Windows 10: Installing multiple logical printers

Discus and support Installing multiple logical printers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In all previous versions of Windows, I had been able to setup multiple logical printers. Each logical printer would have different specifications such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by userdoba, May 4, 2016.

1. userdoba Win User

Installing multiple logical printers

In all previous versions of Windows, I had been able to setup multiple logical printers. Each logical printer would have different specifications such as color draft, color photo, B&W draft, B&W Quality, etc. That way I could select a printer based on what I wanted to do, rather than having to change specifications each time I wanted to do something different.
    I would simply add a new printer for each specification I wanted. Windows 10 is not letting me do this. How do I do it?

:)

userdoba, May 4, 2016

2. Nokia XL Issues

you mean I have to add multiple recipients 1 by 1? then what the hell logic behind creating group???

saimaaziz01, May 4, 2016
  3. printer redirecting not work with remote desktop windows 10 pro

Hello Andree,

Sorry but not if I have explained
    well. I connect with remote
    desktop to a home computer where I have installed
    W10.

I use to connect multiple operating systems,
    because depending on the location in which
    a computer or other is used, but always
    against W10.

From a recent Windows update, when I connect
    remotely unique and I can only
    print to the printer that is locally installed on the
    W10, except one of the computers
    use to connect with that
    if I print to the printer the remote computer
    is installed.

The printer driver have it installed
    on both the client and server, as I use
    the same printer model in multiple locations, so
    I do not think it driver
    problem.

Thanks for your help.

sergiogilr, May 4, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Hi and Welcome.

What happens when you try to add a printer?
    How are you trying to add them?
    I have Windows 10 x64 Pro and can add multiples of the same printer with no issues.

pbcopter, May 5, 2016
  5. userdoba Win User
    The first printer disappears and is replaced by the second printer

userdoba, May 5, 2016
  6. pbcopter Win User
    What process do you use to add the printer?

Is it a network printer?

pbcopter, May 5, 2016
  7. userdoba Win User
    I'm using Control Panel/View Devices and Printers/Add a printer or scanner

userdoba, May 5, 2016
  8. pbcopter Win User

Is it a network printer?
    Do you add it as a local printer?

pbcopter, May 5, 2016
  9. pbcopter Win User
    This is my procedure for installing different editions of the same printer:

I install the first edition of the printer as usual.
    Then I select it and at the top select Print Server Properties
    Under the ports tab, find your printer an make note of the port that it is connected to.

I install another edition by using the Control Panel/View Devices and Printers/Add a printer,

Select The printer that I want isn't listed near the bottom

Select Add a local printer.... (at bottom of list)

Press next

Use the pull down menu next to Use an existing port and select the port that the first edition printer uses.

Press next

Continue to install the printer as normal, naming it as you will.

Then go into printer preferences and customize that edition as desired.

This process can be repeated for other editions of the printer.

pbcopter, May 5, 2016
  10. userdoba Win User
    After The computer completes it search for devices unsuccessfully, I select The printer that I want isn't listed.
    I select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
    I use an existing port: USB001(virtual printer for USB)
    I select the appropriate printer driver
    I select use the driver that is currently installed
    I type in a new name for the printer configuration I want such as B&W Draft, B&W Quality, Color Draft, Color Matte, Color Photo.
    After the first printer configuration is established, I repeat the process to establish the second and subsequent printer configurations,
    but after having created the first printer configuration, it disappears and is replaced by the second one I create. Instead of having two separate printer configurations, there is still only one. If I can't create two separate configurations, I obviously will not be able to create five as I have always been able to do before in every Windows OS from 95 to 8.1

userdoba, May 5, 2016
  11. pbcopter Win User
    Are you sure it disappears?.
    I my case, using the same procedure as you, the original printer is just hidden. Right click on the printer that remains, Under each of the categories, See whats printing, etc., you should see two or more printers listed. Also each of the printers will appear on the list of printers in all applications.

I think that this is unique to USB virtual ports, as network printers do not act this way.

pbcopter, May 5, 2016
  12. userdoba Win User
    You are absolutely correct Pbcopter. There is only one printer listed, but any other configurations I create show up when I right click it. Furthermore, the other printers do appear on the list of printers in all applications. Windows 8.1 does something similar (showing the additional printers when I right click), but it also shows an icon for all of the printers. Since Windows 10 did not do this, I didn't think the other configurations were being created. Thanks for hanging in there with me on this. You were a great help.

userdoba, May 6, 2016
  13. pbcopter Win User

You're most welcome. Glad to be of help.

pbcopter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing multiple logical printers - Similar Threads - Installing multiple logical

2. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opted to...
  3. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opting to...
  4. Multiple Entries for Multiple Printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple Entries for Multiple Printers: I am uncertain if this is by design, and if so, I understand. I support a traveling comms team that supports a VIP user. Part of their travel procedure involves setting up a comms room at the various hotels they stay at, and as part of that they connect various printers via...
  5. Issue with multiple printers installing from group policy.

Issue with multiple printers installing from group policy.: We recently implemented a print server and have been deploying printers via group policy. We are running into an issue of it installing multiple copies of the same printer per user who logs into the PC. We have noticed this is only happening with certain models of Xerox...
  6. Deleting multiple printer installations

Deleting multiple printer installations: My Windows 10 has accumulated multiple instances of the same two printer installations. Some are named copy 1, copy 2, etc. One is greyed out. One, the only install of that printer shown in Devices and Printers is actually labeled Copy 1. Is there any way to clean up...
  7. multiple printers listed

multiple printers listed: Hi, how do I remove multiple listing of the same printer from windows 10? it only shows up on my Mail App and properties of the Printer. thankx. [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Multiple printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple printer: I have multiple printers connected to this PC and am using Windows 10. Is there a way I can have the computer ask which printer to use when I submit a print job, rather than just using the printer that was used most recently?...
  9. Printer driver installs multiple times successfully

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Printer driver installs multiple times successfully: When I turn on my backup machine (Win 10 home, 1607 14393.1480) it installs a printer driver multiple times successfully. How can I mark this so it doesn't continually update? [img] 89258
  10. Multiple printers

Multiple printers: I have two printers both connected by USB. One is a Lexmark Mono Laser and the other is a Canon colour Ink Jet. I do not want to set either of them as the default. The Lexmark will be used for B & W printing of letter heads and envelopes. Ideally I want to set the Lexmark up...