Windows 10: Installation options - Update your PC and Apps

Discus and support Installation options - Update your PC and Apps in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There is a Win10 Forum posting called "Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members" (Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pokeefe0001, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Installation options - Update your PC and Apps

There is a Win10 Forum posting called "Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members"
    (Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Windows 10 Forums)

In that posting there is a video called "About Cloud Free Windows 10, Bing & Cortana". The author of the video shows shots of the customization options in setting up Windows 10. About 1 minute 30 seconds into the video there is a shot of a screen with an option "Update your PC and apps". What is that "Update your PC" part. That is obviously not the missing "Automatic Update" option. (Would that it were.) It says "Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices". Is this for something during the installation and and setup process, or some ongoing part of maintenance? What if I want device drivers but don't want any Microsoft apps? Do I have some choice outside of this one options screen?

At some other point he talks about setting up user ids. I assumed that any ids defined in the original Windows 7 (in my case), 8, or 8.1 would be copied over into Windows 10. Is that true? Until watching the video I didn't even know there was a "Local Account" vs "MS Account". If the ids are copied over in the upgrade, are they copied as "Local"? (I hope! I don't think I have an MS account, and I don't want one.)

:)

pokeefe0001, Aug 28, 2015

2. Installing nVidia driver package after Threshold 2 (1511) opencl.dll hash mismatch

Hello Venosaur,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

At this point, I suggest you to perform a Reset of the operating system to reinstall the generic drivers for the devices installed in your computer, and again start with installing the latest updates released for the drivers.

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to
    Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC >Get started and choose an option.

Option

Keep my files

What it does

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Option

Remove everything

What it does

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Option

Restore factory settings

What it does

• Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or
      Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.

• Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.

This option isn't available on all PCs.

Ref: Recovery options in Windows 10

Note All of your personal files will be deleted and your settings will be reset. All apps that you installed will be removed. Only apps that came with your PC will be reinstalled.

Write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Where will I go back to with RESET MY PC

Hi,

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to
    Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Option
    What it does

Keep my files

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

Remove everything

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Restore factory settings

• Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.
    • Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.
    This option isn't available on all PCs.

Note

If you reset your PC within a month of your upgrade to Windows 10, or 10 days after updating to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the option in Settings that lets you go back to your previous version of Windows will no longer be available.

Thank you,

Pavan_N, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Installation options - Update your PC and Apps

I've answered my own question by performing the upgrade. The ids were created as "Local". I gave up trying to figure out Update part. I think I chose "Update your PC and apps" but I will disable all the disablable apps.

pokeefe0001, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

Installation options - Update your PC and Apps

1. Installation options - Update your PC and Apps - Similar Threads - Installation options Update

2. Your PC is not compatible with Windows 11? Here are your options!

in Windows 10 News
    Your PC is not compatible with Windows 11? Here are your options!: Microsoft's new Windows 11 operating system will be released later this year; the system will be a free upgrade for devices running Windows 10, provided that they have a genuine activated license and meet the system requirements. Microsoft revealed earlier that there won't...
  3. Choose an option: Troubleshoot Reset your PC or see advanced options, or Turn off your PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Choose an option: Troubleshoot Reset your PC or see advanced options, or Turn off your PC: I just logged on to my computer A Dell Inspiron ONE 2330 with a core i3. The computer is about 7-8 years old and I use a dual monitor. I use it pretty regularly and I don't have problems. But I was using it today when it just shut off. An electricity mishap in my house I...
  4. Your Phone app shows no Messages option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone app shows no Messages option: Trying to set up Your Phone app to use with my iPhone. Directions say to open the Your Phone app, choose my phone, choose Settings, then choose Messages -- but there is no Messages shown. What am I missing? Please help. TIA...
  5. Your Phone App Phone Screen option not available

Your Phone App Phone Screen option not available: Surface Book2 15 Insider build 19582.1001 Your Phone app 1.20022.81.0 Samsung Galaxy S10+ Android 9 Pie Your Phone app 1.20022.117.0 I am not seeing the "Phone Screen" settings in the Windows Your Phone App settings. I have notifications, messages, photos, and calls...
  6. Your Phone app will not update

Your Phone app will not update: I've recently just took my first Windows 10 product out of the box, an HP i7 touchscreen laptop. I'm already having problems with it. The issue now is getting the Your Phone app to work. I've looked over the web for information and there seems to be a lot of problems with it,...
  7. This App Can't Run on your PC

in Windows 10 Support
    This App Can't Run on your PC: Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? I've disabled Antivirus, SmartScreen, Firewall, etc. . . What is the deal? I've tried everything. 146378
  8. Your Phone App Check your Phone / PC??

Your Phone App Check your Phone / PC??: Ive been trying to get the Your Phone app working since it was released but ive only managed to get it working maybe 3 or 4 times. Most of the time i cant get past the Check your Phone / PC part. What are the Network requirements for this app so i can make sure my Firewall...
  9. This App will not Run on Your PC

in Windows 10 Support
    This App will not Run on Your PC: After trying to install am admittedly sketchy program, all of my applications won't open normally and read "This app can't run on your pc". Only a select number of stock windows apps run normally. I can get most applications to open by selecting "run as administrator", but...
  10. This app can't run on your PC -To find a version for your PC...

This app can't run on your PC -To find a version for your PC...: [img] Get this error on 50% of my applications now as of yesterday. First noticed it when trying to run python in powershell, restarted laptop then more applications received this error including text editor. general apps like, utorrent, slack, telegram, atom etc. I...