Windows 10: Installing on a brand new SSD with a genuine Win 7 Pro key...?

Discus and support Installing on a brand new SSD with a genuine Win 7 Pro key...? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am new to Windows 10, never used it... Here is my question... I have a new SSD and a genuine Windows 7 Pro key, which I have not used. Do I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EastOfAnduin, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Installing on a brand new SSD with a genuine Win 7 Pro key...?

I am new to Windows 10, never used it... Here is my question...

I have a new SSD and a genuine Windows 7 Pro key, which I have not used. Do I have to install windows 7 with this key on my new SSD first and then upgrade and then clean install windows 10 or is there a way to do a clean install of Windows 10 and then activate using the windows 7 key.

I suspect the answer will be NO but I thought I would ask...

Thanx for the replies...

:)

EastOfAnduin, Feb 8, 2016
  2. SamA329 Win User

Windows 10 update caused error INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

I had this happen to me tonight. Did the in place upgrade of win 10 pro x64 from win 7 pro x64 using the media creation tool.

It then restored the computer back to Win7and had the following message in a box before it loaded the win 7 desktop:

0xC1900101-0x40017 installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during the boot operation.

Win7 restored just fine. This is a brand new 128gb ssd that I reinstalled win 7 pro x64 to. Biostar TA790GX-128M motherboard, Athlon II X2-245 cpu, 4Gb ram. Win 7 has been running fine on it.

Sam

SamA329, Feb 8, 2016
  3. Dual boot on different drives (Windows 7/Windows 10)

I have Windows 7 SP1 with a regular license. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a new SSD I just bought, but since I wish to keep my win 7 for different reasons, I was thinking of a dual boot system with win 7 on my old HD and win 10 on the brand new SSD.
    Is it possible? Do I have to follow any particular procedure?

Giovanni di Fazio, Feb 8, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Installing on a brand new SSD with a genuine Win 7 Pro key...?

No need to install 7. Download 10 Pro from Tech Bench, put it on a USB with Rufus, clean install Windows 10 and put in your 7 Pro key when asked.

Absolutely there is no need to install 7 first.

Where (or who) is Anduin by the way?

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Middle Earth.

cereberus, Feb 8, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Not the really pretty archer man who looked after the hobbits by the barrows?

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  7. Ohh, thanx... this is awesome, made my day.

When they describe Mordor which was under Sauron's control, they say East of Anduin, or something like that...

EastOfAnduin, Feb 8, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

I'll have to look into it. I thought Mordor was south east from Saurons tower but I've probably not checked for 30 years.

I was also thinking of "east of eden" for some reason which is (obviously) not the same thing at all. Or east of Aden which would be perhaps Goa..

Don't worry about your install of 10 using a 7 key - there is not problem doing that...

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I always thought it was Mordrum but maybe I was hearing things.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing on a brand new SSD with a genuine Win 7 Pro key...? - Similar Threads - Installing brand SSD

2. Win 7 installing SSD problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 installing SSD problem: As the subject said,my win 7 pc can't detect my newly installed Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD.I'm using MSI B365M Pro-VH board and its Bios can detect the SSD.I can't even see the SSD in Disk Management.I've tried many methods but none of them works :...
  3. Win 7 installing SSD problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 installing SSD problem: As the subject said,my win 7 pc can't detect my newly installed Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD.I'm using MSI B365M Pro-VH board and its Bios can detect the SSD.I can't even see the SSD in Disk Management.I've tried many methods but none of them works :...
  4. Win 7 Pro Not Genuine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 Pro Not Genuine: About three years ago, I purchased two copies Win 7 Pro operating systems for my desktop and laptop computers, from a very reputable software dealer. I use Win 7 as I have certain proprietary programs that I still need to use and that will not run on Win 10, not even in...
  5. Win 7 Pro Not Genuine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 Pro Not Genuine: About three years ago, I purchased two copies Win 7 Pro operating systems for my desktop and laptop computers, from a very reputable software dealer. I use Win 7 as I have certain proprietary programs that I still need to use and that will not run on Win 10, not even in...
  6. Install My Genuine Windows On New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install My Genuine Windows On New SSD: I have Dell Inspiron Laptop with windows 10 pre-installed in it. I would like to upgrade my HDD to a SSD and do a clean installation of windows 10. But the problem is how can I get the genuine copy of my windows 10 to the new SSD? Can I perform the clean installation to...
  7. Install new SSD & new version of win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install new SSD & new version of win 10 pro: Hi guys, I am going to install a new SSD & new w10. I have got a laptop that I bought from Dell about 5 years ago with windows10 pro pre-installed. Do I need to go and buy a new copy of windows with a new product key or can I download windows from Microsoft using the...
  8. Install windows on a brand new SSD with product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install windows on a brand new SSD with product key: Hi, Currently I'm using windows 10 on a HDD on my desktop. The desktop used to run windows 8, but I upgraded it. (so the product key is used) Using Belarc Advisor, I got my Windows 8 product key. I have a brand new SSD here so I want to upgrade to this SSD. However,...
  9. New clean install on Win 7 Pro Key

New clean install on Win 7 Pro Key: Hi New install of Win 10 Pro appears to have installed all drivers, chipset, graphics audio etc. I previously downloaded all updated drivers that supported Windows 10. Would it be wise to update them or should I stick with the defaults that Windows has installed?...
  10. Product Key of win 7 Pro works in win 10 Pro fresh install

Product Key of win 7 Pro works in win 10 Pro fresh install: I want to install windows 10 pro and win dev tools VS2015 Community... on my MacBook Pro 4-cores/16GB/256GB I have Windows 7 Pro license and VMWare Fusion Pro license What to do??? Product Key of win 7 Pro works in win 10 Pro fresh install...as a VM? Or have to...