Windows 10: Install with UEFI or not?

Discus and support Install with UEFI or not? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I'm building a Win10 system on an Intel NUC6i3syk. I'm planning to follow Brink's tutorial to create a USB stick for installation of Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kieran28, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Kieran28 Win User

Install with UEFI or not?

Hi there, I'm building a Win10 system on an Intel NUC6i3syk. I'm planning to follow Brink's tutorial to create a USB stick for installation of Win10 Home (I purchased an OEM DVD for the license.)

I'm not sure about UEFI, what is it, should I use it, etc.? Is there a page here or elsewhere someone could point me to that would explain a few things about it. Does UEFI just replace the traditional BIOS I'm familiar with from other builds? Or is UEFI an *option* I have with this system - like, I could choose to install via UEFI or via BIOS?

Any specific tips for someone who's built many PC's in the past but never one with UEFI? Or, maybe I have but didn't even realize it! LOL...

Thanks,
    Kieran

:)

Kieran28, Dec 18, 2016
  2. P.V.Cube Win User

Cannot find the option to enable intel vt-x in Windows 10

Based solely on my installation (via upgrade + clean install) of W10 on UEFI and non-UEFI bios pc's: The option to enter UEFI settings via Advanced Startup only appears when W10 has been properly installed as UEFI- more specifically- if you reinstall W10
    via usb meda- the UEFI INSTALLATION option should be selected (vs other compatibility choices) to ensure UEFI is retained.

P.V.Cube, Dec 18, 2016
  3. TornHeckr Win User
    Windows 10 stuck at boot screen.

Sorry, I meant any other UEFI computers, besides this one.

Yes, I deleted everything. The installation was complete and fully working, even after the Linux installation. The media boots, then the screen goes purple, and when you touch the touchpad the mouse appears. I can enter CMD, but it does nothing else.

TornHeckr, Dec 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

UEFI is the replacement for legacy BIOS. The new computer will operate in UEFI mode by default so it's best to just stick with it. The big thing is to look at the SATA options in the UEFI and make sure it is set to AHCI and not IDE if there is a choice in UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Dec 18, 2016
  5. Avocado Win User
    SOURCE NUC6i3SYK error on boot pxe. |Intel Communities

Avocado, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install with UEFI or not? - Similar Threads - Install UEFI

2. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  3. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  4. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...: My goal is to install and run W11 on my new M.2 SSD after making a variety of PC upgrades. Here's the sequence of events including all troubleshooting steps taken so far:- Made sure I was grounded the whole time.- Upgraded motherboard from an old AM3+ to an AM5, MSI pro...
  6. NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...

NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...: My goal is to install and run W11 on my new M.2 SSD after making a variety of PC upgrades. Here's the sequence of events including all troubleshooting steps taken so far:- Made sure I was grounded the whole time.- Upgraded motherboard from an old AM3+ to an AM5, MSI pro...
  7. When trying to install windows 10 with USB on UEFI Mode it gives a blank blue screen

When trying to install windows 10 with USB on UEFI Mode it gives a blank blue screen: when i try to install windows 10 from USB on UEFI mode it shows the windows logo no progress circle and then the whole screen turns light blue CSM support is disabledSecure boot is disabledFast Boot is Disabledthe USB drive is not faulty since i tried it on my a different PC...
  8. When trying to install windows 10 with USB on UEFI Mode it gives a blank blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When trying to install windows 10 with USB on UEFI Mode it gives a blank blue screen: when i try to install windows 10 from USB on UEFI mode it shows the windows logo no progress circle and then the whole screen turns light blue CSM support is disabledSecure boot is disabledFast Boot is Disabledthe USB drive is not faulty since i tried it on my a different PC...
  9. When trying to install windows 10 with USB on UEFI Mode it gives a blank blue screen

10. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware": Hello,I want to upgrade to windows 11 but I am running into a similar problem as in this thread which says:Windows can not be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows installation uefi or not