Windows 10: Installation does NOT ask for key during install

Discus and support Installation does NOT ask for key during install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop which originally came with Windows 8 Home. However, I wiped the HDD and reinstalled Windows 8 Pro using a valid key I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Zythyr Win User

Installation does NOT ask for key during install

I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop which originally came with Windows 8 Home. However, I wiped the HDD and reinstalled Windows 8 Pro using a valid key I purchase from school. Now I want to upgrade to Windows 10. Because I have a Windows 8 Pro key, I should be able to activate Windows 10 Pro with the same key.

The issue I am having is that during a fresh install of Windows 10, the installation is NOT asking me for a license key. It is automatically assuming I have Windows 8 Home which originally came with my laptop (embedded in BIOS) and thus it is installing Windows 10 Home. I want to install Windows 10 Pro along with my valid Windows 8 Pro license key.

Below are the steps I have taken to troubleshoot:
    - Create a Windows 10 USB installer using Microsoft's media creation tool
    - I ensured BIOS is set to UEFI mode
    - I ensured that BIOS is set to disable "secure boot"

I am not understanding why Windows 10 installation keeps grabbing my OEM key. I have done a Windows 10 install on another laptop which came with Windows 7 Pro, and during installation it asked me for a license key. I selected "i don't have a key", then it asked me if I wanted to install Home or Pro.

:)

Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016
  2. Ltohang Win User

Does a Dell Windows 10 Installation work on a custom PC?

Hello millions of Microsoft users,

I right now have my hands on a Dell Windows 10 Pro Installation CD, in which I previously used(a different one, this one's new) to install windows 10 Pro on a laptop. However, I am currently planning to build a custom PC, and I wish to use Windows 10 as
    the OS. Now here's the question: Will the DELL Windows Installation Media work for win10 installation if my PC isn't Dell? If not, I have a product key on the back that came with the CD. Will there be an option during setup that can install with a product
    key? Can I install that way? Thanks!

Regards,

Benson

Ltohang, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Windows 10 iso/dvd usability for service providers

Good point. I'm just so used to entering it when prompted by the install. Windows 8 does not allow you to bypass this, it won't install without a key.

ChrisMartens, Mar 19, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Assuming you still have Win 10 Home running in your computer.................

Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change Product key >
    now enter this generic Pro product key...............VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, use you Win 8 Pro key to activate.

Does that method work for you ?

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  5. Zythyr Win User
    I was hoping for an more proper approach to bypass or ignore the default OEM key embedded in the BIOS. I want to do a vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10.

I did find a temporary solution, using the ei.cfg method. All I did was enter the following text below. Windows 10 installer asked me if I wanted to install Home or Pro. However, it did NOT ask me for a key. I guess I can just enter the valid key after installation.

Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    When Windows 10 home is clean installed, it basically includes the PRO software as well but you need a pro key to unlikely the extras.

Simply go to the activation menu, there is now a link that says 'go to store'.

Click that link, and then the pro upgrade page comes up.

Under the 'buy pro' button is a link 'I have a 10 pro key'.

Click that link and enter your 8.1 key and you will activate the extra features.

cereberus, Mar 19, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You need to delete the EI.CFG file and use a PID.txt file instead.

[PID]
    value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

That will cause Windows 10 PRO to install without asking you for a product key or which version you want to install. If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro saved on Microsoft activation servers, it will activate automatically. If you don't, then you will have to go to the activation screen, change product key, and enter your Windows 8 Pro product key to activate it.

Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt)
    Skip the ei.cfg portion and do only the PID.txt file.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  8. Installation does NOT ask for key during install

*Ditto That's the way I get around the auto detection of my 8.0 Core OEM key. I don't think you'll find an ei.cfg file in Windows 10 though? Not on the multi edition Home/Pro ISO anyway. Windows 7 has one but I don't think Windows 8 or 10 uses it anymore.

alphanumeric, Mar 19, 2016
  9. Zythyr Win User
    I ended up using the ei.cfg method as I mentioned eariler.

I do NOT want to use the PID.txt approach. The reason for this is because I have other valid keys for Windows 7 and 8 that are either Home or Professional. I want to convert these to Windows 10. Thus, I rather have a standard USB installer, and manually choose Home or Pro during install, and after installation, I can enter my Windows 7 or 8 key to activate.

Zythyr, Mar 20, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Please mark your thread as Solved so others with similar issue will know there is an answer in this thread.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 20, 2016
  11. Zythyr Win User
    Solution

If you want Windows 10 installer to ignore your OEM license key that is embedded in your BIOS, then you need to use the ei.cfg method. One would use this approach if they have a valid license key that is of a different version from that of the one embedded in the BIOS.

0) Use the media creation tool to create a Windows 10 USB installer
    1) In Notepad, copy and paste the below line:
    2) Save the file as ei.cfg
    3) Drag and drop the file into the Sources folder of your USB drive

References:
    Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt)
    [Fix] Cant Select Windows 10 Pro Edition During Clean Installation - AskVG
    iso image - Does the Windows 10 ISO have a EI.CFG file for changing the edition? - Super User

Zythyr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installation does NOT ask for key during install - Similar Threads - Installation does ask

2. Unable to enter Windows 10 Key during installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to enter Windows 10 Key during installation: Hi- I made a bootable USB device using Device A Windows and am trying to install Windows10 on Device B. However, during Windows set up, I am not being presented with an option to enter the Windows10 registration key on DeviceB. I am only presented with the options to Upgrade...
  3. Unable to enter Windows 10 Key during installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to enter Windows 10 Key during installation: Hi- I made a bootable USB device using Device A Windows and am trying to install Windows10 on Device B. However, during Windows set up, I am not being presented with an option to enter the Windows10 registration key on DeviceB. I am only presented with the options to Upgrade...
  4. Why does the driver installation ask for A:\

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does the driver installation ask for A:\: Microsoft Windows has improved very greatly from the times of DOS, WINDOWs 3.1, I am surprised to see why the developers do not notice and remove this a:\ from the driver installation pop-up? Who in this world is using a floppy drive? or MAP a Drive as A:\...
  5. Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation Re: asking for product key during installation: I need to replace my hard disk. during installtion, it keep asking for the product key. I do not have the product key. My previous installation was through the digital key, which was verified during the installation. Kindly help. Paul Cheuk....
  6. During download or install of 1809 it asked for SD space. Now . . . ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    During download or install of 1809 it asked for SD space. Now . . . ?: Windows 10 tablet had 1908. Tablet had just been factory reset. Did a few updates and I noticed it said you can download and install 1909. Either while downloading or installing I gave it permission to use the micro SD because it asked. Now on restart there's a small window...
  7. Outlook 2010 asks for missing file during install - it will still work but it asks for it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook 2010 asks for missing file during install - it will still work but it asks for it...: I previously posted this question; when I open outlook 2010 in windows 10 the install starts (already installed) it asks for a disk with mscomctfix on it, can't find it, so I cancel the process and it closes then open outlook anyway. Usually starts after a windows update....
  8. Windows 10 install - key never asked for.

Windows 10 install - key never asked for.: After waiting months for my PCs to be upgraded (but failing due to drivers), I decided to manually install some. I used the media creation tool to create a windows 10 32&64bit install iso. at Windows 10 I booted each machine from the ISO, and installed windows 10. Never...
  9. Windows 10 never asks for a key during install

Windows 10 never asks for a key during install: Hello, I bought recently a new laptop (Asus UX303UA) which come with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. I actually try to receive a refund for it because I have another valid key for Windows 10 Pro. I wiped the SSD and tried to reinstall Win10 but I was never...
  10. Clean install of win10 but it asks me for act key

Clean install of win10 but it asks me for act key: Hi guys. I have just clean installed windows 10. (also deleted windows.old files, basically I did a full erase). so now after I installed windows 10 pro it asks me for a product key. and now I cant rollback to win 8.1 so I can upgrade 20099