Windows 10: Installing a Solid State Drive to my laptop.

Discus and support Installing a Solid State Drive to my laptop. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So since I am 12 I am probably going to get a lot for Christmas. So I decided I will make my notebook laptop into a gaming PC. Before you think;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Theo, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Theo Win User

Installing a Solid State Drive to my laptop.

So since I am 12 I am probably going to get a lot for Christmas. So I decided I will make my notebook laptop into a gaming PC. Before you think; Laptop.. Gaming PC? It is a beast of a laptop and it has beaten many desktops at video games, applications ect. One of the main problems I have with this laptop is that it is amazing but when it gets to a certain point it just stops performing as well as it should, I checked task manager and the Ram was pretty low, the CPU was pretty low, the Ethernet connection was fine but the Hard Disk Performance is sky high (Even when I am doing totally nothing. Bearing in mind the read speed was 6.5mb/s and the Write speed was going under 135Kb/s (135Kb Max). So I decided I needed to get an SSD but I have no idea how to install one or transfer my laptop data to an SSD.

Thanks,

:)

Theo, Dec 9, 2015
  2. dark2099 Win User

Windows 10 key

I had purchased a laptop second hand from a friend, and in the process of setting it up for myself I did not switch from the hard drive that the laptop came with to the solid state drive I have for it and installed and activated Windows 10 with a new key.
    After I switch to the solid state drive, will I have any issues if I use the same key?

dark2099, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Unable to boot from a hard drive/ solid state drive

Hi there, I recently installed a new ssd into my desktop which had only previously had a normal hard drive. Obviously i would like to boot to my ssd when the computer starts because it is faster then the hard drive. However, when I look in my bios, the
    number one boot priority is UEFI : Windows Boot Manager. I don't see any way to redirect this from the windows boot manager to a specific hard drive. Does anyone know of any way I can do this?

JonesPearlman, Dec 9, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Are you asking how to do that?

If you wish to clone your hard disk onto an SSD, you'll need some way of attaching the SSD to your laptop. If the laptop has a second HD mounting location, you could use that. Otherwise, you'd probably want a USB to SATA cable. (The SSD can be powered off the USB cable.) There are SSD kits that include the cable, but you can buy it separately. In addition, you'd need drive cloning software, which is generally included with an SSD purchase.

It's not a difficult process, but I think that when I was 12, I would have wanted help from an experienced person, like a computer savvy 15 year old.

bobkn, Dec 9, 2015
  5. Word Man Win User
    Assuming you only want to replace the HDD with an SSD (not many laptops have room for a second disk, but a "beast" may, IDK *Wink):

As far as physical installation, it would help if you tell us the model number of your HP laptop - you'll need to make sure what kind of connection you have for the SSD and what thickness (height) of SSD will fit in there and whether it needs a shim (inserted pad of some kind) to give it a firm seating that stays in place.

If you look into a free software like Macrium Reflect Free (some find it more reliable than manufacturer supplied cloning software), you can go with either cloning from the HDD to the SSD or else do an image of the HDD (onto an external disk) and then restore to the SSD - either has its advantages for the particular user. In any event, you'll want to run "winsat formal" from an elevated command prompt after the SSD is in place just to ensure Windows takes a fresh look at your disk and treats it like an SSD rather than an HDD (the source of all the data on the SSD.

P.S. - Welcome to TenForums, Theo!

Word Man, Dec 10, 2015
  6. iamc3k Win User
    Another vote to use Macrium. Swapping hard-drives in a laptop is easy. As mentioned above, the biggest difficulty is connecting the new SSD to the laptop while the original HDD is still running. Figure out which data and power cables/connectors/adapters you need.
    After you've got that done, get the free Macrium utility and clone your existing drive onto the new one. (Depending on sizes, you'll either need to shrink the original first, or expand the second after you've installed it.)

Good luck!

iamc3k, Dec 11, 2015
  7. PJLLB Win User
    Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7) (in the Control Panel) allows you to make an image of your hard drive to a network or USB device (in addition to an installed device). It's an easy option withough having to install another program.

PJLLB, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing a Solid State Drive to my laptop. - Similar Threads - Installing Solid State

2. Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive: Hi, it's Annabelle. I am asking this question because I'm planning to install Windows 7 onto a solid state drive, which I'm putting into a brand new tower, and I'm wondering if you might have an answer for me. I have two Western Digital Black solid state drives which I've...
  3. Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive: Hi, it's Annabelle. I am asking this question because I'm planning to install Windows 7 onto a solid state drive, which I'm putting into a brand new tower, and I'm wondering if you might have an answer for me. I have two Western Digital Black solid state drives which I've...
  4. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  5. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  6. Install windows 10 to a Solid State Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 to a Solid State Drive?: Is it possible to do a [clean] install of Windows 10 to a SSD that is attached via USB 3.0? I have a SeaGate OneTouch 500 GB external drive. I looked on Seagate.com but couldnt track down the exact file to download for Windows 10 installation drivers... Any help? Thx,...
  7. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  8. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  9. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  10. Upgrading to a solid-state drive in my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to a solid-state drive in my laptop: What do I need to do in advance to re-install Window 10 says digitally activated and linked to my Microsoft account? What do I need to do in advance to reinstall Office Pro Plus 2016? Thanks Dan...