Windows 10: Installing Programs to One User Only

Discus and support Installing Programs to One User Only in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On older Windows OS's, I've had no trouble using separate user accounts. When I install a program (actual software, not a Windows Store app) on one, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by vm1138, Jun 23, 2016.

1. vm1138 Win User

Installing Programs to One User Only

On older Windows OS's, I've had no trouble using separate user accounts. When I install a program (actual software, not a Windows Store app) on one, it doesn't show up on another user account. Until now.

My wife and I just bought a desktop to share and everything I install shows up on her user account. I've made us both standard users, but stuff keeps showing up. She's a local user and I'm a Live (or whatever they're calling it now) user account. I've tried changing the directory of the installation to just my user folder, but it still shows up on her desktop (just as a generic icon, not the actual icon associated with the program on my user account).

What the heck? Is this a new Windows feature I'm supposed to love or am I missing something?

To make things even weirder, she installed Word on hers and it doesn't show up on mine. But everything else is shared between us and I don't understand why.

:)

vm1138, Jun 23, 2016
  2. osasapers Win User

How do I install a program only for one user.

The title is pretty self-explanatory.

Pretty much all I want is when I install a game just for me it doesn't appear on the other user accounts on the computer because I share

a PC with my family.

I've already done some research and I don't even know if it is possible. I've heard some programs have to option to install only for one user account.

But the games and programs that I installed didn't. Is there any way I can fix this?

Thank you for reading this.

osasapers, Jun 23, 2016
  3. How do I install a program only for one user.

It is only possible if the program itself was built with that option in mind by the team/creator of the program.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 23, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

When you install a program the locations of shortcuts and menu items are often dictated by the original programmer and you may not get the option of altering these during the installation. They can be influenced by what type of account you have as well.

The program will be there for all users, you just might need to look in the Program Files folders and copy the shortcut or make a new shortcut.

This is the location where the shared program shortcuts should end up: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Individual users shortcuts end up in the AppData folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You can move the shortcuts around if you want to change the way they appear in your two accounts, but you would need to be in an administrator account to be able to do this.

Hope this helps.

philc43, Jun 23, 2016
  5. vm1138 Win User
    Thank you, I'll give that a shot when I get home. I don't mind tinkering with things when I install them, but she's not the type to want to do anything. I'm trying to make things as unobtrusive as possible for her. I'll let you know if it does the trick!

vm1138, Jun 23, 2016
  6. Maybe there are different kinds of shortcuts, but the ones I've encountered lately for "shared" programs have gone into C:\Users\Public\Desktop. To give these shortcuts to just one user I move them to C:\Users\userid\Desktop And by the way, even though the path to the public desktop folder ends in "Desktop", it displays as "Public Desktop". I have no idea why.

pokeefe0001, Jun 23, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    The desktop shortcuts are different and are optionally added during the installation process. The locations you have provided are correct for these. The shortcuts I was referring to are the entries that appear in the start menu under All Apps.

philc43, Jun 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Dealing with the shortcuts is just one aspect though. Consider programs that
    a. start their own services- for which user?
    b. define their own working storage folders - which could be in various user folders.
    c. start their own software drivers (not hardware related) running - for which user?
    d. create a scheduled task - for which user?

I'm sure there must be sthg else.
    Some program installers offer clear prompts on this, some you have to watch very carefully. Others may offer no choice.

dalchina, Jun 25, 2016
  9. vm1138 Win User
    The solution that worked for me was this: when installing I would look for an advanced option and de-select "create desktop shortcut." Then I would go into the folder and create a shortcut on my desktop. Kind of a clunky work-around but it does the trick. Thanks, guys!

vm1138, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Programs to One User Only - Similar Threads - Installing Programs User

2. how to install a app in only one user...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to install a app in only one user...: in my home i use localother user account.. so whenever I install a app. its actually able .. see by other account's too... so is there , way to install a app enable to use and see by a single user only..btw the Microsoft store does it already . the app I installed from ....
  3. how to install a app in only one user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to install a app in only one user...: in my home i use localother user account.. so whenever I install a app. its actually able .. see by other account's too... so is there , way to install a app enable to use and see by a single user only..btw the Microsoft store does it already . the app I installed from ....
  4. how to install a app in only one user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I install an app for only one user?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I install an app for only one user?: I want to install a game, but only for my gaming account. I don't want this app to take up storage space on the other account. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-an-app-for-only-one-user/cabdebb2-8cd1-47b9-b505-1350b93b3d80
  6. How to download programs for one user only?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to download programs for one user only?: I am the admin and there are 3 local accounts, whenever I download something (admin or local), it shows up on the 3 other accounts? How to change download location? submitted by /u/qwertyuiop098765420 [link] [comments]...
  7. Revert apps/programs to one user only?

in Windows 10 Support
    Revert apps/programs to one user only?: When I install anything, I usually tell the app/program to install it for all users, since I've been the only user of the machine. Now I want to add a second Windows account for my wife, and to keep her desktop clutter down, I want to remove the shortcuts for stuff that only...
  8. [help] install program on only one user?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [help] install program on only one user?: I am an admin, and I am trying to install a program on that account. However it also installs it on the standard account. When I try to uninstall the program or delete the icon from the standard account, it also deleted from the admin account. Is there a solution for this?...
  9. How to install application for only one user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install application for only one user: Hi How to install Microsoft office for one user. Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-application-for-only-one-user/83771954-56f5-4abc-a2ab-0a4c9999b7ca
  10. Downloading Programs For One User Only

in Windows 10 Customization
    Downloading Programs For One User Only: Hello, I was wondering how I can go about downloading programs, apps and games without having it appear on the desktop of another user on the same PC? I am the admin of the PC and I have another user account set up for my brother to use. Whenever I download programs only...