Windows 10: installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format)

Discus and support installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi Microsoft: I installed two drivers I downloaded from the update catalog. They are in cab format. I extracted the two files and it created two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PaulPChou, Jul 21, 2018.

1. PaulPChou Win User

installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format)

hi Microsoft:

I installed two drivers I downloaded from the update catalog. They are in cab format. I extracted the two files and it created two folders. I opened both and when I saw files that states, setup information under type, I right clicked on it and clicked on install. The result states: The operation completed successfully. Does that mean the two drivers are installed correctly? Does that mean I do not have to use DISM as in this site: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/02/15/how-to-use-dism-to-install-a-hotfix-from-within-windows/#CPackageManagerCLIHandler to install them?

The two drivers are: Intel Corporation - System - 6/14/2018 12:00:00 AM - 1.0.0.1329 and Intel - System - 7/6/2018 12:00:00 AM - 0.9.4.67.

I restarted my device even though it didn't ask me to. After I restarted it, what should happen or should anything happen?

:)

PaulPChou, Jul 21, 2018
  2. Bob777K Win User

Cab file from Microsoft Update Catalog contains (almost) duplicates of all files

I just downloaded a cab file to re-install graphics drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog. When I expanded the contents of the cab file, I found that there was a
    cabfolder included with all the other driver files. The
    cabfolder contained the exact same number of files with the same names and file sizes as the other driver files included
    outside of the cabfolder. If the files within the
    cabfolder were
    identical to those outside the cabfolder, I would just consider them duplicates and use one set of files or the other. However, every exe or dll file within the
    cabfolder has binary differences from the same-named file outside the
    cabfolder. Therefore, I don't know which of the two sets of files is correct to use for the installation.

Besides the binary differences -- which I do not know how to interpret -- the only other difference between the two sets of same-named files is that the ones outside the
    cab folder are a few seconds more recent in their date/time stamp than those
    within the cab folder. Again, if the contents had been identical, I would not really have any concern, but since they differ in binary content, it would not seem that
    both sets of files are equally valid.

The specific information identifying the cab file in question is:

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    Windows 10 and later drivers,Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers
    Drivers (Video)
    5/19/2016
    99.6 MB

Suggestions? I need to know which set of files is correct for re-installing my graphics drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bob777K, Jul 21, 2018
  3. installing a cab file

so basically the instructions on this page is erroneous or outdated

How to Install Cumulative updates CAB Files on Windows 10

• Download the CAB Files x86 / X64 depending upon the OS architecture
    • Rename file to KBnumber.сab (for example KB3176931.Cab)
    • Copy to folder C:\
    • Run command-prompt as admin (Right click on Windows icon and choose option). Check the image above.
    • Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\KBnumber.cab
    • This installs the CU CAB File. Check the screenshots below for example.
    • Your devices will restart once the installation is over. Else you may need to restart your PC

this is the first page for google search.

I already tried NOT naming the file. I used the original name. still not found

beerus_king, Jul 21, 2018
  4. D4ni3l Win User

Install CAB file in Windows 10

Another way to install a cab file (Realtek Audio driver as example)

• Extract the cab file to a directory using winrar or other extraction tool (create a new directory)
    • Open the Device Manager in admin mode (Win+R devmgmt.msc)
    • Select the device and Click "Update Driver Software..."

installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format) mYHnLsC.png
    • Browse and select the folder where you have extracted the cab

installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format) WqsIg6V.png
    • And install the driver !

This is the easiest way i found

D4ni3l, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

1. installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format) - Similar Threads - installing drivers update

2. DirectX installing CAB file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DirectX installing CAB file: Hello. My name is Nicat. When I want to open and download directX dxwebsetup.exe then i recive a pop up.How i can fix this problem? I found the directX packaxe and i will opened it and extrat it. But i can't fix this. Extract- "C: > New > DirectX...
  3. DirectX installing CAB file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DirectX installing CAB file: Hello. My name is Nicat. When I want to open and download directX dxwebsetup.exe then i recive a pop up.How i can fix this problem? I found the directX packaxe and i will opened it and extrat it. But i can't fix this. Extract- "C: > New > DirectX...
  4. Inject Drivers from Windows Update Catalog

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inject Drivers from Windows Update Catalog: Hi, Firstly wasn't sure if this should go here or in the driver group! I've got a custom 21H1 WIM, done totally manually using DISM. I also store the .exe files on the USB stick for the vendor drivers but want to automate this bit. Using MDT/SCCM etc. no problem, but never...
  5. Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder

Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder: I successfully downloaded an Intel Graphics Update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which automatically went into the "download file," as a long string of letters and numbers, which at the end says.cab, and has it the same size listed as was shown in the Microsoft Update...
  6. How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?: My H81 chipset is not on the list in this post. Windows Update MiniTool shows "pci\ven_8086&dev_8c3a" and "11.7.0.1040". I have downloaded the following from Microsoft Update Catalog. Intel - System - 7/18/2017 12:00:00 AM - 11.7.0.1040 Windows 10 and later drivers Drivers...
  7. Installing update cab file

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing update cab file: Hello, I am trying to install an update in .cab format, "KB4519337". Searched the net how to install such update, and whatever I did, the answer was an error "could not find or open the file". Renamed the file's name to be a short name, copies it to C folder, always could not...
  8. Windows 10 update cab file Installer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update cab file Installer.: Problems with Windows 10 Updates are an ongoing issue now. and the possible solution to overcome this is by downloading the updates manually from the Microsoft®Update Catalog or using tools like WHDownloader (formerly Windows Hotfix Downloader) The issue is that some...
  9. How to install a new driver downloaded from Microsoft Update catalog ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to install a new driver downloaded from Microsoft Update catalog ?: As I encounter problems with my Lan driver Realtek and Windows 10 Pro 64, somone on the forum said me to download the last version from Microsoft update catalog which seems the good one. So I downloaded the driver but it is a .cab file. When I unpacked the files I obtain...
  10. Windows Catalog Cabs and Windows 10 Build 1511

Windows Catalog Cabs and Windows 10 Build 1511: Hello all! I have a little doubt regarding this, normaly, I would just install a service pack on top of a system, and vuala! System upgraded! Anyway, I have this doubt in Windows 10, I got 1511, upgraded to the latest partches prior to 1607 (AU) build, I'm thinking on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install microsoft update catalog 9.17.10.4459 x64 driver