Windows 10: Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic

Discus and support Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and my installation key is the generic Windows 10 key. Windows 10 is now activated and it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic

I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and my installation key is the generic Windows 10 key.
    Windows 10 is now activated and it is not an Insider system.

What the heck is going on here?

Did anyone get a real key or are they not going to be used any more?

:)

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

Computer Won't Boot.... repair loop Win10

As you upgraded to windows 10 via the free upgrade then you'll have what's known as a digital entitlement, the key should be automatically 'found' but I suppose that might not always be the case.

You could try the
    generic keys
    in the hope that it allows you to log in.

Time Lady, Jul 30, 2015
  3. No dual-boot at all?!

I wish you would have asked because it's possible you now have tied up both keys in the one Upgrade.

To help determine this install and run
    ProduKey
    to see what key it reports for Windows 10 activation? Is it either the Windows 7 or 8 key, or is it the

Generic key to install Windows 10 RTM
    ?

Also is there an OEM-BIOS key present? This will appear on a Windows 8 PC and is normally read by the Version 1511 Windows 10 media to activate free Upgrade.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic

Hi Rich,
    No, key's will not be required any longer.
    All your 'puter info. will be stored on the MS server's.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    So everyone who upgrades will get the generic key then, used or not? I find that confusing to say the least since that is the same key I have on my two Insider laptops.

If they are not going to use the key any more they should have deleted it.

This computer never had any of the Insider builds on it, always 8.1 Pro X64.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Since you did the upgrade correctly, the key you had will be stored on the MS server's.

It doesn't matter that you were not an insider. Because you did the upgrade from a valid 8.1 and it is now activated,
    you can do a clean install anytime you want to and it will not ask for a key.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I understand that but it's still going to be very confusing. MS should have picked a better way to differentiate between Insider and non-Insider systems that we as users can query and understand.

Not a big deal but I've already seen several posts about this.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic

1. Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic - Similar Threads - Installation key upgrade

2. windows 10 generic key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 generic key: i bought a computer last month and today i found out that the windows is activated with generic key i had to clean install in order to get rid of that, after the clean install i was surprised that i got digital license how is that? i didn't pay for it and i believe that...
  3. windows 10 generic key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 generic key: i bought a computer last month and today i found out that the windows is activated with generic key i had to clean install in order to get rid of that, after the clean install i was surprised that i got digital license how is that? i didn't pay for it and i believe that...
  4. generic upgrade key not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    generic upgrade key not working: i reinstalled windows 10 on my pc yesterday, and because it wasn't activated during setup, it isn't activated now, so i don't have a license, and i installed windows 10 pro n because that's what i downloaded when flashing my usb with rufus, and i've set it up enough that i...
  5. Stop Windows 10 upgrades from installing generic device drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop Windows 10 upgrades from installing generic device drivers: Hi When Windows 10 upgrades your existing installation, it will (without even asking you!) install generic "Microsoft" drivers which don't work properly. Every time I've upgraded Windows 10 (currently using 1903), I have to re-install the Broadcom Ethernet device driver,...
  6. Windows 10 pro generic key

Windows 10 pro generic key: Hey guys, I am going to be upgrading to windows 10 pro and I am buying the license key in 3 weeks time. My questions is if I use this generic key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T today, would it let me use windows fully until I get my own key in 3 weeks time? I had read that...
  7. Generic Windows 10 Product Keys to install Windows 10 Enterprise & others

in Windows 10 News
    Generic Windows 10 Product Keys to install Windows 10 Enterprise & others: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Generic Windows 10 Product Keys allow you to install a specific Windows 10 edition. They are also called as default keys but do note they do not activate Windows. Windows 10 allows you to use the OS for long without [...] This post Generic Windows 10 Product...
  8. Generic Keys

Generic Keys: Hey guys, When i got this computer I checked the product key using produkey, and I did a search and I found that it is a generic key, now they sent me out a copy of windows 10 home, and I have not used that key yet, so my question is this, if I put my new key in that I...
  9. Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key

Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key: I'm curious, I might have to try this on an extra partition... My computer is fully activated on Pro version. I've also done a clean install after the upgrade and activated immediately just fine. So, let's say I bungled and clean installed Windows 10 Home by mistake. Of...
  10. Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions: How to: Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions List of Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions Generic keys (aka: "default keys") for Windows 10 from Microsoft will allow you to install a specific Windows 10 edition you want, but will not...