Windows 10: Installing Hyper V detects extra generic PnP monitor

Discus and support Installing Hyper V detects extra generic PnP monitor in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi Guys, First post here. I have a MSI GS70 Stealth Pro laptop. One fine day, when i plugged it into a external monitor , it did not display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by tt77, Dec 3, 2016.

1. tt77 Win User

Installing Hyper V detects extra generic PnP monitor

Hi Guys,

First post here. I have a MSI GS70 Stealth Pro laptop. One fine day, when i plugged it into a external monitor , it did not display proper. I dont know how to put it into words, but it got confused with the number of monitors. The image below explains it much better.

Installing Hyper V detects extra generic PnP monitor [​IMG]

Also in Device manager, it would show me two Generic PnP monitors.

Please note - this would happen even if I unplug the external monitor.

After some tinkering, I found out that installing Hyper V will cause this problem. So if i do a reset and go back to window 8, install windows 10, everything is fine. As soon as I install Hyper-v the display problem starts happening. If I installer Hyper-v it becomes Ok again.

I've had this laptop for 2 years, and this problem only suddenly appeared. I sent it for repairs, and they sent it back after a hard reset to window 8.1. I am going crazy, is this a hardware fault or a software issue? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

:)

tt77, Dec 3, 2016

2. generic pnp monitors detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I'd be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to follow these methods, mentioned below, to fix your issue.

Method 1:

You may update the Display Adaptor driver from Device Manager manually and check, if this helps.

•Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

•Expand “Display Adaptors”.

•Right click on the 'Display Adaptors' and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check, if it works.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 2.

Method 2:

Uninstall and reinstall the Display Adaptor
    driver and check, if it works. Refer to the following steps to uninstall the
    Display Adaptor driver from the Device Manager.

a. Click on Windows key + X and then, select Device Manager.

b. Locate and expand “Display Adaptors” in the Device Manager Window.

c. Right-click on the “'Display Adaptors” and click on “uninstall" to uninstall
    Display Adaptor driver.

d. Restart the computer and check, if it works.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 3.

Method 3:

I suggest you to reinstall the latest Display Adaptor driver in compatibility mode and check, if it works.

Follow these steps to install the Display Adaptor driver in compatibility mode.

1. Download the latest Display Adaptordriver from the manufacturer’s website.

2. Right-click on the setup file and click on "Properties".

3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.

4. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Dec 3, 2016
  3. idandolev Win User
    generic pnp monitors detected

Hi

I upgrade my windows 7 to 10.

Now I have 2 generic monitor in the device manager detected instead of there real devices ( both are Samsung monitor).

Now on my disaply setting, I only have a screen 1|2, and not 2 separated.

got AMD 7900 card.

what should I do ?

idandolev, Dec 3, 2016
  4. vally78 Win User

Did you ever find an answer to this issue? I am experiencing it as well!

vally78, Jan 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Installing Hyper V detects extra generic PnP monitor - Similar Threads - Installing Hyper detects

2. Generic PnP Monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Generic PnP Monitor: All of a sudden my pcs default monitor was changed to generic pnp monitor driver . Improper visuals during gaming at low resolution and so on. how can i fix this and intall the previos driverI have tried updating, reinstalling but nothing seems to workHP BS100 series...
  3. Generic pnp monitor

Generic pnp monitor: I accidently unintalled the generic pnp monitor but now i need it to access a program. kindly advise on how to reinstall and enable the monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-pnp-monitor/319a110b-d138-44ca-8e7d-248a8fbdb0df
  4. monitor Generic pnp

in Windows 10 Customization
    monitor Generic pnp: Ok! First I Have this problem when i switched to windows 10 this problem i have never had it before my mouse not smooth there is mouse trails when i move my mouse i turn it off from mouse settings nothing happens i need help this problem don't give me smooth...
  5. PnP Generic Monitor Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    PnP Generic Monitor Problem: I bought new computer setup from my friend recently. After my friend reseted the windows, monitor in Device Manager turned into PnP Generic Monitor. When I go to display setting to advanced display setting, windows recognizes my graphic card and monitor everything. But in...
  6. Generic PNP Monitor Drivers

Generic PNP Monitor Drivers: Want to operate Panasonic PT-L300U projector DVI input from 2017 HP laptop; a 2006 Dell PC successfully drives it. Both laptop and PC are Windows 10. Both laptop and PC drive old DVI monitor; laptop via HDMI to DVI cable; PC by DVI/DVI cable. In Device Manager when...
  7. Hyper V generic Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper V generic Error: Hyper V quick create leads to a generic error. I had a vm installed but this failed and now I cannot recreate one. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-generic-error/a48f51c9-f8c0-4183-91ea-d2eb676852e1
  8. Generic PnP Monitor

Generic PnP Monitor: I am using a Microsoft Surface Book 2 with a Surface Dock connected to an Electriq 24' 4K HDR monitor via a mini DP to HDMI adapter. I cannot get anything on the monitor to appear. I can switch from extend, duplicate and display on monitor 2 and it does nothing, aside from...
  9. 'Generic PnP monitor' issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    'Generic PnP monitor' issue: I have problems with display drivers. The device manager shows an error 'Generic PnP monitor'. I’ve updated graphic drivers to the latest version but now the monitor is no longer recognized and I see a black screen. I reinstalled Windows, reinstalled drivers from the...
  10. Generic PNP monitor

Generic PNP monitor: Hello, I use a CAD program that apparently has a problem with my ASUS 4K monitor. Seems I've tried every which way to get Window to recognize my monitor but, all I get is . . generic PnP monitor with an old 2006 driver. I've downloaded the current monitor but, Windows...