Windows 10: Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty

Discus and support Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I replaced a hard drive under warranty. 2GB WD. I received in it in the mail, hooked it up with a sata to USB cable to copy everything off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChadBonk, Feb 13, 2017.

1. ChadBonk Win User

Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty

Recently I replaced a hard drive under warranty. 2GB WD. I received in it in the mail, hooked it up with a sata to USB cable to copy everything off the bad drive before I installed the new one. I formatted it, and created a (GPT Protective Partition) Upon completion of the transfer, I installed it in the machine. I cant see the internal drive in explorer .... but I can see it in Disk Mgmt and in Bios. I can't intialize it. The only option it gives is me is to convert it to a dynamic disk, that in which when I do... it errors back that I don't have enough space. Suggestions?

Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty [​IMG]

Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty [​IMG]

The drive also comes up that it has 100% Free Disk space... which I hope is untrue being that it hasn't been intialized and fully read yet. Worst case... I can format it and start from scratch since I have the other drive to copy from again. However, I don't see an option to do that either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

ChadBonk, Feb 13, 2017

2. Windows COA Recovery

The HP Envy is my machine. One mother board replaced under warranty, and then that one failed. I still have the total machine. Have removed hard drive, memory and chip in preparation to recycle.

StanleyB34436, Feb 13, 2017
  3. denmarfl Win User
    Windows 10; Installing New OS should HDD Fail

Purchased a New Dell Desktop with Windows10 Home; 64bit.

I just had a terrible experience with Dell's Support....my question to them was ...I thought simple....My Dell Desktop is covered under the Dell Warranty for the 1st Year. Year 2, out of warranty the Hard Drive Fails.....how would I install Windows 10 Home
    so my Desktop will run? He advises Microsoft has not supplied any manufacturer with Windows10 Disc (always got OS Install Disc with all previous Dell PC...for Vista, Windows7 and even Windows8). Nothing came with this New Windows10 Desktop. Tech Agent basically
    said I would use the ID of my Windows10 License and I would be able to re-install Windows 10 on a New hard drive to replace the one that Failed and had a valid Copy of Win10. I asked, how do I find out what my License Number, ID...or whatever its called so
    I can get a replacement Win10 OS?

At this point the Dell agent got a little nasty and said I must call Microsoft.

My scenario could happen...without a Win10 OS Re-install Disc....my PC would be inoperable.

So if Dell can't supply me with a Win10 Install Disc...... what would I do should my PC's Hard Drive Fail.....and a New Hard drive were purchased....to Boot my PC to be able to get it running?

Dell points out that if this happens under the 1 Yr Warranty...they would simply send me a new Hard Drive with a Full factory Image...but after the 1 yr warranty....there is nothing they can do to assist me...UNLESS...I purchase an extended Warranty...which
    they would love me to do.......

denmarfl, Feb 13, 2017
  4. strollin Win User

The issue is that the drive has the GPT Protective Partition, what you wanted was a simple GPT partition scheme. See this article for info on how to remove the Protective Partition which is preventing you from formatting the disk: Troubleshooting GPT Protective Partition Issues

strollin, Feb 13, 2017
  5. ChadBonk Win User
    Fantastic! That worked! Thank You!

ChadBonk, Feb 13, 2017
  6. strollin Win User
    Glad you got it working.

strollin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty - Similar Threads - Installing Hard Drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. is a brand new pc under warranty for virus?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is a brand new pc under warranty for virus?: is a 3 day new laptop under warranty from a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-a-brand-new-pc-under-warranty-for-virus/d4a90a84-e99f-4b2e-96cf-0d9b83866f34
  4. is a brand new pc under warranty for virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is a brand new pc under warranty for virus?: is a 3 day new laptop under warranty from a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-a-brand-new-pc-under-warranty-for-virus/d4a90a84-e99f-4b2e-96cf-0d9b83866f34
  5. is a brand new pc under warranty for virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?: Hello! I have my old laptop Lenovo Y50 non touch since 2015. In the last few years it has really become very slow, especially at the start. At startup it also likes to switch from the lock screen to the password prompt until you can finally write something in. It's...
  7. Getting new hard drive replaced.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting new hard drive replaced.: Something bad happened to my laptop, and I took it to a local engineer, he told me that hard drive needs to be replaced with a new one. My laptop had windows 8 pre installed when I bought it, and I had upgraded it to windows 10 using the official way, thus it had activated...
  8. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. Dead Hard Drive Installing New One

Dead Hard Drive Installing New One: I have the product key from the old hard drive but won't let me use it on the new install. Also, it wouldn't let me get past I don't have a product key page....
  10. Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?

Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?: Hi, I have an activated copy of Windows 10 running on my system. I am thinking of replacing my old HHD with a new SSD. I would want to do a clean install of Windows 10. My question is if Windows 10 will activate. Will it know its the same computer after I've replaced the...