Windows 10: Installed Windows 10, can't seem to boot old Windows 7 partition :(

Discus and support Installed Windows 10, can't seem to boot old Windows 7 partition :( in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, first post, thanks for the forum! I just installed Windows 10 and I'm loving it, but I'd love to be able to boot my old Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smacsmac, Feb 24, 2015.

1. smacsmac Win User

Installed Windows 10, can't seem to boot old Windows 7 partition :(

Hi there, first post, thanks for the forum!

I just installed Windows 10 and I'm loving it, but I'd love to be able to boot my old Windows 7 partition. I can still see and access all of my Windows 7 files (it's just listed as the D: drive in the file explorer, the C: being my Windows 10 partition) but I don't see a 'choose OS' screen when I startup, nor do I see any other options in the msconfig boot menu or elsewhere. I'm attaching my discmgmt screen if that sheds any light...any help would be greatly appreciated *Smile Thanks!!

(I should note, I've searched and I can't find answers in other threads...slightly different issues others are having it seems)

Installed Windows 10, can't seem to boot old Windows 7 partition :( [​IMG]

:)

smacsmac, Feb 24, 2015
  2. JediSQL Win User

Bootable Partition Recovery

I finally figured it out. It seems that the Windows 10 re-install somehow un-marked the Windows 7 partition as an active partition. Once I marked the Windows 7 partition as active, then the Windows install disk's recovery tools (I actually do not remember
    whether it was 7 or 10) were able to find the Windows 7 partition and add it to the Windows 10 boot configuration data. Now I can dual boot both operating systems.

JediSQL, Feb 24, 2015
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Trying to delete a system partition on an HDD after reinstalling Windows 10 on an SSD

If the old HDD is still being used by Windows 10 then that is why you can't remove the partition. Remove the drive and see if Windows 10 still boots, if it doesn't then that is why you can't delete the partition. Did you install Windows 10 on the new SSD
    with the old one still present by any chance.?

neilpzz, Feb 24, 2015
  4. smacsmac Win User

My friend pointed me to EasyBCD...did the trick. If anyone else has this issue, you just go to 'add entry' in the main menu of easybcd, select the drive your other OS is on (it was D*Smile for me, and the next time I restarted I could choose between the two.

smacsmac, Feb 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Installed Windows 10, can't seem to boot old Windows 7 partition :( - Similar Threads - Installed can't seem

2. Why can't my old Windows 7 computer boot anymore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't my old Windows 7 computer boot anymore?: Okay, so Monday afternoon, when I came back from school, I turned on my computer and had to patiently wait until I get past the Windows logo, and all of a sudden, it hung for 20 seconds, and then gave me a blue screen of death. So, I had to restart it and tried launching...
  3. Why can't my old Windows 7 computer boot anymore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't my old Windows 7 computer boot anymore?: Okay, so Monday afternoon, when I came back from school, I turned on my computer and had to patiently wait until I get past the Windows logo, and all of a sudden, it hung for 20 seconds, and then gave me a blue screen of death. So, I had to restart it and tried launching...
  4. installed windows 10 on my c drive without creating partitions. Now can't seem to find old data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    installed windows 10 on my c drive without creating partitions. Now can't seem to find old data: My pc was stuck at performing automatic repair so i couldn't access my desktop . I used a bootable windows 10 usb to re install windows 10. I chose custom install and selected c drive partion for installing windows 10 without creating new partitionsAfter new installation now...
  5. Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition: I have not been able to boot into the Windows 10 default partition for some time. I am running Windows 10 Home. Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.746. When I attempt to boot normally the windows boot manager comes up and says that windows cannot boot. I have two partitions on my...
  6. Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition: Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-we-install-windows-7-dual-boot-on-windows-10/72fb11ff-1b7d-4b36-8087-98fff87907c6
  7. Can't boot Windows 10 after messing reserved & installation partitions

Can't boot Windows 10 after messing reserved & installation partitions: I removed Windows 10 x64 (1809)'s 16MB reserved partition located just before the installation partition (which I then resized to be 84MB smaller, with the 84MB unallocated space at the beginning) and increased the SSD's EFI partition, which was located just before the...
  8. Can't boot Windows 10 after messing reserved & installation partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot Windows 10 after messing reserved & installation partitions: I removed Windows 10 x64 (1809)'s 16MB reserved partition located just before the installation partition (which I then resized to be 84MB smaller, with the 84MB unallocated space at the beginning) and increased the SSD's EFI partition, which was located just before the...
  9. Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition

Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition: I'm pulling my hair out here. PROBLEM: Can't install Windows 10 x64 from an OEM disk ... to a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD ... on a GPT partition. It installs instead on a MBR partition. SPECS: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Bios version: F4 SSD: Samsung...
  10. Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition: Hello, I have an existing Windows 10 PC. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I want to make a partition and install Windows 7 on that partition. Microsoft says that installing the older operating system last can "render your system inoperable", so I'm not sure. Obviously, Windows 10...