Windows 10: Installed Win7 as dualboot. Now Win10 won't boot due to corruption

Discus and support Installed Win7 as dualboot. Now Win10 won't boot due to corruption in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here's what I did to get this issue: - With EasyBCD, create new entry on newly shrinked and partioned HDD space for Win7 - Install Win7 from USB -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Seabottom, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Seabottom Win User

Installed Win7 as dualboot. Now Win10 won't boot due to corruption

Here's what I did to get this issue:
    - With EasyBCD, create new entry on newly shrinked and partioned HDD space for Win7
    - Install Win7 from USB
    - On the first reboot of the install, the pc boots from the USB again as if its forgotten that it just initialized win7.
    - I figure whatever and try to install it again and now only my external HDD is displayed in the list of available storage.
    - Went into BIOS to try and force boot from the installed HDD, but only my USB was showing so neither of my 2x HDD and 1x SSD were detected.
    - Pull out USB and exit BIOS without saving changes.
    - Tells me there is nothing to boot from at all.
    - I press the reset button on my PC
    - Now I get 2x Win7 entries and 1x Win10 entry. I select the first win7 entry which apparently was the right one.
    - Proceeded to finish installation of Win7 with no USB plugged in.
    - The 2nd win7 entry disappeared after the 2nd install reboot

Now here's the strange part, when I select win10 to boot, I get the "windows is loading files" screen as if I were going to install win7 but once the grey loading bar hits the end, the win10 logo pops into place and then the loading dots in the bottom of the screen are overlaid on top of the win7 loading bar, its looking really strange and then it proceeds to boot into the blue "fix my PC" screen.
    I tried to repair for boot failure but that didn't work.

How can I fix my boot? Don't tell me I have to do a clean win10 install please.

:)

Seabottom, Nov 20, 2015

2. Can we install Win 7 along wide Win 10 without uninstalling Win10

I've bought a laptop with Win10 (x64) pre-installed. Now due to some software compatibility, I need to install Win7.

Is it possible to install Win 7 along side Win 10 without uninstalling Win10? Dual-booting Win 10 and Win 7.

comparsian, Nov 20, 2015
  3. win10 home auto powers on by it's self

Also forgot to mention..

During power on and using the win10 boot manager my system boots into win10 first, then i select win7, then win10 restarts my computer a second time ( with the minute+ delay) just to boot into win7.. WTF .

So i installed BCD boot manager, now my computer boots directly into win7...

But if i do boot into win10, apparently win10 changes something and requires a boot into win10 then a restart ( with the minute or so delay) to get back into win7 again...

As long as i avoid booting into win10 the BCD boot manager stays in control and boots only the one time & directly into win7, with no win10 involved, and no restart & minute+ delay either.

JohnBelbeck, Nov 20, 2015
Thema:

Installed Win7 as dualboot. Now Win10 won't boot due to corruption

1. Installed Win7 as dualboot. Now Win10 won't boot due to corruption - Similar Threads - Installed Win7 dualboot

2. I installed Win10 and now my previous Win7 drive won't boot. What could have happened?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed Win10 and now my previous Win7 drive won't boot. What could have happened?: I'm familiar with the bios and setting boot order. I replaced the SATA cable and used a different power cable but that couldn't have been it because the drive is recognized in the bios. I just get the dreaded blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of a black screen of...
  3. I installed Win10 and now my previous Win7 drive won't boot. What could have happened?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I installed Win10 and now my previous Win7 drive won't boot. What could have happened?: I'm familiar with the bios and setting boot order. I replaced the SATA cable and used a different power cable but that couldn't have been it because the drive is recognized in the bios. I just get the dreaded blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of a black screen of...
  4. I installed Win10 and now my previous Win7 drive won't boot. What could have happened?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Comparing Win10 installation to Win7?

Comparing Win10 installation to Win7?: Getting ready to clean install Win10 Pro 64-bit on a newly built desktop PC (with external USB DVD) using the downloaded ISO for the newest build. (I also have a purchased install disk and license, but not sure which build it is.) I've installed Win7 numerous times (on other...
  6. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  7. Win7 to Win10 won't activate.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 to Win10 won't activate.: Hi all, I got a problem i still have about 60 notebooks left with Win7 enterprise. What i did was got the files from SCCM that we normally deploy/install our notebooks with. I started the setup and it came with a upgrade procedure, following all the steps it started...
  8. Upgrade to Win10 with a DualBoot

Upgrade to Win10 with a DualBoot: Hi, I currently have a dualboot on my PC Win8.1 and Ubuntu and I would like to force the upgrade to Win10 with the MediaCreationTool. I'm wondering if my dualboot will create some problems or if the MediaCreationTool will recognise my Win8.1 partition and just upgrade...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010