Windows 10: Installing programs to flash drive/advice?

Discus and support Installing programs to flash drive/advice? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey everyone, so after many google searches I am just confused about how to install programs to my flash drive, I have read that you can use a 3rd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Zesty feline, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Installing programs to flash drive/advice?

Hey everyone, so after many google searches I am just confused about how to install programs to my flash drive, I have read that you can use a 3rd party aplication to make the applications "portable" such as portableapps.com etc however I don't wish to use 3rd party programs, I have also read about the registry having possible problems when using other systems.

Can someone just school me on this subject so I can make a decision and move forward, thank you Tenforums community!

:)

Zesty feline, Jul 16, 2017
  2. Scoowall Win User

Access denied to USB files - Windows 10

I had exactly the same problem. I tried all the fixes listed which did not work. Eventually I found a program called Credant EMS(External Media Shield) which had been installed with a previous flash drive without my knowledge. Some companies automatically
    install the program to protect their systems and I must have transferred it on a drive at some time. After uninstalling the program I can access all my flash drives.

Scoowall, Jul 16, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 16, 2017
  4. georgeks Win User

Installing programs to flash drive/advice?

georgeks, Jul 16, 2017
  5. Zesty feline, Jul 16, 2017
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    It depends on the author/vendor of the software. If a portable form is provided, then extract that form onto the USB drive and one is good to go.

The volunteers at portableapps.com(munity) do the work of converting (with permissions of the authors/vendors) the executable installers into portable form for public download and use.

"[T]o my knowledge that doesn't let you use any of your own applications"

I'm not sure what that means, as it relates to installing portable software.

If no portable form exists, I think whether a software can be installed on a flash drive is dependent on how deeply or complex it interacts with the OS.

pyramid10, Jul 18, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Your question isn't clear. Do you want to install a program on USB to save space on your PC or do you want it to work on other PCs as well?

A portable app is something that you can carry around and preserve your settings when moving from one computer to the next. That is all. It might or might not update the registry but if it does the changes it makes are not important to its running.

Typically if you download a portable version of an app it will contain a folder with whatever it needs in it. This will be the program, and then perhaps some settings files, help text and other supporting programs and files. Just copy that folder onto the USB and run it from there. You don't install portable apps.

If you want to install a program and choose where it stores its files you have 2 options. The installer may (or may not) give you the choice. If it does then fine - you can install it on a USB.

If it doesn't give you the option where you want to install it you'll have to install it where it defaults to and then move the installed program objects from C:\Program Files etc to a USB and either run it from there (if it works) or replace them all with junctions.

For a simple program this might work on another PC and the program may be portable. For a more complex one it will certainly not. For example you could install MS Word and then move the various folders it installs to USB and that would save you space on your C drive. That would not make it portable though. Word still going to look in the registry to find what language you want and what printer you prefer. It is still going to look in C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dotm to find your default paper size and font. Its still going to check the license stored on the PC it was installed on. So even if you move the objects it installs you haven't (and can't) make it portable.

If the program saves its configuration settings to the registry or stores anything else outside of its own directory that it requires to run or requires something or other on the PC then it isn't portable. It doesn't matter if you install it on a USB - that program will only work if the USB is plugged into the computer it was installed on.

You need to clarify your question but if it is "can I make program xyz portable" then unless xyz is extremely small and trivial, probably not. There are exceptions (GOG Games for example) but generally not. You can always try as some developers package simple things (basically portable apps) with installers simply to add a option to the start menu - you can just install it, copy the directory it creates from "C:\Program Files", uninstall it again and try running it.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Installing programs to flash drive/advice?

1. Installing programs to flash drive/advice? - Similar Threads - Installing programs flash

2. installation advice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installation advice: when I install a program I have downloaded offline lets say like 7zip what is the best place to place it in the file directory is it program files the c drive or programfilesx86 and in the case of programs that don't have a installer just a .exe or .msi or .bat file ,that...
  3. installation advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installation advice: when I install a program I have downloaded offline lets say like 7zip what is the best place to place it in the file directory is it program files the c drive or programfilesx86 and in the case of programs that don't have a installer just a .exe or .msi or .bat file ,that...
  4. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  5. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  6. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. finding back up files on win10 flash drive install program

finding back up files on win10 flash drive install program: I can't believe I did that my entire question is in the subject box. I don't know if it will work or not if not guess I'll have to redo. I bought win10 program to install on my pc that had vista on it. Took it to the best buy geek squad and had them do a back up of...
  8. Installing windows 10 in flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 in flash drive: What assignment unit size do i need to choose? I have the options of: 8192,16,32 and 64kb submitted by /u/lililpotato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvgaig/installing_windows_10_in_flash_drive/
  9. installation advice

installation advice: hello i would like to know the whole process and how best can i manuever when i select the option of upgrade this pc...i would like to know whether its advisable to do that because i have no usb drive. Which options do i have to select in order to keep my data safe while...
  10. Embroidery Programs flashing

Embroidery Programs flashing: I have 2 laptops each with a different embroidery program installed on them. They both worked with Windows 7 just fine. I updated to windows 10 a couple of weeks ago after researching to make sure both programs would work with 10. Everything I read said they would. On both...