Windows 10: Installed 10 onto an SSD and want to format my HDD but nothing works

Discus and support Installed 10 onto an SSD and want to format my HDD but nothing works in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, again with another computer problem! So yesterday I installed a SSD from Samsung and put windows 10 onto it via a boot disc I created I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DragonMutt, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Installed 10 onto an SSD and want to format my HDD but nothing works

Hi all, again with another computer problem!

So yesterday I installed a SSD from Samsung and put windows 10 onto it via a boot disc I created
    I've gone ahead and copied across all of the files that I wanted ready to reformat the HDD that I was using for the last year
    I've tried hovering over it in my computer and clicking format although nothing comes of that, I'm an administrator on the computer so I don't understand why.

I have tried disk part and selecting the drive and using clean but it says I have system files on there that are in use but how could that be possible if I load the windows 10 from my SSD? I've also tried deleting the partition and shrinking it to removes files in disk management but even that yields nothing to me.\

I've now come to think that I should have disconnected the HHD while installing on the SSD but i'm not 100% sure.

I can post any screen shots when I get home from work, just wondering if people could start pooling ideas with me? Thanks you in advance!

:)

DragonMutt, Jul 26, 2016
  2. hsd91 Win User

Problem using both SSD and HDD on Windows 10

I wanted to upgrade to an SSD for Windows and programs, and use my old HDD for file storage.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD. The HDD was removed from the computer while I installed Windows. I booted up, installed a bunch of programs on the SSD, then turned the PC off. Then I reinstalled the old HDD. Windows did not recognize it
    at first, so I ran the troubleshooting tool, installed updates, and then Windows recognized it. Then I did a full non-quick format of the HDD followed by another quick format.

Now the HDD is showing 208 MB of used space after formatting. When I go to Disk Management, it shows System Reserved (D: ) is in the HDD.

Everything else is on the SSD (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

hsd91, Jul 26, 2016
  3. SSD not working when plugged in via SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter

Unallocated Disk Space but never mind i installed Windows 10 on it since i had the Boot USB lying around then swapped out back to HDD as boot and plugged it in SSD using the Adapter it works fine. I formatted it and now I am at the stage of cloning my
    HDD onto that SSD thanks for help anyway.

Wiktor Kalinowski, Jul 26, 2016
  4. bfunke Win User

Installed 10 onto an SSD and want to format my HDD but nothing works

Yes. You need to disconnect the HDD when doing a clean install to ssd

bfunke, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Alright! I'll give that a shot! Thank you!

DragonMutt, Jul 26, 2016
  6. U actually dont need to reinstall .. Just boot from Widnows 10 Media USB or DVD..
    When u reach the screen of disk selection (where to install windows) Format your HDD there.

manish9009, Jul 27, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    I think Manish's idea should work, but a MiniTool Partition Wizard 9 Boot CD/USB disk should as well and is a great Tool to have around .

The system won't let you format it as the partition likely is still marked active and boot and possibly system ( Minitool 9 will show you) so it is trying to protect itself ....

Kbird, Jul 27, 2016
  8. Samuria Win User

Its put some system files on the hd thats why you can format it if you did with external software it wont boot. Try with the second drive disconnected see if it will boot if it wont then Remove the hd then do a repair of windows from the usb/dvd

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installed 10 onto an SSD and want to format my HDD but nothing works - Similar Threads - Installed onto SSD

2. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  3. unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...: submitted by /u/aaronjusmith [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmrku0/unplugged_my_ssd_and_hdd_installed_windows_onto_a/
  4. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  5. Cloning my HDD Windows 10 onto a SSD (which currently has Linux installed)

Cloning my HDD Windows 10 onto a SSD (which currently has Linux installed): I am looking for free software that will enable me to be able to clone my Windows 10 operating system and install it onto my SSD drive, which happens to have Linux (Ubuntu 19) installed on it. How would I go about doing this? I have *never* done something like this before so...
  6. Fresh Windows Install on SSD, while formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Windows Install on SSD, while formatting HDD: I am going to upgrade my laptop with an SSD, and I would like to make a new-fresh install of Windows in there, while deleting everything from my HDD, which I am going to use to store data. So, I've been reading on the internet, and what I want to do seems pretty dificult, as...
  7. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  8. I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.: So I have a samsung 250gb ssd (C:) and a hdd (E:). My ssd contains windows on it along with some programs and my hdd has mostly games and programs. I want to format both of them, but I am unable to do it in Disk Managment. For both of them the format button is greyed out. How...
  9. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208
  10. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ive put windows onto my ssd but nothing is here