Windows 10: Installing a Windows 8.1 32 bit HDD into a Windows 10 64 bit PC

Discus and support Installing a Windows 8.1 32 bit HDD into a Windows 10 64 bit PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently built a new Windows 10 64 bit Pc (refer System Specs.), to replace an older Windows 8.1 32 bit machine which was limited in terms of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wilbri, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Wilbri Win User

Installing a Windows 8.1 32 bit HDD into a Windows 10 64 bit PC

I have recently built a new Windows 10 64 bit Pc (refer System Specs.), to replace an older Windows 8.1 32 bit machine which was limited in terms of further upgrade. This PC is fitted with a I TB hard drive.

Although this PC performs extremely well, the SDDs installed do not offer sufficient storage capacity.
    From the outset I always intended to install the 1 TB removed from the older machine to provide this facility.
    My concern is that the HDD has the 32 bit system installed and I now require to install it into a 64 bit machine.

Advice about how I should proceed to achieve this would be gratefully appreciated

:)

Wilbri, Mar 26, 2016
  2. prattden Win User

32 bit Win7 to 64bit Win10

I have 32 bit version of Windows 8.1 installed. I want to upgrade my free Windows 10 to 64 bit, but when I attempt to install Windows 10, I am not given the option to install the 64 bit version. I'm assuming that's because I have the 32 bit version of
    Windows 8.1 installed. So, I thought I would install the 64 bit version of Windows 8, over the 32 bit version, but when I try to install the 64 bit version of Windows 8 over the 32 bit version of Windows 8.1 I get a message telling me that "This App can't
    run on your PC."

How can I work around this?

Thanks.

prattden, Mar 26, 2016
  3. Larrypa11 Win User
    Installing windows 10 pro 64 bit on new PC

I want to Install windows 10 pro 64 bit on new PC , On my old PC I have windows 10 pro 32 bit , 9 years ago I bought old PC with OEM Vista OS , about 2-3 years ago I purchased windows 8 pro 32 bit for $40 by a download from microsoft and clean installed
    this on old PC on a new hard drive, since then I upgraded to windows 8.1 pro 32 bit and then upgraded to windows 10 pro 32 bit. Can I directly install the windows 10 pro 64 bit on new PC by USB drive created by mediacreationtool program or do I have to install
    windows 8 pro 32 bit via my windows 8 recovery CD then upgrade to win 8.1 pro 32 bit , then install windows 10 pro 64 bit on new PC by USB drive created by mediacreationtool program? Also will there be any activation issues?

Larrypa11, Mar 26, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

The main issue you will see is that both the New drive and the transferred drive will be marked as active. I have a external drive hot swap bay that allows me to do this sort of clean after booting an OS but that's not needed for one off work *Smile

As long as the New drive is in the priority SATA slot (drive 0) then the system should then boot from the new drive and you can sort out the old drive using Disk Management to wipe it clean and repartition / format.

You could also use a Windows Install disk or a Partition Wizard Boot disk to clean the disk while still in the old system, before transfer

The partition Wizard disk is my suggested option as it can also be used to sort out any issues on the New system After the transfer.

As long as you are prepared the transfer should not cause any issues.

.iso download is here ... Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

Full program is here .... MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

Barman58, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Wilbri Win User
    Dear Barman58,

Many thanks for your prompt response.
    It would appear that the problem is not as difficult ro overcome as I thought.
    I am currently using my PC on a project, but look forward to undertaking the installation of the old drive. currently awaiting delivery of additional goods ordered as one item is a Molex to 3 x SATA power connectors one of which will be used to power thew HDD.

Will keep you posted.

Kind regards

Brian

Wilbri, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing a Windows 8.1 32 bit HDD into a Windows 10 64 bit PC - Similar Threads - Installing bit HDD

2. windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: hello, so recently I upgraded my computer to windows 10, but I did this while not knowing that I could get 64-bit as well, I've tried to download 64-bit on my upgraded computer via the media installation tool into my USB, but every time I do it, it says that windows cannot...
  3. windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: hello, so recently I upgraded my computer to windows 10, but I did this while not knowing that I could get 64-bit as well, I've tried to download 64-bit on my upgraded computer via the media installation tool into my USB, but every time I do it, it says that windows cannot...
  4. windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 32-bit Windows 10 in 64-bit PC

32-bit Windows 10 in 64-bit PC: My PC has 64-bit archtecture and runs 64-bit Windows 10 Home version 1903. I have an old but well working printer with only a 32-bit driver. I need to run 32-bit Windows 10 to be able to use the printer. I have downloaded 32-bit Windows.iso and "burned " it on a USB hard...
  6. Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: Hello, I've just bought windows 10 32 bit and released I need the 64 bit version instead will I be able to upgrade this or will I need to buy the 64 bit version instead...
  7. Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit

Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit: I recently purchased a new hard drive, and I installed windows 10 64 bit on my laptop (Inspiron 15 3000 series) and after that the laptop started runnin slow, unable to use my technical drawing apps and my games. my RAM is 4GB and I want to install windows 10 32 bit but...
  8. 32 bit or 64 bit window 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    32 bit or 64 bit window 10?: how can i find out if my Windows 10 Home is a 32 bit or 64 bit version? My laptop is a 64 bit operating system. I've looked at the "Settings -- System -- About" and all it tells me is that it is Windows 10 Home....
  9. Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?

Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?: Yesterday I installed windows 10 with 32-bit operating system, but now I want to change the operating system to 64-bit. I want to know if I can reinstalled windows 10 with 64-bit operating system? 11557
  10. 32-bit or 64-bit and 8 or 10 with current specifications

32-bit or 64-bit and 8 or 10 with current specifications: Hi, I am thinking about upgrading my laptop, from my windows 7 Professional 64-bit to either 8 or 10, can't decide which, and 32-bit or 64 bit. To sum it up, I have a 2.40Ghz Intel 2duo 2core processor, 4gb DDR3 ram, and directx11 Mobile Intel 4 express chipset gpu, here's...