Windows 10: Installing Dell Drivers: installation package could not be opened

Discus and support Installing Dell Drivers: installation package could not be opened in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Further to my thread regarding removing the crapware on my new Dell: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...-crapware.html I've done a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nigelmercier, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Installing Dell Drivers: installation package could not be opened

Further to my thread regarding removing the crapware on my new Dell: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...-crapware.html

I've done a clean install, and want to install some drivers from the Dell web site. I've downloaded the files, but if I try to extract or install them I get an error, see image attached.

When I open the location they were extracted to, there are no files there!

I note in the install log that it has a personality error as below, not sure if this is relevant:
    WARNING Personality Module lib FAILED to return Values via GetPersonalityInfo().

Image below is error after attempt to extract or install drivers or applications:

:)

nigelmercier, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Anne Ros Win User

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exits and that you can access it..."

Thank you for the answer. We'd like to know if you're using a CD or USB device, as it needs to be a bootable device in order to install Windows.

Try the following steps below to troubleshoot the error and see if it will work:

• Check the setup file to make sure if the installer is for a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows device.
    • Right-click on the .exe file, select Properties and check if it is blocked. If it is, click the Unblock option.
    • Disable your antivirus software and see if it helps with the installation.
    • After doing all these, try if you can now install Windows.

Looking forward to your update about the result.

Anne Ros, Apr 29, 2016
  3. MykeMD Win User
    "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exits and that you can access it..."

Okay Anne,

Thank you for trying to help but it seems you are not understanding the situation. I'm not trying to install Windows. I'm trying to install a program onto my Windows computer. I have Windows 10 already and Windows Installer (the default installer program)
    is not allowing me to install a much needed upgrade to a program I already have installed. But since that program is linked to others in our network I cannot access it unless this update is installed. All the other computers have been upgraded with no issues.
    I on the other hand cannot even access or open the update due to the message I referenced in the the title of this post.

I didn't know which board to post on due to the specific nature of this issue. So I went with the one that included the word "Install". Hopefully that makes more sense.

MykeMD, Apr 29, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Installing Dell Drivers: installation package could not be opened

What Dell machine is it? I see no mention of it here, in the other thread, or in your system specs.

I'd expect Dell drivers to be .exe files, so something seems odd with your download.

bobkn, Apr 29, 2016
  5. If it makes a difference, it's an Inspiron 15 5000 Series 5559

The drivers are exe files, I have downloaded them several times. They run, then fail as above.

nigelmercier, Apr 30, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    A laptop. Eek.

Another couple of stupid questions:

Are the drivers for 10 (or at least 8.1)? I imagine that some installers might have security issues with some of the locations they want to write to.

Did you run the installers as administrator? (Not just from an admin account.)

bobkn, Apr 30, 2016
  7. They are all Windows 10 drivers, that's what the PC came with. Yes, run as Admin.

nigelmercier, Apr 30, 2016
  8. Clint Win User

I just had a similar problem trying to install Dell drivers. When I clicked on the .exe file, it came up with a box that said INSTALL and EXTRACT, I chose install. That's when it said couldn't find the file. After doing this several times, I chose extract. Then it ask where to extract to. It extracted them to a folder in Program Data. It was C:\ProgramData\Dell\Drivers\ (name of file) I went to that folder and clicked on the setup file and it installed with no problem. ProgramData is a hidden folder. You have to go to folder options and check Show hidden folders files and drives. You shouldn't have to do all this. That's not what the instructions say. Also before you start, it may be a good idea to copy the downloaded drivers to the Desktop and try to install them from there. I have some programs that would only install from the Desktop..

Clint, Apr 30, 2016
  9. When I do this, there is no file in the extract folder.

nigelmercier, May 6, 2016
  10. Clint Win User
    Where did it say it extracted them to?

Installing Dell Drivers: installation package could not be opened [​IMG]

Clint, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Dell Drivers: installation package could not be opened - Similar Threads - Installing Dell Drivers

2. Recurring Windows Installer Issue: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recurring Windows Installer Issue: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact...: Hello All, I'm trying to download and install an update for my NVivo Qualitative Data Analysis software program. Every single time I've tried to update it, the Nvivo Update Installer opens, appears to download the update, and then Window's Installer opens and then I receive...
  3. Recurring Windows Installer Issue: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recurring Windows Installer Issue: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact...: Hello All, I'm trying to download and install an update for my NVivo Qualitative Data Analysis software program. Every single time I've tried to update it, the Nvivo Update Installer opens, appears to download the update, and then Window's Installer opens and then I receive...
  4. Recurring Windows Installer Issue: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you...: when i try to use the command msiexec /i this massage This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package. i tried this Step...
  6. This installation package could not be opened in Sandbox

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This installation package could not be opened in Sandbox: I was really looking forward to using Windows Sandbox for testing the installers I generate as result of my build. Unfortunately, right off the bat ran into the "This installation package could not be opened …" error message. Have tried all of the options related to msi...
  7. This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you...: Hello! I've tried downloading Elgato Game Capture but it keeps giving me " This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."...
  8. Make a windows installer driver package

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Make a windows installer driver package: G'day guys, TL;DR; How do a make a package of 5 or so windows 10 drivers that the a client can install? I have a Windows 10 application that I'm shipping to clients independently of the tablet it will be installed on. The client is responsible for installing the...
  9. "This installation package could not be opened." error message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This installation package could not be opened." error message: I am trying to install TI-Nspire CX Student Software, but everytime I go to run the installer, an error message pops up that reads, "This installation package could not be opened." I contacted Microsoft support because this has happened numerous times to other software, and I...
  10. Error: this installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error: this installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and...: Hi, While installing Java & MySQL and some other apps in windows 10, I am frequently getting this error: Error: this installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that it is a...