Windows 10: Installed System wo MRS Partition - Problem?

Discus and support Installed System wo MRS Partition - Problem? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did a clean install on a new SSD that I had previously formatted and neglected to delete the partition ending up without a MSR partition. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SoFine409, Dec 12, 2015.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Installed System wo MRS Partition - Problem?

I did a clean install on a new SSD that I had previously formatted and neglected to delete the partition ending up without a MSR partition. I've already installed lots of applications so starting over would not be something that I'd want to do. What are possible problems that I could be looking at going forward?

:)

SoFine409, Dec 12, 2015

2. No System Reserved Partition After Free Upgrade and Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

This is my second reply to Mr Wilson_13's reply. Mr Wilson_13's answer did no answer my question. For both upgrades I did a clean install and formatted the system partition. So there was no existing system partition in either case. The two existing Widows
    7 partitions were about the same size and neither had a recovery partition. I formatted the system partition for both clean installs.

The only differences were:

1) The first upgrade was done in October 2015 and the second one was done in June 2016.

2) For the first upgrade Microsoft required that Windows 7 first be upgraded to Windows 10 so that Windows 10 could be authorized and a product key could be obtained.

3) For the second upgrade I was allowed to skip the Windows 7 upgrade step and complete the clean install of Windows 10 and upgrade in a single step. I'm happy for that.

The differences after both clean installs were completed are as follows:

1) For the first clean install, two partitions were created: A 500 MB System Reserve Partition (CInstalled System wo MRS Partition - Problem? :) and and a System Partition (JInstalled System wo MRS Partition - Problem? :). Both partitions fit in the space formatted for the system partition.

2) For the second clean install, a single System Partition (CInstalled System wo MRS Partition - Problem? :) was created.

My questions:

1) Do I need the System Reserve Partition created with the first clean install? If so how is it used?

2) Should I add a System Reserve Partition for the second clean install? If so how do I do that?

3) If the System Reserve Partition created with the first clean install is not needed, can I delete it and change the drive letter for the system partition from (JInstalled System wo MRS Partition - Problem? :) to (CInstalled System wo MRS Partition - Problem? :)? My concern here is that, programs installed on that system drive may use drive
    letters for navigation. If they do, I don't want to change the drive letter because I've got days invested installing other software on the system since the clean install and I don't want to do that again.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Dec 12, 2015
  3. New pc suite version 7.0.8.2

Oh wo! wo! and thrice wo! Windows 2000 is not supported! At least release an application to properly edit the contacts and calendar please on the N95.

Not only do I battle with Microsoft, Nokia has now become an operating system adversary...

fbridge---01, Dec 12, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

On a clean install using GPT partition scheme, you should have:
    • 450MB reserved partition
    • 100MB EFI System partition
    • 16MB MSR Partition, needed with GPT disk to function properly (Hidden from Disk Management, use dispart to see it)
    • The rest is C: Drive
    To see this partition, open Admin command:

• diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk # =====> # is your Win OS drive
    • list par
    • exit

topgundcp, Dec 12, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    That hidden partition/space is not required for a GPT to function properly. I deleted it from my system when I customized my recovery partition.

Installed System wo MRS Partition - Problem? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Dec 12, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Good luck !!!
    Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev

topgundcp, Dec 12, 2015
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Here's my installation with no System Reserved Partition. This was not deliberate on my part but rather the result of too many distractions during the installation of the new SSD and not focusing fully on the Win10 install. First the new carrier for the SSD didn't align with the holes in the case so out came the Dremel tool. With the new SSD in place I formatted and created the overprovisioning partition with Samsung Magician. Then I installed Win10 forgetting to disconnect the old SSD with Win7 on it and not deleting the existing partition from the new SSD (a double dumb mistake) ending up with a dual boot. Definitely not what I wanted. Then I wiped the old SSD and deleted the Win10 installation from the new SSD not realizing that the boot info resided on the old SSD. So after reinstalling Win10 no boot. Yet another dumb mistake; I was on a roll! I was able to do a repair of Win10. So that's how I ended up with no System Reserved partition. I also forgot to set the new SSD as the priority internal boot drive in the BIOS adding yet more fun and frustration to the day. At least all of this kept me off the road so I couldn't kill myself in an auto accident!

I thought this was a story worth telling just for the lesson of stepping back and taking a deep breath when something goes wrong. Insofar as the lack of a MSR partition is concerned, the only consequence I can see is not being able to use bit-locker in the future. Anyone disagree?

Installed System wo MRS Partition - Problem? [​IMG]

SoFine409, Dec 12, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

If you are not using Bit locker then it is fine as is. However, I suggest to swap the cable in your PC to make the C: drive to be on the first sata port ie. disk 0

topgundcp, Dec 12, 2015
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi topgundcp. I'll definitely do that. Thanks.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installed System wo MRS Partition - Problem? - Similar Threads - Installed System MRS

2. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10: Hello, i have a problem. trying to install an operating system on my acer v5. The first problem is that I cannot create a partition.Images: https://files.fm/u/2422r8zq2https://files.fm/u/6putxs97wI tried to create new ones in cmd, but I couldn't. I tried to format the disk...
  3. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10: Hello, i have a problem. trying to install an operating system on my acer v5. The first problem is that I cannot create a partition.Images: https://files.fm/u/2422r8zq2https://files.fm/u/6putxs97wI tried to create new ones in cmd, but I couldn't. I tried to format the disk...
  4. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to relocate installation of System Managed partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to relocate installation of System Managed partition: Ok, before I describe my issue, let me explain a few things.When installing windows for the first time, there are 2 partitions that are made. A system managed partition, and a primary partition. The system managed partition is what I assume to be the location of the EFI or...
  6. System partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System partition: I was doing a clean installation of windows 10 on my laptop and at the hard drive partitioning only 100mb was allocated for my system. I still continue the process and now i'm stuck at "getting ready" portion of installation. I read somewhere that the system partition should...
  7. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  8. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  9. instalation problem and reinstaled system dlete partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    instalation problem and reinstaled system dlete partition: hello at the beginning will describe the entire course of the event on 11/06/2019 I finished using my computer when I came back from work and turned on the computer appeared to me blue screen about the code the critical process died I got help from people here but without a...
  10. No System partition on new clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No System partition on new clean install: I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an earlier Win 10 install. All...