Windows 10: installation partition question and wrong time after install

Discus and support installation partition question and wrong time after install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a new pc and I installed windows 10 64 bit, it went well but there were a few thing I wasn't sure about, one being that the time was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fire fly, Dec 15, 2017.

1. fire fly Win User

installation partition question and wrong time after install

Hi,

I have a new pc and I installed windows 10 64 bit, it went well but there were a few thing I wasn't sure about, one being that the time was wrong and would not correct itself

In the end I decided to reinstall windows as it was very quick the first time, when I got to the part about which drive /partition to install to there was drive 0 and drive 1, I have 2 drives: an m.2 ssd and a sata HDD, the m.2 ssd is the system drive. It was cut up into about 4 partitions I think so I just deleted them all and then tried to proceed, windows wouldn't let me install and after searching online for solutions I unplugged the other HDD and windows let me install on to the ssd (I don't understand this because there was no problem having the other drive installed before).

there are 2 things I would appreciate some advice with:

1: The time is still wrong and I don't know why

2: I now have a clean installation of windows 10 64bit again, in disk management it shows 1 partition for my system drive, I expected there to be multiple partitions like before, is this right that there is only one?

Thank you

:)

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
  2. WizardWN Win User

INSTALL / CLEAN WINDOWS 10

Good question about formatting the drive after cleaning. In the good old days it was smart to use fdisk to set up hard drive partition and go into dos and format drive and install operating system.

Now Installing new hard drive forces format before installing OS (quick format)

Using old hard and removing all partition will do a format by default. On the safe side select format and go for it.

If you wanted to keep old partition should do a format first and install OS.

Maybe I'm wrong.

WizardWN, Dec 15, 2017
  3. perdrix52 Win User
    How to recreate that 450MB recovery partition

In a fit of slight over-zealous tidying after installing Windows 10 on this machine, I deleted that 450MB "Recovery Partition" that had been placed just at the end of the Windows installation partition.

I now realise that it contains WinRE and should be present, so the question is how to re-create it, ideally at the END of the drive rather than just after my Windows install partition.

Thanks

Dave

perdrix52, Dec 15, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2017
  5. fire fly Win User
    installation partition question and wrong time after install [​IMG]

Thanks

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Previously you installed Windows 10 using GPT partition scheme. Now you are installing Windows using the Legacy MBR partition scheme. Even though Windows is running fine as is, however, it should have a 550MB System Reserved partition and C drive. Your current Windows is combined the System Reserved partition and C drive.

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2017
  7. fire fly Win User
    what would be best to do now, how should it be ideally?

Why did windows do it 2 different ways?

Thanks

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
  8. topgundcp Win User

Since your MB support UEFI. Would be better to install using GPT partition scheme. There are 2 modes to boot the Windows installation from: Legacy MBR and GPT.
    With GPT, you's select the option with UEFI prefix.
    Boot up with option with UEFI prefix. On first screen, press SHIFT+F10. You'll get the command prompt. Type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

NOTE: I am assuming you only have one disk connected. If not, disconnect other disk(s)

Continue the installation, select Custom, select the unallocated partition (do not format) then click Next, let Windows creates all needed partitions.
    Once done, you'd have: 500MB Recovery partition, 100 EFI system, 16MB MSR and C drive.

EDIT: about wrong time showing. Did you set the time in the BIOS, if you did then it might be something wrong with the battery.

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2017
  9. fire fly Win User
    Thank you very much, I will do that

Please could you explain how to boot up with option with UEFI prefix?

Do you know why windows installed GPT yesterday and legacy MBR today?

No I didn't set the time in the bios, I just installed windows twice and it's been wrong both times

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Some MB support both MBR and GPT without having to alter anything in the BIOS so it depends on how you booted from (MBR or GPT) then windows will set it up accordingly.

Look in the BIOS and set it to correct time.

Here's an example. Boot up Windows using the Boot Menu (find out what key to boot to Boot Menu from your MB manual)
    you'll see a screen similar to this:

installation partition question and wrong time after install [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2017
  11. fire fly Win User
    OK thank you very much, I will try that

so I just set the time in the bios? is that normal, do you think I have a bad battery? it's a brand new motherboard

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Most brand new MB need to set to correct time in the BIOS so it is normal.

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2017
  13. fire fly Win User

Thanks, I'll change the time in the bios

I'm in the command prompt now, could you tell me where to type diskpart please, I typed it where the cursor is and it didn't work, just took me to the normal setup

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
  14. topgundcp Win User
    diskpart then hit <ENTER>. Try again, actually you can use SHIFT+F10 on any subsequent screen before selecting the unallocated partition, does not have to be the first screen.

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2017
  15. fire fly Win User
    Thanks it's better from the next screen, i typed in diskpart and hit enter, do i just type each thing (select disk 0, clean, exit, exit and press enter after each one?

fire fly, Dec 15, 2017
Thema:

1. installation partition question and wrong time after install - Similar Threads - installation partition question

2. Chose wrong partition while installing windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chose wrong partition while installing windows: So when i was installing windows i accidentally chose the wrong partition of 1.5 terabytes. is there a way to change them so i can have my storage back?...
  3. Chose wrong partition while installing windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chose wrong partition while installing windows: So when i was installing windows i accidentally chose the wrong partition of 1.5 terabytes. is there a way to change them so i can have my storage back?...
  4. Chose wrong partition while installing windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  6. Partition question when re-installing windows

Partition question when re-installing windows: Windows 10 version 10.1.18363 build 18363 Hi all ! I want to re-install windows over an old setup which has started crashing. I have not done this for several years and I think the setup procedure has changed a bit. At the point of the setup where I have to pick the...
  7. [Question] How to deal with partitions when installing windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Question] How to deal with partitions when installing windows?: I am planning to do clean install of win10 on my parents PC( has win7 now ). It has 2TB HDD split into 3 partitions. 2 are for data and first one for system. What should i do when installing because most of the time setup shows more partitions than file explorer shows. Most...
  8. Novice question on MBR/Legacy installation System Partition

Novice question on MBR/Legacy installation System Partition: Novice question on MBR/Legacy installation System Partition Greetings. Recently did a fresh installation on an ancient MBR/Legacy machine using the latest 1909 ISO. The process created a 579 MB System Partition consisting of two folders, Boot and Recovery, among other...
  9. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  10. Partitions after installation

Partitions after installation: Windows 10 Pro My progressively failing defective motherboard caused a lot of problems, as can be imagined, including failed attempts at system re-installation, restoration of backup images, and boot corruption/failure. After motherboard replacement, I decided to start...