Windows 10: Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

Discus and support Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an XPS 8910 with a 1TB HDD and would like to install a 256GB SSD which would act as a C bootup drive Can someone please explain how this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by provlima, May 16, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

I have an XPS 8910 with a 1TB HDD and would like to install a 256GB SSD which would act as a C bootup drive
    Can someone please explain how this is done?
    I have a macrium backup. Would I be able to restore W10 and my other programs to the SSD and leave the data on the existing HDD?
    Thanks for your help

:)

provlima, May 16, 2018
  2. toddy_df Win User

installing a ssd drive

hi

can any one please advise i am going to to install a ssd drive onto my system running windows 10. If i clone my drive after installing the new ssd drive will it also copy the letter ?.

Or do i just change the the boot letter in the bios ?.

If the drive letter assigned is not " C " will this still boot ok ?.

toddy_df, May 16, 2018
  3. YuanSR Win User
    Adding a SSD as C: Drive

Hi,

To move the OS, you need some cloning tools indeed. Otherwise, you have to do clean install. Normally, my suggestion is to install SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Yet you got Windows 10 from Windows 8.

To my knowledge, the registry information is connected with your motherboard instead of the hard drive. So change a hard drive won't go bad.

Give Aomei Partition Assistant a shot. There is a "migrate OS to SSD" feature which can move OS drive including installed programs to SSD. Then remove
    your current hard drive to test if you can boot Windows 10 from SSD.

Always backup important data. Regards.

YuanSR, May 16, 2018
Thema:

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

1. Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive - Similar Threads - Installing SSD drive

2. My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?: its so annoying if i want to maybe download a game which is 35gb and if disk C has 20gb and D has 20 so that I have to delete something else to download it....
  3. My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?: its so annoying if i want to maybe download a game which is 35gb and if disk C has 20gb and D has 20 so that I have to delete something else to download it....
  4. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  5. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  6. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  7. my ssd c drive is getting full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my ssd c drive is getting full: my ssd c drive is getting full, I added a new ssd drive and want to add that drive to c drive to make c drive bigger. The extend drive in c is greyed out, and im not sure how to go about doing what I want. I have disk management, i also have EaseUS Partition software...
  8. failed ssd c drive

failed ssd c drive: I installed a new video card and when I went to boot my system up I could not, ssd c drive had failed to boot. I tried a boot recovery disk, I tried laying a new version of windows 10, nothing worked. Can I create a disk image from my failed ssd drive and how?...
  9. How to manage installations when C drive is SSD Boot Drive

How to manage installations when C drive is SSD Boot Drive: This isn't a question pertaining to installing Windows specific files, but general installation of programs and apps on a system with a maxed out C drive thats an SSD Boot Drive with only 100gb capacity, and a empty D Drive that is an HDD with 1TB capacity. I bought my wife...
  10. Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.

Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.: So I know you can install windows through a Flash Drive. I wanted to know if there was anyway to use a extra SSD as a Multiple Partition "Containing Different Windows and standard drivers for that OS" as a bootable installer. Mainly if I'm building a customers computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive