Windows 10: Installed program not in the start menu.

Discus and support Installed program not in the start menu. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; With a clean install of Win 10 1703 I installed MSI Afterburner from the administrator account but the shortcuts weren't placed in the standard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kol12, May 10, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Installed program not in the start menu.

With a clean install of Win 10 1703 I installed MSI Afterburner from the administrator account but the shortcuts weren't placed in the standard accounts start menu. I'm not sure if this is Windows issue or MSI Afterburner as I haven't received a reply from Guru3d forums yet...

:)

Kol12, May 10, 2017

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, May 10, 2017
  3. Pinned Program in Start Menu Not Working!

I just installed MatLab2015 educational license yesterday (the icon in the top right), and everything was working fine. I pinned the program to the start menu like this...

Screenshot - 2d8d5988a70cd4c5e7b28d6a7589acd5 - Gyazo

The next time I started my computer, the link for matlab was not working and the icon picture had disappeared. I went to the .exe file, and it let me pin it again, however it created a new link, leaving the old blank one in its place. I am guessing it was
    just a small bug, but now it wont let me unpin the blank one from my start menu. Is there a way that I can manually fix this?

What it looks like now...

Screenshot - 73c7d84938a59c9f301341afe2aa9cb7 - Gyazo

**its the blank one in the bottom right

WillyJStewart, May 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    My guess is 'Afterburner'...

Some installers choose to put shortcuts on the current user's Start menu, some on the All Users Start menu and some give a choice. Looks like Afterburner's install defaults to the current user only.

There are actually two Start menus and what you see is a combination of both.

All Users: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Current User: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Log in as the administrator account and look for which one Afterburner has used. The easiest way to do that is to right-click on it in the Start menu and select More > Open file location. If it's the current user you can copy the folder and shortcuts to the All Users Start menu yourself.

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10

6. dalchina New Member
    A very easy way to do this is to install Classic Shell start menu (free).

If you just don't have it running at startup, Windows is exactly as now. It's just a program which uses those folders. Bug free as far as I know.

So you can use it to drag and drop shortcuts - then check and see if they appear in Windows start menu.

Conversely, if you want to check if a shortcut is there that isn't appearing in Windows start menu (I've seen that reported), again, just use Classic Shell s. menu.

You may even find you like it... most do who try it.

Installed program not in the start menu. [​IMG]

There you can see Open and Open All Users will open those two start menu folders in file explorer. Easy.

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Applications have full control over the start menu and desktop shortcuts associated with them. Applications must explicitly create these items if they are to be present. Windows does not do this.

LMiller7, May 10, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

True, but users can then customise the Start menus and create their own All Apps entries if they wish, including creating folders and shortcuts for apps that don't create their own.

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10

9. Kol12 Win User
    Your quite right, I easily copied the Afterburner shortcuts to the other users Start Menu folder for which it now appears in the start menu. I haven't had MSI Afterburner do this before.

I wondered, for programs that don't install start menu shortcuts for all users, whether that could be avoided by installing the program from the account which you want the shortcuts to appear instead of the administrators account? I guess your probably not going to know what programs do and don't do that and just copying the shortcuts if needed is easier... I understood installing programs from the admin account was always better than from a standard user account with the admin password...

Another issue I have is programs that only start up with the admin account when installed from there. In this case it is the program Asus AI Suite, and the startup is not enabled or disabled from the Task Manager start up tab but instead I think the Task Scheduler. If I want particular parts of this program to start up with Windows from the standard user account how do I do that? I presume somehow in Task Scheduler as that is where this particular program seems to be triggered from...

Kol12, May 11, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    I have never had a problem with Afterburner

But if this helps...
    Download the zip file, unblock it and extract it to:
    C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

It contains all the shortcuts you see above.
    MSI Afterburner.zip

Cliff S, May 11, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    That was the OP's problem - install puts the links in ...\Your User Name\... and OP wanted then in All Users start menu, had to copy them there manually.

12. Cliff S New Member
    Oh? OK*Smile
    Not all programs offer to install for all users, because many of them have to be used with that individual's settings all the time.
    In the case of Afterburner though, the settings are saved to the GPU, and will run at boot(including and saved 3D & 2D profiles too), no matter who is signed in I believe.
    Personally I wouldn't want anyone messing around with my clock settings.

Cliff S, May 11, 2017
  13. Kol12 Win User

@Cliff S

I haven't had a problem with Afterburner before either. I'm the only one who uses my PC so nothing to worry about there. *Wink

Kol12, May 12, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    I have uninstalled it and installed the beta version of it(had to uninstall that as it was giving me problems with the Unigine benchmark Superposition, even though it was probably the beta version of Riva Tuner that was causing the problem) and reinstalled the latest stabile version(4.3.0.9267) back, and had no problems.

In case you're interested in the betas: Guru3D.com Forums - View Single Post - MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Final is Released

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installed program not in the start menu. - Similar Threads - Installed program start

2. Programs/apps in Start menu that aren't installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs/apps in Start menu that aren't installed: I have a number of programs/apps that are not installed on my Windows 10 system but yet show up in the Start menu.For one example, the start menu claims I have an app named "Xbox One SmartGlass" on my system. Clicking on the entry does nothing. Right clicking and selecting...
  3. Programs/apps in Start menu that aren't installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs/apps in Start menu that aren't installed: I have a number of programs/apps that are not installed on my Windows 10 system but yet show up in the Start menu.For one example, the start menu claims I have an app named "Xbox One SmartGlass" on my system. Clicking on the entry does nothing. Right clicking and selecting...
  4. Programs/apps in Start menu that aren't installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restore Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Start Menu Programs: By mistake I removed all my programs from the start menu, they are installed its just they don't show up here on being removed. How to restore them back? Windows: 7 Already Tried: Restarted already...
  6. Organizing Programs in the Start Menu

Organizing Programs in the Start Menu: I have installed a number of online games which now appear separately in the programs list in the start menu as well as tiles. I've consolidated the tiles into a single games folder. How do I do the same thing with the programs in the programs list?...
  7. Programs not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not showing in start menu: I recently changed which SSD I wanted games and a few other things on. Since changing this any of the things installed aren’t showing up on the start menu. I have 3 different SSD’s, not sure if this have anything to do with it? I don’t know if I’m supposed to enable the...
  8. Unknown program in Start Menu

Unknown program in Start Menu: what is it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-program-in-start-menu/8ddcf8fd-d7a1-4a0a-9010-869fa651c347
  9. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  10. installed program not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installed program not showing in start menu: have installed Aome hdd manager on my W10 PC and laptop. on the PCs it appears in the start menu and also as an icon in the start menu. but on the laptop it is not showing, have uninstalled and reinstalled and created a shortcut from the installed .exe file then chose...