Windows 10: Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

Discus and support Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support Right now my HDD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HugoJ, Mar 21, 2016.

1. HugoJ Win User

Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support

Right now my HDD is formatted with MBR, windows 10 is installed in it, and have ~700GB of unallocated space wich i cant use due to partition limitations

Additionally, I have a slower and smaller hdd.

The goal is to install W10 on the larger hdd. It has to be gpt

any advice will be appreciated

*Smile

:)

HugoJ, Mar 21, 2016

2. Second hard drive missing after update from 7 to 10

Just chiming in here - I have a similar issue. Windows 10, just installed. My 3TB drive (which I partitioned as 2TB because I'm on an older BIOS, no UEFI) shows at first... then after 5 or 10 minutes, it just drops off the map. Not in disk management,
    no where. I have to reboot to access it.

Parabola949, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Cannot allocate the unallocated space in a 3Tb and 4Tb hard disk drives in Windows 10

I have a 2011 Acer Predator G3610 with UEFI boot. The original disk (a 1,5Tb Sansung) just failed and I replaced it with a Toshiba OCZ VT180 SSD as boot drive plus a Seagate 4tb and a WD Blue Series 3Tb
    unit for extra storage.

I haven't been able to use the full size of both disks (currently connected to the SATA III connector in the board) and the non allocated space cannot be accesed via disk manager, only letting me to check
    properties/help. Same for the disk, they're listed but cannot re format them as GPT, the only options available being online/offline; check properties and help.

I have gone through the forums without luck. Is there any way I can use all the available storage?

Thanks

Gorka Luis Martinez Mezo, Mar 21, 2016
  4. chemie Win User

If you want to have your boot drive GPT, then it has to be UEFI boot.

For non-EUFI, I believe your only option is to partition the drive into a 2TB and a 1TB partition and install OS on the 2TB partition.

You can do MBR which has 2TB limitation or GPT which requires EUFI for boot drive, but those are your options.

(You can have GPT for non boot drives without EUFI though so you could also use a different drive for boot)

chemie, Mar 21, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can do it the other way around, also, install Windows 10 on the 1 TB partition and use the larger 2 TB partition for data storage. Also, with MBR and legacy bios, you can move the boot files to the Windows OS partition and delete the System reserved boot partition which will free up a space for another data partition if you want. Heck, you can also move the WindowsRE environment off the recovery partition and into the Windows OS partition so you would only need 1 partition for Windows itself and have three empty slots for partitioning however you would want to.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You cannot use more than 2.2TB in TOTAL on an MBR drive (no matter how many partitions) without using special driver software.

Support for Disk Drives Beyond 2.2 TeraBytes (TB) and 4K Advanced Format Sectors

cereberus, Mar 21, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks! So what about this, maybe you know, @cereberus. Format the 3TB drive as GPT and install it as the second drive. On the slower, smaller drive put only a System Reserved partition, put the OS partition on the large GPT drive. Are there drivers in the boot files to then enable Windows to boot from the GPT drive from a legacy bios? Or do the GPT drivers get loaded with Windows? Then the slower hard drive would only be loading the boot files.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Might work theoretically, but not even sure how you would do this, as windows installation would not install to a gpt disk. Might be able to use Macrium to clone C drive only to GPT drive, but getting it to boot?

Frankly, it would just be easier to buy a small (say 256GB) ssd and use that as the OS drive.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2016
  9. HugoJ Win User
  10. cereberus Win User
    The trick here is to convert drive to gpt not losing data. I think minitools partition manager free can do that.

Looks theoretically possible. Upgrades could be a problem though

I would still recommend getting an ssd and avoiding the problem.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    What is that problem. I don't think you need GPT. MBR may suffice. Why don't you post a picture of your disk management.

12. cereberus Win User
    Reason is simple - MBR maximum drive size is 2.2TB - see my link earlier.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

I know that. But I would define a couple of partitions smaller tham 2.2TBs.

14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Only if you want to boot from it that is.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 22, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    The point is the SUM of ALL partitions is 2.2 TB - this is defined by the MBR that can only access up to 2.2TB - there is only one MBR without special software.

cereberus, Mar 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi) - Similar Threads - Installation 3TB disk

2. Transferring 3TB

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring 3TB: Hi, I use windows 10 and I have a folder about 3TB (important data), I need to copy it from my PC to my new Laptop (using LAN). I am wondering , data loss will occur while trying to copy the whole folder at once in one folder (my Laptop)? OR just transferring part after part...
  3. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  4. Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?: I will be installing win 10 home on a new ssd drive on a new system. I've read Brink's how to on downloading and installing from a bootable usb. Should I opt for a UEFI install or non UEFI? What precautions do I take to make sure my components are compatible with UEFI? Do I...
  5. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  6. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible: Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!! Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it...
  7. 3TB disk showing as 1TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3TB disk showing as 1TB: Hi, I've just installed a 3TB Toshiba hdwd130 and it's only showing as 1TB? I've used 2TB disks before, but this is the first 3TB disk I've tried to use. The disk controller on the MB is an RS880P. I've checked and the drivers all appear to be the latest. Any ideas...
  8. Command fails on 3Tb physical disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command fails on 3Tb physical disk: I keep getting this error: Command [0x0000040002003000000000002400026000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000024000260] on physical disk 1 failed. Sense key=0x%4, ASC=0x%5, ASCQ=0x%6 when doing Macrim backups to a 3Tb disk. This is the second 3Tb disk the error...
  9. Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?: I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI (GPT) or do I have to do a "clean" install to get UEFI? I assume the answer is NO, but wanted to check. 69592
  10. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...