Windows 10: Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Since I received Win10 as the free upgrade from Win 7 Pro, I qualified for the Pro upgrade as well. Turns out, I can use my old Windows 7 key to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Wynona, Aug 8, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro

Until MS actually stop it doing this.

cereberus, Aug 10, 2016

2. *Ditto I was really hoping the 1607 AU wouldn't use 7 and 8 keys, especially the Windows 8 OEM embedded keys.

alphanumeric, Aug 10, 2016
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    On this website:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-home-to-pro

There used to be a lot more methods for upgrading from Home to Pro listed under Show All. Since the free upgrade "expired", they have removed several of the options. The last option was something like "Using a Windows 7 or 8.1 product key". The instructions right there on the official microsoft.com website said to do exactly what alphanumeric stated. Trigger the upgrade to Pro by entering the generic Windows 10 pro product key - and they even displayed it right there on their own website - then after the upgrade to Pro completed, if it didn't activate then change the product key to a Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro product key.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro

Yeah, I do believe if Home is already installed, change product code will reject Windows 7 and 8 keys. You get an incorrect version (something like that) message. Only Windows 10 Pro keys are accepted at that point.
    On a clean install, if you actually get the prompt to enter a key, they will be accepted. It's a mess, IMHO.

5. Wynona Win User
    Yes, Guy, using the Product Key guarantees you will get the proper build; however, the ISO doesn't ask for a key, so if the computer came with Windows 8.1 Home (embedded in BIOS).

Have you installed the ISO on the former Windows 7 machine? We'd like your experience.

Wynona, Aug 10, 2016
  6. Wynona Win User
    They really shouldn't, because right now, that's the only way to get Windows 10 Pro installed! Unless Installation stops reading my BIOS and starts to read my "digital license"!

Wynona, Aug 10, 2016
  7. If they stop letting you enter those Windows 7 and 8 keys, logic would dictate that the install media would also stop reading Windows 7 and 8 keys from the BIOS. In that situation you would get the enter a key prompt. Then when you click I don't have one, you would get the selection menu with the options to install Home or Pro. That's the way I would like to see it work. Only look for Windows 10 OEM Embedded keys.

8. Wynona Win User

I purposely didn't post my route to Windows 10 Pro, but it may clarify why I posted in the first place. Consider me an "I know enough to be dangerous" user, rather than the kinda sorta knowledgeable person I really am. *Smile Not to say I'm not dangerous too.

1. Bought an HP 500-056 computer with Windows 8.0 Core and upgraded to 8.1 Core
    2. Set up Dual Boot with Windows 8.1 Core and Windows 10 Pro (default Insider Builds)
    3. Upgraded Windows 8.1 Core to Windows 8.1 Pro
    4. Replaced HDD with SSD and reinstalled Insider Build and 8.1 Pro (using key)
    5. Upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro
    6. I don't know which clean install of Windows 10 Pro took me back to Home (Was it 10240, 10586 or Anniversary? I haven't a clue)
    7. Whenever it happened, Installation read the BIOS on my computer and decided I had a license for Home instead of my legally upgraded Pro.
    8. Since there was no notification of any type that told me which version was being installed, I never knew I was back to Home.
    9. Once I discovered I was running Home instead of Pro, I tried everything I could to get Pro on the machine; however, Microsoft's Installation no longer asks for a key (probably if it sees Home in the BIOS), so I couldn't take that route!
    10. It finally dawned on me that I could change the key, which I did, and after an upgrade, I once again had Pro.

The point I'm trying to make is that no ordinary user, who may know "enough to be dangerous" will probably ever succeed in getting back to Pro once Installation looks into the BIOS and decides this is a Home machine, rather than looks at the "digital license", which is what it should do! Microsoft knows what's in our machines, therefore, has the capability to do it right!

Wynona, Aug 10, 2016
  9. Wynona Win User
    And what makes you think Microsoft works with logic!?!? *Banghead

Wynona, Aug 10, 2016
  10. @ Wynona The Consumer release 1511 and Anniversary Update 1607 both look for Windows 8/8.1 OEM embedded keys on a clean install. The change happened when Microsoft decided to let consumers clean install and activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 and 8 keys. No more having to do the free upgrade at least once. Early on you had to actually do an upgrade from the qualifying OS to get a Digital Entitlement. Then subsequently after that you could clean install with a skip key. I don't remember what build number it stared with. If you do an upgrade from an installed OS its the installed OS that determines what version of Windows 10 you get. I think you already know most if not all of what I just mentioned. I say it again anyway for others that might not know the history.

The priority is I believe PID.txt, OEM embedded keys, manual key entry, and pick your OS (if you did a skip key). An ei.cfg file may work in place of the PID.txt too, I haven't tried it. I find the PID.txt file easier to figure out and edit correctly.

11. alphanumeric, Aug 10, 2016
  12. Wynona Win User
    Well, when they say "if you downloaded the Anniversary Update on August 1" (you get the free upgrade) it makes me wonder, because my memory says it wasn't available until August 2!

Wynona, Aug 10, 2016
  13. Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro

If your talking about the link I posted. I can't say I understood all of it. It's not all official info either? Post your question the that thread and you make get more info? It was more like the 3rd for me. Some still haven't gotten it.

EDIT: Just noticed you did post in that thread, just took me a while to get to that notification e-mail.

alphanumeric, Aug 11, 2016
  14. In my experience, I had purchased Windows 7 Ultimate, which according to MS, gets me Win10 Pro when I updated to it. Well, it DID, the first time I updated, from 7 to 10. Now, if I do a clean install, it automatically selects Home, without giving me a choice. So for whatever reason, it's getting the wrong version from my BIOS. I DO, however, have the opportunity to enter my Windows 7 key to upgrade to Win10 Pro. Really confusing.

GuyInDogSuit, Aug 13, 2016
  15. Windows 7 doesn't use embedded keys? On a clean install there won't be any Windows 7 key to auto detect. I'm not sure what's going on there? That PC must have a Windows 8 OEM key or something?
    Showkey will tell if it has an OEM Embedded key. https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

alphanumeric, Aug 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Installation Activation Pro

2. Clean Windows 11 Pro install will not activate. Had Windows 10 Pro installed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Windows 11 Pro install will not activate. Had Windows 10 Pro installed.: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on my computer. upgraded from a physical Windows 8.1 copyI did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro.Now my Windows 11 Pro will not activate despite being logged in with my Microsoft Account.I figured that I had to remove my previous device...
  3. Clean Windows 11 Pro install will not activate. Had Windows 10 Pro installed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Windows 11 Pro install will not activate. Had Windows 10 Pro installed.: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on my computer. upgraded from a physical Windows 8.1 copyI did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro.Now my Windows 11 Pro will not activate despite being logged in with my Microsoft Account.I figured that I had to remove my previous device...
  4. Windows 10 Pro, Activated but not activated..??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro, Activated but not activated..??: OK, here is one that falls in the really ODD world books. As reported by one of our staff. The PC, an HP all in one, Windows 10 Pro. The issue reported was/is. My computer is prompting me to activate Windows 10 Pro. When I try to troubleshoot the activation I get the...
  5. Activate Windows 10 Pro on a Windows 10 Home installation.

Activate Windows 10 Pro on a Windows 10 Home installation.: Just got a new laptop that came with Windows 10 Home edition. I have a Windows 10 Pro license that I bought back in 2017 appears in order history in my MS account but I can't find a product key anywhere. What do I do?...
  6. WINDOWS 10 PRO IS NOT ACTIVATING

WINDOWS 10 PRO IS NOT ACTIVATING: I bought this laptop with Windows 10 pro installed on it and I was under the impression that it was permanent. My Activation status is sitting as "windows is not activated use your organizations activation server" I have no organization and can not access an organization...
  7. Activate Windows 10 Pro

Activate Windows 10 Pro: Helloo There, I cant activate my product Key in the new PC, it's brand new and OEM. I have also all the new package for the new cd and the label for the new fresh product key and I scratched by myself and I'm sure wasn't installed before in any device. Please help and if...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Activation

Windows 10 Pro Activation: Hey all, I just purchased Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store and when I go into Activation under Settings it says it cannot activate. Is there some way for Windows to finally acknowledge my digital license or do I need to purchase that separately? There is no option...
  9. Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing

Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing: I re-installed Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8390 PC and upgraded to Pro, and now cannot activate Windows. The PC was originally shipped with Windows 10, then Ubuntu Server was installed, then was returned to Windows 10. Reinstalling Windows 10 from a bootable usb was...
  10. Windows 10 PRO install and activation

Windows 10 PRO install and activation: I purchased this product in May of 2017. When I log into my Microsoft account, I should have a digital key. My order page just shows the purchase and when I reinstalled Windows 10 PRO it says my copy won't activate. Nothing I do is helping. I went to windows...