Windows 10: Installation in 7 vs. 8.1

Discus and support Installation in 7 vs. 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on my laptop which had 8.1, 64-bit with absolutely no problems. It only took about an hour. All my programs (including Office... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jshaw42, Aug 28, 2015.

1. jshaw42 Win User

Installation in 7 vs. 8.1

I installed Windows 10 on my laptop which had 8.1, 64-bit with absolutely no problems. It only took about an hour. All my programs (including Office 2003) were maintained and work perfectly.

I now am deciding to upgrade my desktop with 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, that has all the same programs installed. My hesitation is due to the age of the desktop. It was built in 2009.

Does anyone have any experience in this area they could share?

:)

jshaw42, Aug 28, 2015

2. VS for Windows RC 2, WIndows phone 8.1 Emulator hangs, does not start correctly

Hi, ok, here's what's going on.

1. I installed VS for Windows (Presumably VS 2013, but only for W8 & WP8)

2. I installed the RC2 update so I could get WP development and universal apps

3. I opened VS and created a default hub project.

4. I selected the emulator for windows phone option clicked on it.

5. The emulator asks for Hyper-V, so I said ok.

6. The emulator opens and "Windows phone OS is starting"

7. It does not actually start.

Thanks for any help. Would there happen to be an easier way to code for WP 8 apps?

I think this is a WP 8.1 method (I'd prefer WP 8.1 but if it's still buggy I can go with 8).

mrstarware, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Marc S. Win User
    Windows SDK 7 in visual studio 2017

Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 (same link as you mentioned).

I also have SDK 10 but I want to cross-compile a program with SDK 7.

In VS 2017, I only have the choice between 8.1 & 10.

How to enable/register SDK 7?

Thanks

Marc S., Aug 28, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Worked fine on my desktop that I built in 2009 from Windows 7. I would suggest you make an image of your existing operating system with something like Macrium Reflect Free before you upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Aug 28, 2015
  5. jshaw42 Win User
    Thanks for the quick response and the help. I'll give "Macrium Reflect Free" a shot.

jshaw42, Aug 28, 2015
  6. You didn't mention it, but if the Win7 machine came preinstall, that makes it OEM -- and the deluge of postings on OEM forums indicates that OEM machines are having more problems than others. Sony and Toshiba are telling folks to hold off on Upgrading and the HP forums are swamped with upgrade-related problems.

If you can't make an Image backup with Macrium, I'd hold off on the Upgrade -- if it's an OEM machine.

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Antilope Win User
    I bought a Dell Optiplex 790 refurbished desktop (refurbished directly from Dell) a few months ago. It was mfg in 2011 and returned from a business lease and refurbished and re-sold. It came with Windows 7 Pro OEM x64 from Dell. The bios was really old (version A07). I upgraded the bios to the latest (A18) and made sure all of the Windows 7 Pro updates were loaded. I also made sure all of the latest Windows 7 Dell drivers were loaded. The Windows 10 Pro upgrade went smoothly with no problems.

It was a clean install of Windows 7 Pro OEM x64 that I started with. I would recommend a clean install of Windows 7 or 8.1 prior to a Windows 10 upgrade, in order to have the least number of problems.

Antilope, Aug 29, 2015
  8. jshaw42 Win User

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded the desktop. Much smother than I thought, but it took longer and the restarts held a dark screen for a much longer time. So long, that I almost turned off the machine during the process.

My recommendation would be to start the process and walk away for a couple of hours. Come back and check. Then walk away for an hour.

jshaw42, Sep 4, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    Absolutely right. I see it so often that people start doing stupid things because they think...well, I don't know, what they think. The real problem in such cases often simply is that their machine is not as fast as they want it to be. If they had just waited, that would have saved trouble.

Joergi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installation in 7 vs. 8.1 - Similar Threads - Installation

2. How do I install Windows 11 onto a non-supported windows 10 laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I install Windows 11 onto a non-supported windows 10 laptop?: Please tell me how I can download and update to Windows 11 even though my laptop doesn't meet the requirements? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-windows-11-onto-a-non-supported/99916465-52dc-48c6-92bd-096fe3f1b7cc
  3. How do I install Windows 11 onto a non-supported windows 10 laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I install Windows 11 onto a non-supported windows 10 laptop?: Please tell me how I can download and update to Windows 11 even though my laptop doesn't meet the requirements? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-windows-11-onto-a-non-supported/99916465-52dc-48c6-92bd-096fe3f1b7cc
  4. I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...: I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and the package requires a os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-installed-win-subsystem-for-android-but-it-tells/b19485c9-aa1b-4c86-9d05-406750f79ee0
  5. I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...

I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...: I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and the package requires a os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-installed-win-subsystem-for-android-but-it-tells/b19485c9-aa1b-4c86-9d05-406750f79ee0
  6. I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.: One day my system decided to look normal, login screen was great, until it wasn't. It goes black... after I login, I don't know if I'm effecting the eventual operation of it by my LOGO+CTL+SHIFT+B, but it does turn the display on after 30-45 minutes. The other stuff...I don't...
  8. Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.

Why can't I download/install, and my screen turns black after login. ERROR CODE 0x80070005.: One day my system decided to look normal, login screen was great, until it wasn't. It goes black... after I login, I don't know if I'm effecting the eventual operation of it by my LOGO+CTL+SHIFT+B, but it does turn the display on after 30-45 minutes. The other stuff...I don't...
  9. Stop installing software without consent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop installing software without consent: I turned my laptop on this morning to find it chugging and almost falling over. I am in the middle of a large render process and running close to my maximum disk space. After investigating why it was chugging along, I found Windows did an automatically installation of...
  10. Stop installing software without consent

Stop installing software without consent: I turned my laptop on this morning to find it chugging and almost falling over. I am in the middle of a large render process and running close to my maximum disk space. After investigating why it was chugging along, I found Windows did an automatically installation of...