Windows 10: Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Discus and support Installation setup Home instead of Pro. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today I had to do a clean install of Win10 which I did from a USB with the Win 10 install software on it. When completed the installation I notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pewe, Apr 3, 2016.

1. pewe Win User

Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Today I had to do a clean install of Win10 which I did from a USB with the Win 10 install software on it.

When completed the installation I notice it is now running 10 Home.

When I run ShowKey it seems that the installation has picked up the original 8.1 OEM key from the bios and installed 10 Home.
    When I try to change the product key and enter the 8.1 Pro key in Settings/Activation the response is 'You are running Windows 10 Home. The Key you entered cannot be used to activate this edition'

Anyone any suggestions how to get around this problem.

TIA

:)

pewe, Apr 3, 2016
  2. ES11111 Win User

Windows 10 licence expiration

I decided to run the ISO setup

Disaster it is installing Windows Pro agan instead of Home. Yet when I downloaded the ISO (whatever that means) it It said it had both Pro and home

How do I find the Home?

Please help

ES11111, Apr 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro instead of Home after Home to Pro upgrade

I have a laptop that had Windows 10 Home.

I bought a license key for Windows 10 Pro and upgraded the laptop.

Once everything was done I created media for re-installation because I wanted to do a clean install, because in the past if I left it alone from an upgrade things just wouldn't work well.

So I installed Windows 10 fresh after cleaning the drive and it installed Windows 10 home. I don't want to put in the license key and have it upgrade to pro again, because as mentioned I want it to be a straightforward clean install.

How do I get it to install pro only and ask me for the key?

RockstarAgent, Apr 3, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Change the product key to the Windows 10 Pro generic product key. It ends in -3V66T

How to get Windows 10 product key and start activation

If you insert a PID.txt file containing the Windows 10 Pro generic product key into your installation USB, it will install Pro automatically and skip checking the BIOS for which version to install. Google PID.txt.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  5. pewe Win User
    Thanks Navy.

Just after posting I came across this page and followed the instructions - which also mentioned the generic key, and this worked.

I also added the 8.1 pro key to the /sources directory in the root of the Win 10 USB stick for future reference.

Thanks for your input.

pewe, Apr 3, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's the Windows 10 Pro generic key you will want in the PID.txt file in the /sources directory - not the Windows 8.1 Pro key.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  7. pewe Win User
    Thanks for the heads-up.

My search came up with lots about using PID for Win 8 and they all seemed to suggest using the purchased product key.

If the Generic key works, doesn't that make it possible for anyone to install Win 10 pro without buying a license?

pewe, Apr 3, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yep. But there is a big difference between installing Windows 10 Pro and activating Windows 10 Pro. You can install Windows 10 Pro with the generic product key (and even with no product key at all) - but it won't activate unless there is a matching digital entitlement for it installed on that computer on Microsoft activation servers - or a unique product key for Windows 10 Pro is entered.

Your computer has a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro stored on Microsoft activation servers and that is how it activates from the generic product key.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installation setup Home instead of Pro. - Similar Threads - Installation setup Home

2. Windows Home instead of Pro after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Home instead of Pro after clean install: Hi,I had a couple of issues with my Windows installation and repair didn't work, so I decided to do a clean installation of my Windows Pro, which had a digital license showing in my MS account. I reinstalled from an USB media and I was quite baffled when I figured out it had...
  3. Windows home instead of pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows home instead of pro: i used a bootable media to reboot my pc but the time i put my product key back in my pc it showed windows 10 home instead of windows 10 pro. what i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-home-instead-of-pro/d2e64bdf-2e99-493c-8d6c-4531079f85ac
  4. i seem to have installed home instead of pro

i seem to have installed home instead of pro: i was unable to install an update so a kind guy from microsoft helped me out. after he told me to go to below which i did.but the link you gave me installed home edition.works fine but.... i purchased pro way back in 2016. still have receipt but no activation code given ???...
  5. Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro

Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro: My friend did a clean install of windows. He had windows 10 pro which was activated with his account linked to the key. He forgot that the media he used was fir windows 10 home. When he finished everything it said that windows was activated with a digital key linked to your...
  6. Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home

Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home: I purchased Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. I downloaded and ran the Media Installation Tool. It did not give me an option to select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, it just had the option "Windows 10". I ran it from a computer that was already running Pro, and...
  7. Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.

Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.: I mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro and now my windows won't activate. The activation troubleshoot directs me to the MS Store but there I don't have the option to install Pro and I don't have a key since it's a digital license attached to my account....
  8. inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home

inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home: While trying to reinstall Win 10 Home on this computer, I mistakenly chose Win 10 Pro. Now I am unable to go back and reinstall Home. Pro seems to be locked in and since this computer wasn't set up as a Pro box, I am not able to activate. I've changed the registry values...
  9. Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...

Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...: My Dell XPS 8920 came with Windows 10 Home installed. After a few months, I purchased a W10 Pro license for the machine, and have clean installed Windows several times in the year since. Today, after installing two additional memory modules, and re-flashing the bios to the...
  10. Accidently installed pro instead of home

Accidently installed pro instead of home: HI all a complete newbie here, My problem is that I have installed Windows 10 pro instead of the Home edition, my laptop says I have the digital licence for the Home edition and I need to install Windows 10 Home but I cannot find anywhere for a free download etc, I haven't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. y installed home instead of pro

2. windows 10 home install instead of pro