Windows 10: Installer doesn't have permission to write to the startmenu located..

Discus and support Installer doesn't have permission to write to the startmenu located.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Installer doesn't have permission to write to the startmenu located in C:\ProgramData\Start Menu Avg & some other software wouldn't install at all,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, May 18, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Installer doesn't have permission to write to the startmenu located..

Installer doesn't have permission to write to the startmenu located in C:\ProgramData\Start Menu

Avg & some other software wouldn't install at all, tell I used the take ownership registry file.

I also notice, Windows updates keep not getting installed. I had to keep rebooting and trying windows update each time, the updates did get installed but it was a pain.

cortana does not work to well.

Start Button and Search freeze on occasion.

This is not a request for help, just reporting what happened with windows 10.

:)

groze, May 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 file system error -1073741515

I have also discovered that any operation that require administrative permission doesn't open, it doesn't even say access denied. It simply doesn't do anything.

I was able to open control panel from C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Startmenu/Programs . but it doesn't respond to any operation that needs administrative permission.

I can't find the Administrative Tools folder that should be located on this path.

When I right click on This PC and click Manage it says "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel

on this title on this message window is the path C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Startmenu/Programs/Adminstrative Tools/

which as I said can't find this last folder when I checked.

Hossam.Amin007, May 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 file system error -1073741515

I have also discovered that any operation that require administrative permission doesn't open, it doesn't even say access denied. It simply doesn't do anything.

I was able to open control panel from C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Startmenu/Programs . but it doesn't respond to any operation that needs administrative permission.

I can't find the Administrative Tools folder that should be located on this path.

When I right click on This PC and click Manage it says "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel

on this title on this message window is the path C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Startmenu/Programs/Adminstrative Tools/

which as I said can't find this last folder when I checked.

Hossam.Amin007, May 18, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

I will say thank you for the update even through I didn't understand a thing you were talking about. . .albeit Thank You. . .*Smile

5. groze Win User
    @Lee

I see nothing wrong we my previous post at all. To me it is real clear. The installer I am talking about is AVG free that a virus scanner program in case you didn't know that.

When I first tried to install AVG free it stopped the install because it couldn't write to the C:\ProgramData\Start Menu folder. What I did to fix the issue, is merge the registry file program called take ownership. Right Click on ProgramDate and choose take ownership. This allowed Avg Free to install but still couldn't write to the C:\ProgramData\Start Menu\avg folder.

A similar thing also happen with free macrium reflect. This is an image backup program in case you didn't know that.

groze, May 18, 2015
  6. I had a problem with Macrium Reflect and windows 10 and they are working with MS to resolve all issues when 10 is released.
    shipinomore

shipinomore10, May 19, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    There is a way around that. Make the folder you save your images on a separate drive or a USB hard drive. I use a USB hard drive for backing up. As long as you have created rescue media boot cd or boot flash drive using Windows 8.1 or earlier. Boot with that media and you can do image backups & restore outside of windows 10.

I am actually surprised Microsoft is working with Macrium.

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installer doesn't have permission to write to the startmenu located.. - Similar Threads - Installer doesn't permission

2. Cannot write to game folder. You don't have write permission On a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot write to game folder. You don't have write permission On a game: Hello there,I installed a game from a platform called Steam and I tried to launch but I am facing issues with this game, the other games that I do have are working normally. From what I read from the internet / Microsoft it is based on giving permission from properties >...
  3. Cannot write to game folder. You don't have write permission On a game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot write to game folder. You don't have write permission On a game: Hello there,I installed a game from a platform called Steam and I tried to launch but I am facing issues with this game, the other games that I do have are working normally. From what I read from the internet / Microsoft it is based on giving permission from properties >...
  4. location permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    location permissions: Maps program says it doesn't have permission to use my location. Note in red on location permissions page says " *Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization" Don't know where to find organization settings....
  5. Windows 10 doesn't create startmenu subfolder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 doesn't create startmenu subfolder: When I install multiple versions of same software, it should create subfolders in startmenu (it works in Win7). Is there any setting in Win10 that I need to enable for it?...
  6. Unable to locate file/ do not have permission

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to locate file/ do not have permission: hello, im having problems launching games on the insiders program build, says i don't have permissions or cant find the file when the directory is in the right place and i have all permissions. ive reverted back to last windows 10 update also factory reset my pc and wont...
  7. Don't have write permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Don't have write permission: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  8. Don't have write permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Don't have write permission: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  9. how to fix problem message of "no write permission to specific location"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to fix problem message of "no write permission to specific location": when scanning pic or doc on Kodak printer am getting this message-"no write permission to specific location" so I cannot save the scan. Why is this happening, and what is needed to fix it??...
  10. "no write permission to specific location" issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "no write permission to specific location" issues: have windows 10 unfortunately, and using Kodak printer to scan docs and pics-getting message "no write permission to specific location". NOTHING has been changed by me to my system, but seems EVERY time windows sneaks in to do an upgrade I have another annoying problem. How...