that works well. The big advantage is that I can carry them to any of my other PCs. Here is how.

http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualiz...p-operate.html

8. heroleo Win User

1. Mount/extract the Windows 7 iso image
    You will need to mount the Windows 7 iso so you can access the install.wim file or You could even use 7zip to simply extract the contents of the iso instead.
    2. Create a partition for Windows 7
    You can use Windows Disk Management or any third-party tools to create a partition for Windows 7.
    3. Download imagex.zip
    Download imagex.zip and extract it to c:\imagex.
    4. Run imagex /apply to extract install.wim
    Open an elevated command prompt, run the following command:
    cd c:\imagex
    imagex /apply e:\sources\install.wim 1 h:\

5. Get Ready to Boot
    Once imagex is done, run the following command:
    bcdboot h:\Windows
    More infomation about bcdboot: BCDboot Command-Line Options

6. Reboot and Enjoy!
    Reboot into bios and disable the uefi secure boot if your computer is a UEFI-based computer (Windows 7 does not support uefi secure boot, so we need to disable it) then save and reboot. Now you get to see the dual boot menu, have fun!!

heroleo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Windows 7 on a separate partition - Similar Threads - Install separate partition

2. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  3. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  4. Can I install Windows 10 to a separate partition from WITHIN Windows 7/8 desktop?

Can I install Windows 10 to a separate partition from WITHIN Windows 7/8 desktop?: As the subject states.. Is it possible to install Windows 10 to a different/separate partition from within Windows 7/8/Vista desktop itself? I am multi-booting and have done it before on a HDD as follows: [ATTACH] 1 Drive 7 Partitions C: Partition 0 = Primary Active &...
  5. Windows 7 User Here: Is it safe for me to install Windows 10 onto a separate partition for...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 User Here: Is it safe for me to install Windows 10 onto a separate partition for...: Sorry if this isn't the best place for me to post this question first of all. If there are better recommended subreddits for these types of questions please let me know and I will post there as well. I have 3 drives: an SSD with Win7 and my most commonly used programs an...
  6. Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of...: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when it was free. Back then I didn't know about partitions of hard disk space etc. So I did the default install options. I now want to migrate the Windows 10 files from my hard drive to an SSD but don't have the partition of windows 10...
  7. Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

Moving Windows installation to a separate partition: How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave it where it is, but move the rest to a separate one? Right now everything is on C:\ and I want the installation part to maybe...
  8. Partition hard drive to install Windows 7

Partition hard drive to install Windows 7: Hello all, I've already upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop PC, and there were no issues with the upgrade. However, I work from home and my work has informed me that they won't accept Windows 10, they will only accept 7 or 8.1 as their operating system (they also only...
  9. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...