Windows 10: Installation Problems - General Questions

Discus and support Installation Problems - General Questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As the procedures are similar for 7, 8, and 10 can anyone advise me: I used MKLINK /J c:\users ACCOUNT name d:\users\account name and things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andrew124C41, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Installation Problems - General Questions

As the procedures are similar for 7, 8, and 10 can anyone advise me:

I used MKLINK /J c:\users ACCOUNT name d:\users\account name and things appeared to be alright until I re-booted the computer and found that I was put into a "temporary account." I can't get out. Any ideas or should I start from scratch and use audit mode. One of my concerns in doing this is that I will not be able to upgrade to 10.

:)

andrew124C41, Jun 18, 2015

2. General question

Thank you. I do agree with your view that there are many here who should not attempt complicated operations. I'm hoping that by stressing excellence it will attract more enthusiasts who no longer have their own stellar forums as in Windows 7. Clearing
    the complainer rabble after Upgrades should help settle things down to a better learning experience for all levels.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 18, 2015
  3. General question

I've helped about a hundred thousand consumers in Forums for 7+ years and every one who cooperated got their fix. Thousands (for example) had complicated partitioning problems which a shop wouldn't begin to figure out and would just recommend reinstalling,
    but by reading a screenshot of Disk Management I have walked them through complicated partitioning changes like conversion to Basic without file loss, jumping partitions over each other while resizing them all, etc. also without a single failure using the
    flawless tool
    Partition Wizard
    . During the long conversion to UEFI BIOS' I personally helped about 10,000 consumers struggling with buggy early firmware to get Windows 7 installed, until gradually newer firmware sifted out UEFI install problems to near-zero.

As to MVP's hewing the MS line, I spoke out passionately against what I considered the push to smother Windows 7 in its crib in favor of the new Store-based business plan starting with Windows 8. We were able to get the Windows 7 reinstall ISO's put back
    up for another five years so that millions could get the best install possible following

Clean Reinstall Windows 7
    which popularized Clean Installs for the masses, backed down OEM's from refusing to Support them, and caused MS to drop a built-in antipathy to them and ultimately automate in Windows 10 as a Reset saving nothing.
    At no time did I feel I could not speak out even when it was critical of MS. In fact my MVP lead during this time JP Clementi encouraged me to speak passionately and brought me and other MVP's in front of a focus
    group of top MS execs to explain where we felt Windows 8 had gone wrong with consumers, which directly led to the consumer-based Insider program helping develop Windows 10.

I can count on one hand the times I've painfully read MVP advice being wrong, usually when one of us tries to veer out of our specialty. Now as the Consumer MVP program is being reformed with our input, I'm advocating strongly that the standard be that
    MVP's are absolutely top experts in their field.

To my knowledge and that of several dozen I've asked, there is no higher award in the tech field. It is an honor that has propelled me from an enthusiast to a constant pursuit of excellence during an average 5-8 volunteer hours spent in forums daily.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 18, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Installation Problems - General Questions

Even when you get it to work, you will have to undo it to upgrade to 10.

Ztruker, Jun 19, 2015
Thema:

Installation Problems - General Questions

1. Installation Problems - General Questions - Similar Threads - Installation Problems General

2. general question

in Windows 10 Support
    general question: ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz Installed RAM8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable) Device ID2A19870F-A938-4F6A-A546-98CBA23F63BA Product ID00330-80000-00000-AA420 System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touchNo pen or touch input is...
  3. General Questions (on-going)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    General Questions (on-going): **If this is not the right forum section, please move this topic to the appropriate section**. i recently learned about the difference of GPT (GUID Partition Table) vs MBR (Master Boot Record). Through EaseUS, I saw that my D: drive was actually MBR. My brother had helped...
  4. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: I just had a general question about a setup that I have done. I built my PC and I have an M.2SSD which the os and programs are installed on. From there, I have two SSD drives which I put all the recent jobs that Im working on. From there, I have a dedicated scratch SSD that...
  5. General question

in Windows 10 Support
    General question: I'm trying to help a friend. Ever since he installed the newest Windows 10 updates all of his non-window icons have disappeared. The exe file for his antivirus is not visible (although it says it's properly installed). Something as simply as a yahoo mail app can't be found....
  6. General question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    General question: I realize this doesn't pertain directly to Microsoft. I just trying to seek an answer. This morning I opened my computer and I haven't opened a browser. This popup was on my screen. It reads: Security Alert. Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is...
  7. Macrium general questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium general questions: I've been using Macrium free for quite some time and in general it has worked well for me. However, I have been unable to intsall the 1803 update so I decided to make an image of my production system and restore that image to a spare SSD. The image creation was successful...
  8. General Cortana questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    General Cortana questions: I didn't want to muddy the Software subforum with this as it's not a problem, just a few inquires. I want to be able to tell Cortana to just chat for a while and not to search everything by opening a browser window. Is this possible? When Cortana does search, can I tell...
  9. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: Guys, I know this is not really about Windows10. However I trust your opinion in matters of tech! So, what I want to know is about my Phone. It has an internal only battery, so I can't remove it. Does this mean that it can always be Tracked?? (Like in he movies).*Sad 82232
  10. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...