Windows 10: Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing

Discus and support Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all, I installed the Anniversary Windows 10 update from scratch on my Surface Book. After installing all the Surface Book drivers, I ran... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Drakoner, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Drakoner Win User

Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing

Hello all,

I installed the Anniversary Windows 10 update from scratch on my Surface Book. After installing all the Surface Book drivers, I ran Windows Update and it downloaded and wanted to install more device drivers.

Most of those drivers failed to install and it won't let me re-install them.

Can anyone please tell me why this is happening?

Screenshot #1:
    Dropbox - 1.jpg

Screenshot #2:
    Dropbox - 2.jpg

setupapi.dev.log:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zahs8a5767...i.dev.log?dl=0

:)

Drakoner, Aug 3, 2016
  2. Helheimr Win User

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 - Error 0x800705b3

Hi all,

I have been able to resolve my problem.

I can confirm that manually forcing the installation of the plain Intel drivers from the Intel website works and I used that as a workaround for some time. But, then I tried to install the Anniversary Update and it failed, see this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfbook-surfupdate/anniversary-update-fails-restoring-your-previous/55aaef02-84ee-4379-9bdc-312c491af7a9

I have now correlated the failed Anniversary Update to this issue Error 0x800705b3 in Windows Update for the graphics card.

My solution;

• Make sure your SB is undocked, not using any external screen.
    • Uninstall the Intel Display Adapter completely, select "remove drivers"
    • Your SB will now be using the Nvidia GPU or a generic driver (NOTE! I have an SB with an additional GPU. Not sure what happens if you do this on a device that does not have 2 GPU. I think it will switch to a generic driver and still work, i.e. you will
      see your screen....but I'm not certain. Try this at your own risk.)
    • Open command prompt in admin mode
    • do pnputil -e to get a list of all installed drivers
    • look for "Intel Display Adapter" drivers and note the "oem###.inf" names of all of those
    • do pnputil -f -d oem###.inf for each of those "oem###.inf" names to force removal of all of the drivers, including old ones, for the Intel Display Adapters from the windows/system32/driverstore
      (yes, all of them)
    • reboot
    • now, do Windows Update as usual and enjoy it finding and properly installing the latest MS approved Intel Drivers for your graphics card
    • Now, the update to Anniversary Update will also be successful.

I'm at loss why this is necessary, but I'm just happy my SB now works OK and all drivers are updating as expected. Hope it works for you too.

Helheimr, Aug 3, 2016
  3. sumenWin Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary update fails to install 76% into the installation process

Hi All

Windows 10 Anniversary is not installing

Received the update via windows update and it failed during the restart and installation phase.After that it wasn't present in windows update.

I then deleted the anniversary update files from C/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Downloads and also the anniversary files from C/

then downloaded the windows 10 update assistance from Microsoft and it downloads the windows 10 Anniversary update and does the same thing, restarts and installs and then fails at 76% and restores the pc.

What can I do ?

Using Lenovo flex 2 14 on windows 10 version 1511

sumenWin, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing

1. Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing - Similar Threads - Installed Anniversary Update

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?: I just updated my 64-bit PC with the anniversary update, as confirmed by the changes to the notification at far right, and all programs showing on the start menu. But then, I tried the update on my 32-bit PC, which I started and let run while away from it. When I came...
  4. Unable to Install Anniversary Update - Keeps failing

Unable to Install Anniversary Update - Keeps failing: I am unable to install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, keeps failing after second restart (at around 75%). Machine is a relatively recent custom build, a little over 12 months old: Gigabyte B85M-HD3 (rev 2) mobo, i5-4460 CPU, Geforce GT 740 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM, Samsung 850...
  5. Windows 10 anniversary update fails and hangs computer

Windows 10 anniversary update fails and hangs computer: I have been running Windows 10 on a pretty plain Dell Inspiron. Today it asked if I wanted to install an update so I let it. After almost an hour of showing a progress meter and seeming to finish that phase, it rebooted and proceeded to seem to install but then put up a...
  6. Windows Update does not download and install the anniversary update.

Windows Update does not download and install the anniversary update.: I am downloading the update manually. Have others had the same issue with windows update not showing the update? I'm not sure my WU is working because of this. 58588
  7. Windows 10 to "anniversary" update FAILS... no message... no clue

Windows 10 to "anniversary" update FAILS... no message... no clue: I finally managed to get my laptop running on Windows 10. All was fine, running build 10240 (RTM, Threshold 1). But then the Windows Upgrade assistant informed me that I'm on an outdated version of Windows 10 and that I should update. Apparently it is pretty massive, an...
  8. Anniversary to Creator update fails with 0x80070652?

Anniversary to Creator update fails with 0x80070652?: So, I have a problem on 1 machine. With the upgrade assistant the update stops with error code 0x80070652 Running from usb drive from windows it looks okay and reboots a few times, but at the last step it just shuts off. After restarting theres a quick error I did not...
  9. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  10. Anniversary update fails

Anniversary update fails: I'm helping a friend with her Toshiba laptop. It came with Windows 7 and she had updated it to windows 10 but could not update to the anniversary version. The anniversary update repeatedly failed for me too. So I did a sfc/scannow which found errors and fixed them. I...