Windows 10: Installation upgrade problem

Discus and support Installation upgrade problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have been running the W10 preview since its release without problems. Today tried upgrading to the new version without success. In desperation I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dencal, Oct 21, 2014.

1. dencal Win User

Installation upgrade problem

Have been running the W10 preview since its release without problems.
    Today tried upgrading to the new version without success.
    In desperation I deleted the early version installed on a separate SSD thinking I could get a reinstallation using my earlier W10 ISO. Without success.
    Can anyone suggest how to reinstall this new version as it appears their is no new ISO available.
    Although on start up I still get the choice between W8.1 Or W10 I can only open W8.1

:)

dencal, Oct 21, 2014

2. Windows 10 Installation / Upgrade problem

It would be great if we can know the most common error code's meaning.

After all I did successfully upgrade my Intel Compute Stick yesterday. Before that I had many unsuccessful upgrade from win 8.1 to win10. Two things helped me in:

1., Upgraded my computer BIOS to the latest one.

2., Since I do not have any free space on my computer needs to use USB stick additionally during upgrading. This USB stick should be freshly formatted.

I hope it helps you.

ImreMolnar, Oct 21, 2014
  3. Windows 10 Installation / Upgrade problem

Dan are you using only the
    Media Creation Tool,
    choosing the second option to Create Media for another PC?

If so it explains in
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    how to use the alternative download site
    Tech Bench
    to write the ISO it provides using
    Rufus
    to stick. But you must choose if you have UEFI (GPT formatting) or Legacy (MBR disk) BIOS. You can tell which by typing MSINFO in Start Search to look at the BIOS Mode.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 21, 2014
  4. Installation upgrade problem

gregrocker, Oct 21, 2014
  5. dencal Win User
    Thank you for your reply, unfortunately because I could not open the o/s after updating, it stating there were faults it could not rectify, I decided to format the drive in the belief that my original ISO would load.Unfortunately not possible.
    I have finally solved the problem by reinstalling the original ISO using the US version instead of the UK one from the Neowin website. At 85% it stopped loading but was able to restart the download by "pause and restart" and have since successfully upgraded to build 9860.

dencal, Oct 22, 2014
  6. There is no new ISO. Microsoft is requiring everybody to do the upgrade so they can test how it works.

alphanumeric, Oct 22, 2014
  7. Charlie Win User
    So if I just got a new ssd in the mail and wanted to put the 10 on it I would use build 9841 to install then let windows update put 9860 onboard. Yes?

Charlie, Oct 22, 2014
  8. Installation upgrade problem

Yes.

alphanumeric, Oct 22, 2014
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installation upgrade problem

1. Installation upgrade problem - Similar Threads - Installation upgrade problem

2. Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems: So bear with me, this may be a little long and potentially confusing... At a client, using local AD, ~80 PCs about 60 are Win11 Pro, remaining are Win10 Pro, their policy is when they get a new system, say a Dell OptiPlex, that the system be formatted with an ISO downloaded...
  3. Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems: So bear with me, this may be a little long and potentially confusing... At a client, using local AD, ~80 PCs about 60 are Win11 Pro, remaining are Win10 Pro, their policy is when they get a new system, say a Dell OptiPlex, that the system be formatted with an ISO downloaded...
  4. Windows 10 installation upgrade problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 installation upgrade problem: I updated my old windows 7 PC to Windows 10, I have installed all the updates but have had trouble accessing web sites, the latest I have tried is Team Viewer so I could get some online help but just wont work. Am I missing something that I haven't done right ? I am finding...
  5. Problems with Installing the latest Windows upgrade 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with Installing the latest Windows upgrade 1903: I've tried multiple times to update to the new version but to no success. I can't use the Media Creation Tool because my system does not have enough disk space and this tool does not enable me to use removeable storage. When I run the Update it completes the download and...
  6. Upgrade Problems

Upgrade Problems: When I try to run the upgrade, I get the following message: This helps protect your PC and keep it running smoothly. C:\Users\Geojet\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\TempState\Downloads\Windows10Upgrade28088 (5).exe Still want to run this...
  7. Problems re-installing windows as a live upgrade

Problems re-installing windows as a live upgrade: Hi – I have been trying to re-install W10 v1809 on a Kodlix mini-computer. Link here: http://www.kodlix.com/index.php/gn41-mini-pc/ The system came (Feb. 2019) with 1803 Pro installed on a built-in eMMC 5.1 storage device. Within a week, windows update upgraded to 1809. Due...
  8. Problem with downloading/installing MCT upgrade (and others)

Problem with downloading/installing MCT upgrade (and others): The other day I had notification of a new upgrade which had a very large file size (4gb). Very often in the past large upgrades seemed to fail on installation quite frequently - so I started to download them from the catalog and install them offline. I do this because I...
  9. upgrade problem

upgrade problem: I reserved windows 10 just now and I was shocked to see that my PC won't be able to run windows 10. I have windows 8.1, So will really won't be able to run 10? Attachment 21044 6843
  10. Potential installation or upgrade problem

Potential installation or upgrade problem: Currently running Windows 8.1 on a 20gb partition. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released. Question is how? I suspect 20gb isn't enough as 16gb is already taken up by win 8.1. I installed win 8.1 as a clean install then activated with a win 8 key....