Windows 10: Installation problem, 4TB HDD in W10 Home

Discus and support Installation problem, 4TB HDD in W10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've just tried to install a brand new 4TB Seagate HDD in an external caddy connected via a USB3 cable to my W10 Home PC. Nothing occurred when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cplloyd42, Feb 2, 2017.

1. cplloyd42 Win User

Installation problem, 4TB HDD in W10 Home

Hi,

I've just tried to install a brand new 4TB Seagate HDD in an external caddy connected via a USB3 cable to my W10 Home PC. Nothing occurred when I connected it, but I found it in Disk Management. Accessing it in DM required me to initiate the disk and it offered me two choices: one commencing with G (the default), the other commencing with M (I'm sorry, but I don't remember them exactly enough).

I chose the M option, thinking that I might want to connect to an older version of Windows sometime, but in hindsight I think this is rather unlikely and would like to reverse this - I suppose it's too late now (some low-level format, perhaps?) to change it to the G option.

What I'm left with is 2 partitions, one of which I can set up as a simple volume and format it. The other partition (~1.6TB) is inaccessible. Right-clicking this partition gives me only Help and Properties. I'd prefer to merge both partitions, but if I've got to live with both, then I'd like also to be able to make it a simple volume too.

Is this do-able?

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

:)

cplloyd42, Feb 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Installing W10 on a new SSD

Probably been asked a trillion times but I cannot find a straight forward answer.

I am soon to be changing my HDD for an SSD in my 6 month old Lenovo laptop, it came with W10 HOME pre installed with a partition for the drivers on the HDD.

If I put a new SSD in the laptop and then install W10 HOME will it automatically activate or will I have to buy a new licence as there is no key to activate on the underside of the laptop.

PeterWilkinson1964, Feb 2, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

You have to be using uefi mode and partition drive as GPT (G) to use all 4TB if you want to install windows on that drive.

You can convert drive to GPT but would have to reinstall windows

Is pc uefi capable?

If drive is just for data, simply convert to gpt using diskpart command.

cereberus, Feb 2, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It seems like the HDD is just a second HDD for data storage? You will have to wipe the disk to convert it to GPT easily, here's how:

Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk

As long as you are only using the 4 TB drive as a second drive for data storage, you want it to be GPT. It does not matter if the computer is Legacy BIOS or UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2017
  6. cplloyd42 Win User
    Thank you both for your very valuable advice. I've successfully reinstated the ~4TB partition and formatted it. I'm in the process of moving a good number of files to it as I type.

Yes, the disk is intended as a data storage unit, only.

Many thanks. I'm marking this thread as solved because of your input.

Paul.

cplloyd42, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installation problem, 4TB HDD in W10 Home - Similar Threads - Installation problem 4TB

2. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  3. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  4. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  6. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  7. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. install w10 in a hdd partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  9. Help with formatting 4tb hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with formatting 4tb hdd?: I recently built my first PC, and have been having some issues formatting the hard drive properly. Windows 10 is installed on a separate 500gb ssd, so it is empty, except for a partition called "System Reserved" which takes up ~600mb and is preventing me from converting from...
  10. Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB: Hello fellow tenforums users, I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a 4TB HDD that I want to install in place of my current disk and I am not sure how to make an exact clone of my C drive. I have an external usb 3.0 docking station for sata drives and was going to just use...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 home 4tb gpt