Windows 10: Installed new ram and clock shows zero

Discus and support Installed new ram and clock shows zero in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I didn't know where to post this so I put it here. So I added 4gb of ram to my laptop to bring it up to 8gb. So its 2 slots 4gb each. Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tomseys, Mar 21, 2018.

1. tomseys Win User

Installed new ram and clock shows zero

Hi. I didn't know where to post this so I put it here.

So I added 4gb of ram to my laptop to bring it up to 8gb. So its 2 slots 4gb each. Windows recognizes it in task manager/memory and the bios sees it, system information etc. The computer seems fine.

But, when I run cpu z or speccy, they both show 0 (zero) under clock under Memory/Ram. I've asked about this at another forum and it was suggested to remove the new ram. So I did but when i check speccy again, it still shows no clock with the original ram. My understanding is showing no clock is not a good thing.

So i did a bios reset to default settings and nothing changes. I don't even know if it was always showing no clock info with original ram because I didn't look before adding new ram because I didn't know it was a thing.

So I was wondering... what does that indicate? Any solutions? Thanks.

An example of what I mean:

Installed new ram and clock shows zero [​IMG]

:)

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

RAM upgrade in windows 10

Install the RAM, go into your BIOS and see if the new RAM is even recognised by your laptop

Check the text on the label of the original RAM from your laptop against the new RAM, it is possible a different type altogether.

Just because it fits the slot does not mean it is the correct type for your system, it might have a completely different clock speed, be a different voltage . . . etc.

DaveM121, Mar 21, 2018
  3. KevinM134 Win User
    Get Windows 10 error Not enough RAM

Thank you for your quick response.

No luck on a fix. It seems that the mother board does not see the ram and is only showing 4gb of the 8gb. The Windows system tools and HP update tools only see 0.00 RAM, or Zero of 8gb... It seems that there is a RAM limit on my MB and will need to downgrade
    to 2gb of ram to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro... Very disappointing! To say the least, PTHHTHHTHH...

KevinM134, Mar 21, 2018
  4. Installed new ram and clock shows zero

Speccy uses the same SDK to get hardware info as CPU-Z so they will display the same information.

Obviously your system is working so the memory clocks aren't actually 0. It's possible that CPU-Z/Speccy just don't have support for your CPU yet. I wouldn't worry about it

PolarNettles, Mar 21, 2018
  5. Hi,
    Never buy single slicks
    Always buy kits for whatever amount of ram you want to upgrade too
    8gb 2x4gb kit ....... this insures compatibility.

What ever original ram will be now backup sticks if you some how have to rma the new ram kit.

ThrashZone, Mar 21, 2018
  6. tomseys Win User
    Hi PolarNettles. Thank you.

So i've been getting help with this on the hp support forum and the person who is helping seems to think this indicates something's wrong with the memory. I mentioned what you said haven't heard back yet.

Do you know if there is another similar tool that maybe looks at it from a different angle than speccy/cpu z?

The cpu is not really exotic at least I don't think so .. maybe its an updated version I don't know... its amd a6 9220 radeon r4, 5 computer cores 2C + 3G. Though I did see something about they are updated for AMD on ravel ridge or something like that that I've seen with this laptop with drivers. They updated within past 2 months. Maybe they are missing this.

I guess I can try asking in one of these cpuz type forums.

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  7. ThrashZone, Mar 21, 2018
  8. tomseys Win User

I'm just going to return it back to Amazon.

And i may do the same with laptop to its store since it is new but I trying to see if there really is an issue.

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  9. tomseys Win User
    That's the tool I used to get the ram. I also made sure on amazon that it was totally compatible.

I've already removed the new stick. The old stick is behaving this way too.

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Like I said never buy one stick buy kits *Smile

ThrashZone, Mar 21, 2018
  11. If all the memory is usable then this is purely a tool reporting problem.

You can try HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools .

I am not familiar with how you get the timing information from AMD processors (it's very easy on Intel). Maybe someone with more experience with AMD can comment.

PolarNettles, Mar 21, 2018
  12. tomseys Win User
    Thanks again PolarNettles.
    I'm going to download that tool. I saved some images from when i had both sticks in. So it showed this in taskmanager:

r:

And the bios and system info also reflected the 8GB.

But like I said speccy/cpuz showed:

So I'll see what this tool does and maybe I'll email cpuz..

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  13. tomseys Win User

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  14. tomseys Win User
    Okay after presenting this info from this tool the hp guy thinks it may be okay and try the other stick. I'm sure that is going to be fine as long as I use this tool to analyze it or windows task manager. Speccy couldn't even get the type of memory correct so I'm not real trusting of anything that states. I read on cpuz site that they only very recently updated amd cpus with stoney something so maybe they are missing something and that's why they didn't show it.

I assume this tool is well regarded and it looks pretty in depth so I trust it and I'm going to put other stick back in.

Thank you PolarNettles for suggesting this tool and for letting me know that since the memory is being used it is a reporting issue and not the memory.

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
  15. tomseys Win User
    Okay so I reinstalled the crucial memory 4 GB:

Added: HP guy thinks the numbers are off so I'll be doing more troubleshooting with him.

Looks like there is some sort of issue with the memory.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

tomseys, Mar 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Installed new ram and clock shows zero - Similar Threads - Installed ram clock

2. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA after installing new RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA after installing new RAM: Hi,I have been running this PC on 2x8gb 2666 MHz and installed 2x8gb 3200MHz yesterday evening.Ever since I have been running into occasional BSODs with the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error and Ntfs.sys listed as the failure.Any idea on how I can remedy this issue while...
  3. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA after installing new RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA after installing new RAM: Hi,I have been running this PC on 2x8gb 2666 MHz and installed 2x8gb 3200MHz yesterday evening.Ever since I have been running into occasional BSODs with the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error and Ntfs.sys listed as the failure.Any idea on how I can remedy this issue while...
  4. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA after installing new RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. New 8gb RAM installed in hardware successfully as it is showing in properties but I don't...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New 8gb RAM installed in hardware successfully as it is showing in properties but I don't...: I recently bought a ddr4 8gb RAM and put it in my second slot. Before my RAM is 4gb, now it is supposed to be 12gb. I turned on my task manager and it is showing now 12gb which means the RAM is detected. But, the memory in Task Manager is not exceeding further than 3.8gb no...
  6. Installed new ram and now BSOD

Installed new ram and now BSOD: I installed new ram today and thought it was all working but now I've been crashing with the BSOD. Any and all help would be much appreciated. DMPs: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av-dCtpStbcyhFxkhyW1GkM7sQkj?e=JeGHaa...
  7. Installed a new RAM but doesn't show up.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed a new RAM but doesn't show up.: Hi, I have recently bough a new RAM to upgrade my laptop, the Laptop default spec: Window 10 64bit 4gb Nvidia gtx1650 8gb ddr4 ram The issue is that I bought a new Crucial 8gb DDR4 RAM stick same speed as a default RAM stick in hope to upgrade my laptop to 16gb RAM,...
  8. The : in the clock shows as a box

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The : in the clock shows as a box: [ATTACH] I followed these steps to change my Windows font to Arial. How can I fix this issue while still using Arial font? https://preview.redd.it/e04ec9nhte451.png?width=78&format=png&auto=webp&s=062385a6877c3565e6477f81bf47733be89ee1ea submitted by...
  9. Processor & Installed memory/Ram are showing "Not Available"

Processor & Installed memory/Ram are showing "Not Available": Hello, and I would like to thank you in advance for reviewing my question. I've been searching for an answer on how to fix this for quite some time on the internet, and I'm still lost. When I right-click on "My Computer" on my desktop and select "Properties" to review such...
  10. Showing less RAM than is installed.

Showing less RAM than is installed.: I have installed 16g of RAM in my computer. It is only showing 12g on Task Manager. My mother board will accept 32g. I am running Windows 10. What can I do to recover my 4g?...