Windows 10: Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

Discus and support Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgrading from windows 7 to 10, started install at around 10:30am and left it....around 2:30pm it started the large circle with the % in the centre,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by STEVE91, Sep 11, 2015.

1. STEVE91 Win User

Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

Upgrading from windows 7 to 10, started install at around 10:30am and left it....around 2:30pm it started the large circle with the % in the centre, and again left it for another hour or so and came back to a black screen, no cursor or anything.

I waited until about 7:30 and still nothing and did a reboot by holding the power button down. On restarting, I get the windows 10 logo with the spinning dots, and then it cuts to black with no cursor. The CPU light does what it would usually do on startup, and when it first cuts to black but then the screen seems to change to a different black (if that makes sense?!) and the light only blips extremely quickly with a long period before it blips again

i know this is another update gone wrong post but I can't seem to find any with the same problem, just similar ones. I've read it can take a long time, but it's been nearly 11 hours and is very frustrating!

i'm not mega pc savvy, I get 2 options when I boot, and I've looked and there's no option for me to do a safe boot, or to revert back go windows 7. If I leave it on black screen for too long it automatically goes into sleep mode.

thanks everyone!

:)

STEVE91, Sep 11, 2015

2. Windows 10 Install Fails On Reboot

While I was not looking at my desktop screen the Windows 10 installation rebooted to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I rebooted, watched the Bios text scroll by, and was left at the black screen with a blinking cursor. Need a little help!

JamesMitchellJr, Sep 11, 2015
  3. Black screen on Windows 10 installation no cursor

Alright i will help you to contact them,

First go on the link i gave you: http://bit.ly/1OhFqRq

Once on there scroll down and click the Device, Phone, or xbox link (it should open another window), then in that windows click the 'Windows, desktop laptop or tablet' then click
    'Technical Support' link. Then Click the 'Chat with a Microsoft Answer Tech' link.

You will then be put in a waiting line and once their ready you will be chatting to a Microsoft
    engineer, just tell them what you told me and they will help you resolve your issue!

YOU HAVE TO BE LOGGED IN TO DO THIS SO MAKE SURE YOU ARE!

Still having trouble, just reply to me i will help!

Good Luck Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor :)

ellisn1258, Sep 11, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there's a huge amount of material on this if you search for 'Windows 10 boot to black screen' e.g.
    Problem: After installation Windows 10 boot into black screen with cursor!

Possible causes include:
    - problem with display driver (including needing to use an earlier version e.g. AMD Catalyst)
    - having an installed program (in Win 7) that conflicts with the upgrade
    - the 'two monitor/display' scenario described in the above

I'd suggest doing a bit of research and describing what you've tried of the various solutions and approaches widely documented.

My first attempt to upgrade failed with somewhat similar symptoms- this was because I had a certain program installed.
    Note that some recommend uninstalling your AV before upgrading.

Hopefully you made a disk image of your Win 7 before starting the upgrade. Good luck

dalchina, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Willgf89 Win User
    Hi there I am having this same problem only I was able to boot and run windows fine for a day or 2 but now I cannot u boot .... I know how to reinstall a os however I don't have a disc or usb to boot from. ...

Willgf89, Sep 12, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 12, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Willgf89, could you describe
    a. exactly what happens when you try to boot- what do you see?
    b. what might have led to you not now being able to boot?
    (Power outage, installing a program, knocked laptop off table....*chuckle)

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor - Similar Threads - Installation black screen

2. Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen with cursor: Hello,tonight I install the 22H2 update all fine and turn off the PC, today I turn on and after the boot I get black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner, what's happening?From pc boot menu it's the same, I select the SSD disk and nothing happens... Note: If I...
  3. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor: Hello,I have a problem with my computer. When I turn it on, the screen is black and I can only see the cursor. I've found that this question has been asked before like in here:...
  4. Black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with a cursor: When I turn on my pc Windows 10 all I see is a black screen but I can see the cursor and I cant open task manager and can’t start it using safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-with-a-cursor/31c6ac8e-7e78-4b45-99dc-6f9d4422757d
  5. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor: I have installed windows 10 and after login there's only black screen with a cursor. I haven't installed any apps on it and I have no idea what could've caused it. I have tried various fixes but none work. I can open task manager. When I try to run explorer task it appears...
  6. Black Screen With Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor: Hello, So today I turned on my computer and it was updating and sec later the power went off. When I turned it back again it asked me to select my keyboard language after that it showed me some options like troubleshoot so I clicked at troubleshoot and selected startup...
  7. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black screen with cursor: Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3 shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time...
  8. Black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor.: Hi, I am prajwal , my PC is facing a problem.when I installed drivers in my PC, after that screen had become black with cursor , I could not able to do anything, I can't see task manager too.So I want to format my PC.But I want to back up all my stuffs.What and how I should...
  9. Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot: Black screen with blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot, before windows starts –solved, Ethernet service setting. Totally empirical approach, “by intuition and sense of smell” (one for the Who fans) Googling “Blackscreen blinking cursor 60 seconds on reboot” gave...
  10. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor: My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the troubleshooting, bios, repair,...