Windows 10: Installing 10 later

Discus and support Installing 10 later in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a small but reasonably beasty Asus laptop (P2520LA) I keep for travel and when at work. At present it is installed with 7 Pro and I have half a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ICIT2LOL, Jul 5, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Installing 10 later

I have a small but reasonably beasty Asus laptop (P2520LA) I keep for travel and when at work. At present it is installed with 7 Pro and I have half a mind (I know what someone will say LOL) to clean install 10 to it and get the free offer of 10 Pro. But I am about to take a trip to the UK and take the machine with me and I don't want to get there and it drop it's bundle and leave me with no resources and/or a lot of mucking around on holiday trying to get it fixed. My partner certainly would not be impressed.

So I think I shall wait until I get back and just buy a copy of 10 Pro and install it from an official DVD and as I can get the copy for around $200 it will save any stress as the copy of 10 I have on this machine (the free ISO) has been a real battle to get right anyway.

What I want to know is if I do that and keep the drive with 7 Pro on it and use a new SSD for the 10 will it be possible to swap out the drives to use the two different systems?? What I would like is to keep it in 7 for a while longer but eventually load the 10 and fix up my gear on it.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Jul 5, 2016

2. Installing windows 10 at a later date

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will be glad to help you with this.

I would suggest you to download and install it right away to experience the Great Features of Windows10.

After one year it will be paid service.

Refer this article for more information: Refer this section-Is Windows 10 really free and do I have to pay for it after the first year has passed?

Link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...p-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-

windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be happy to help.

Thank you

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Boo Hoo Win User
    Installing windows 10 at a later date

My wife is using windows 7 and reserved her copy of windows 10. When we get the notice that windows 10 is downloaded and can be installed, must we install it right away? If she installs it after the july 28th 2016 can she still activate it with her current
    windows 7 key?

Boo Hoo, Jul 5, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Installing 10 later

Should be fine. I don't see any problem with this. I have done it myself.

simrick, Jul 5, 2016
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Thanks simrick in the meantime I have been looking round at prices for this product and EBay have some offers from around $110 some with an optional DVD or stick but they don't say a genuine DVD and the stick as we know can be made up from anywhere as I have the official ISO here now.

Now I can get the DVD from my regular supplier for $209 + $15 postage which is a saving over Microsoft store out here for around $75 so I am just wondering how those other folks can do the copy for the price they quote??

ICIT2LOL, Jul 5, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Can't say. I would be leery buying from sites like that - you never know if someone got hold of a leaked key, which will eventually be blacklisted by MS in the future some time.

You could just go ahead and update, after making a Macrium image of your W7; or, just install the new SSD, clean install W10 and use the W7 key to activate. You have 30 days to revert. Personally, I'd take the free upgrade now, rather than spending $200.

I just upgraded a W7Pro x64 system this evening. Took all of 1 hour and 15 minutes (after prep), and it's fine. I downloaded the ISO from TechBench, installed 7-zip, used it to extract the ISO to the desktop, ran setup.exe, and off it went. Couldn't be easier.

simrick, Jul 5, 2016
  7. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok mate I might just stick to my supplier as I don't get back until after the 3rd September and like I said I don't want the thing to go south while I am away.

I don't mind spending the money and if I had thought this out a bit earlier I would have done what you have suggested but I really don't have the time to fit it all in as I have spare drives but that's my own fault plus I had a fair bit of a hassle with this machine's set up an I couldn't go through that again as it took nearly three days of reinstalling and contacting Microsoft support to get it right.

But thanks again for your patience and time.
    John*Smile

ICIT2LOL, Jul 5, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Installing 10 later

I know what I would do. Create a Windows to Go installation on an external USB hard drive and activate that with the Windows 7 product key (or genuineticket.xml file) and get the digital entitlement saved on Microsoft activation servers for that computer to use for a clean and permanent install later.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  9. Chezler Win User
    If you want to use W10 and W7 on the same computer; you need to do some research first. I say this because I did this and now have a perfectly good W7 SSD I can't boot to.
    First, look at your installed WIN Updates and see if you have KB3133977. There is an issue with this update and ASUS motherboards with UEFI BIOS running W7.
    Both MS and ASUS know about it. Go to ASUS and look it up. There is a work-around for MOST motherboards, but not all.
    If you have that update installed, try to uninstall it, (if it is uninstallable). It enables Secure Boot, and W7 can't use it. It will give a security error and W7 won't boot.
    If you CAN uninstall it or don't yet have it installed, turn off automatic updates so it CAN'T get in there on its own. You can always install updates as you see fit. Just never install that one.
    Secure Boot is for W8 and W10.
    If you have it installed and can't uninstall it; you need to be able to disable Secure Boot in the UEFI BIOS utility. Some motherboards, this is easy, some it can't be done. ASUS says it can not be disabled on my motherboard.
    As soon as you install W10, Secure Boot will be enabled. You need to find out if you can get to it and have the ability to enable/disable it BEFORE you install W10. Otherwise; you MIGHT have a situation like mine.
    ASUS says my only option is to reinstall W7 and go through all the updates and not install KB3133977.

I really don't want to do that. I'd rather work on getting around their goof. But that's just me. I have other computers.

Check these things out, and don't believe it when someone says "All you have to do is go into BIOS and turn it off".
    It may not be that simple.

Chezler, Jul 5, 2016
  10. IF you clean install on the SSD, you lock in the Win10 upgrade

It doesn't take long or babysitting.

I've been told that if you have the most recent ISO, you can enter your previous version key
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

I have not confirmed this, but I regard the member well

I used to send people to this tutorial
    You need to generate a file on the Win7 install disk and save it to an external
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

remove the Win7 drive
    install the new SSD

Install Win10

Then put the Win7 drive back in for your trip.

Bill

Slartybart, Jul 5, 2016
  11. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok a few options that I can see. Now I could clean install the 10 on a spare drive and activate it with the generic code first and leave the 7 code until later when I get back. But I am concerned that I would lose the free 10 install because I didn't use the 7 code to activate at the time of doing that clean install - are Microsoft going to pull me up for not using the 7 code at the time?
    I suppose if they do block me from using the 7 key after the end of the month then I always have the option of buying the OEM and installing it from it. .

ICIT2LOL, Jul 5, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Microsoft themselves says on their website that they do not block the Windows 7 key after the end of the month. So, unless they are lying on their own website your Windows 7 product key remains valid. I know that mine have.

In order to get the free entitlement to Windows 10 you do have to use a Windows 7/8/8.1 product key to activate Windows 10. If the first Windows 10 installed on that computer is done with only the generic Windows 10 product key, it won't activate at all.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  13. ICIT2LOL Win User

Installing 10 later

Ok Navy I will try when I get back it can only not work which means I have to buy the OEM which again doesn't bother me and I think makes for no mucking around.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installing 10 later

1. Installing 10 later - Similar Threads - Installing later

2. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643...
  3. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643...
  4. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

7. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

8. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

9. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...