Windows 10: Installing programs automatically in drive of my choice

Discus and support Installing programs automatically in drive of my choice in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I' have a SDD in which Win10 is installed, alone (C: drive). In another (D: drive) are programs. I would like to know how to perform it automaticly, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jaca, Jul 15, 2016.

1. jaca Win User

Installing programs automatically in drive of my choice

I' have a SDD in which Win10 is installed, alone (C: drive). In another (D: drive) are programs. I would like to know how to perform it automaticly, I mean always installation in D: See anex, please

:)

2. Cannot get programs off the C: drive

When you install the program, did it give you a choice to choose the E: drive but then installed on the C: drive anyway? What program is it?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 15, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    All programs not listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features?

Programs are supposed to be installed in the same drive where Windows is installed, so that's where Control Panel looks for them.

There's no law on the books against installing programs in a different drive, but if that's your choice you have to deal with the results on your own.

BulldogXX, Jul 15, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

I don't think it's possible, each program has own installer and some don't even ask where to install it. The ones that do ask may also install some parts or right to registry too.

CountMike, Jul 16, 2016
  5. jaca Win User
    Maybe if I maka some "corrections" at registries, but I don not know how. Otherwise, some programas (like Chrome) does not have option for choice

6. cereberus Win User
    You can use symlinks to fool OS to do this but not recommended.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing programs automatically in drive of my choice - Similar Threads - Installing programs automatically

2. One drive leaves no choice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive leaves no choice.: One drive leaves no choice. I downloaded some photos and they automatically went to One Drive..no choice.Then not accessible to Lightroom. How can I delete one drive from my computer?...
  3. One drive leaves no choice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive leaves no choice.: One drive leaves no choice. I downloaded some photos and they automatically went to One Drive..no choice.Then not accessible to Lightroom. How can I delete one drive from my computer?...
  4. Moving PC installs - is PCMover my best choice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving PC installs - is PCMover my best choice?: I'm about to get into shuffle-the-PC's in a big way and I was wondering what the most painless method of migrating everything (settings for Windows, settings for Windows apps like Mail, applications, etc) between dissimilar PC's. I'm already moving things I can outright...
  5. Import photos to a drive and folder of my own choice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Import photos to a drive and folder of my own choice: In all of my photo import possibilities (Photos, Nikon Transfer, etc), files are automatically sent to One Drive, which I do not wish to use. Even if I select a different folder (eg. images/..my own folder name..) it adds that folder to one drive. I tried disabling One...
  6. Windows Snip it program doesnt list mapped drive as a choice location to save

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Snip it program doesnt list mapped drive as a choice location to save: This is on a fresh install of Windows 10. At work we use the snip program a lot and save the snips in a mapped "I" drive. Worked well under Windows 7. Windows 10 sees the drive through file explorer just fine Our problem is when using the snip it program, the drive isn't...
  7. Choices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Choices: Is anyone else tired of being told I can't do something can't disable quick access in file explorer can't remove Bing can't get Cortana do use Google can't use network sharing any more and the list goes on,] I'm sure you have a few things to add as well Why does it...
  8. Are automatic updates the best of bad choices.?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Are automatic updates the best of bad choices.?: This article talks about forced video driver updates causing significant problems. Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems - Forbes On my wife's Win 7 dual monitor setup an "optional" update caused problems with the setup of one monitor. Reverting to the...
  9. Force App to Install In Folder of My Choice?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force App to Install In Folder of My Choice?: So I finally got Windows10 up and running. And activated even! Despite having been an insider it was looking like I was going to have to buy a license, but at the last minute it Automagically Activated itself. For whatever reason, but I somehow got "stuck" on build 10130. I...
  10. No GWX by choice, should I install it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No GWX by choice, should I install it?: On my Windows 8.1 laptop I have avoided all the GWX updates pushed over the last year. I have hidden the KBs as they were offered and reoffered. I have no GWX icon or any other prompt to get Windows 10. Now is the time for me to install Win 10 on this laptop. I think the...